Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1.1 Supercharger Throttling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe throttling happens when owners charge excessively at over 90%. Don't believe that just regular frequent supercharging will trigger it.

I was on a road trip, and charging to 100% several times in succession. Got a warning that this was not good for the battery, and could result in throttling. I was charging to 100% because I was eating meals on the trips, and figured I would just top off instead of running in the middle of the battery capacity as is prudent and more efficient.

I not longer charge over 90% and all is well with the World...

Supercharger throttling is based on some undisclosed session or energy threshold for DC fast charging.

The 100% nag you're referencing is hard coded into every car and irrespective of charging method. If you charge to 100% three times in a row on a 120v level 1 charger you'll get the same warning as you would if you supercharged to 100% three times in a row.

Numbers do matter. In this case, it's a correct version number.

2019.12.11 is a valid release number. I received it last night. See the tracker.
Can you show us where you are seeing it in "the tracker" or perhaps share a screenshot for your app or a photo from your car?

TeslaFi doesn't show 2019.12.11 as a valid version. I know another tracker allows manual entry which allows for user-entry errors.

Numbers do matter. In this case, it's a correct version number.

2019.12.11 is a valid release number. I received it last night. See the tracker.

What is the 7 character hash after the version number? For example "4b1dd29" - post a picture of your screen.

5,555 active cars reporting firmware version on Teslafi - not a single one with 2019.12.11.

TeslaFi was my initial fw tracker, but TMC put together a more encompassing database at:
Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

ev-fw allows people to enter version numbers manually. Someone (incorrectly) entered 2019.12.11 by hand.

Teslafi ONLY pulls data directly from the car via the API, and is much more trustworthy in that regard.

Okay, so I’m blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other, I guess. :(

My apologies; 2019.12.1.1 is correct. Guess I shouldn’t post running out the door for dinner. Sigh.

I almost made the same mistake after getting the 2019.12.1.1 (not 2019.12.11) update... without running out the door for dinner... but I did have an awesome glass of Stone Brewing 10.5% Totalitarian Espresso Imperial Russian Stout before my brain "glitch". You story sounds more "PC". I'll use it next time. :cool:

I almost made the same mistake after getting the 2019.12.1.1 (not 2019.12.11) update... without running out the door for dinner... but I did have an awesome glass of Stone Brewing 10.5% Totalitarian Espresso Imperial Russian Stout before my brain "glitch". You story sounds more "PC". I'll use it next time. :cool:
Odd thing was, I updated early today, had to go out in the afternoon, and first time out, the air conditioner was dead. Rebooted and still dead. Called in in and they had me do a power off and back on after a few minutes. Still nothing. It was 100 degrees after sitting in partial sun after 20 minutes or so.

Got home, searched here to see if it had happened to anyone else (I recall it had happened to someone a long time ago) but fat fingered the release number and saw this thread.

In my defense, I had just returned home, had forgotten to put my E-ZPass back after using it a few days ago in my old ICE that I FINALLY sold after it sitting in the driveway over 2 years, thinking that if something happened and the S had to go in for repairs I could fall back to the old Infiniti. Sweating my butt off, took back roads so I didn’t have to sit in a long line waiting to pay blood money on the toll road, and can’t get Tesla service for a week.

So, long story short, while I didn’t have anything to drink, and should have seen the decimal point, I was not seeing straight hence the screwup.

I’ve since had a few glasses of wine at dinner, so all’s right again, almost. I just turned climate control on, and hours ago it was still not cooling, now it is working.

Time to crack open the bourbon.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Tesla hasn't disclosed what causes a battery to be throttled but it is believed to be triggered at some level of kW added through high speed charging (not just supercharging but also CHAdeMO charging) on certain batteries (the 90s and the 75s).

Also occasionally charging to 100% is OK and actually is good as it balances the battery, but you should drive immediately afterward to get it back down to 90% or less. From what I've read, the damage occurs when the battery is left sitting at 100%.

Have you ever received a warning about being throttled?
BTW What is balancing? It is making all the series battery groups have the same voltage. That can be and is done at any battery state of charge. It is not necessary to arrive at some state of charge to begin the balance process. The battery management system is always seeking to balance the battery.

If you read something else, please let me know.

Have you ever received a warning about being throttled?
BTW What is balancing? It is making all the series battery groups have the same voltage. That can be and is done at any battery state of charge. It is not necessary to arrive at some state of charge to begin the balance process. The battery management system is always seeking to balance the battery.

If you read something else, please let me know.

There is no notification when the car is throttled--the charge rate at superchargers just declines. I'm honestly not sure if the decline happens all at once or is gradual because I really didn't pay that close of attention to the charge rate until I started consistently seeing that is was significantly slower at several different supercharger locations. I initially attributed that to hot weather but once the slower charge rates continued into the cooler months, I took the car into the service center, and they confirmed it was throttled.

As to you balancing question, I would suggest reading other threads on the issue as there are many people on here with much more battery knowledge than me. I only know what I've read on here posted by others who's opinions I respect.

My S75 AP 2.0 only maxes around 94kw for v2 supercharging. I think this is a software limit but I might be wrong as the S100 v2 charging rate is much faster (120 is it?). I was wondering too if it is a software limit will they consider raising it. OR is the 75S battery pack somehow different or charging apparatus to max at 94kw v2 supercharging. Maybe this limit was raised in AP 2.5 versions of the 75D?

My S75 AP 2.0 only maxes around 94kw for v2 supercharging. I think this is a software limit but I might be wrong as the S100 v2 charging rate is much faster (120 is it?). I was wondering too if it is a software limit will they consider raising it. OR is the 75S battery pack somehow different or charging apparatus to max at 94kw v2 supercharging. Maybe this limit was raised in AP 2.5 versions of the 75D?

Your pack size is the limitation.

This is what people (including myself) are seeing raised with 2019.12.1.1. Prior to 12.1.1 I would see about 94kw peak on my 2017 S 75. After getting 12.1.1 with preconditioning en route to superchargers I saw 103+ kw multiple times this week. I say 103+ because I was never lower than about 35% SOC and folks seeing up to 110kw were at about 20%, so it may be as high as that. The ramp down is slower too, making the overall charging time shorter. It’s awesome. :) — Dan

The 75s maxed out in the mid-90s prior to this upgrade, so your charge rate is right on. Hopefully the rate will be higher after this update.

OP, I don't know what you mean by "throttling" except maybe the natural scale down of charging speed as the battery SOC goes up. To me this is normal behavior.

Yesterday I charged at a 72KW charger from 14% after a long drive. It took about 40 minutes for me to get from 14% back to 80%? Basically the time it took me to meander over to a nearby Starbucks and slurp down a frosty Moca Chip Frappaccino. It was a slower Supercharger but it seemed to charge quickly IMO. I had set the Supercharger as the destination and so maybe the "battery preparation" feature kicked in. I don't think the charging speed ever dropped below 65KW.

OP, I don't know what you mean by "throttling" except maybe the natural scale down of charging speed as the battery SOC goes up. To me this is normal behavior.

Yesterday I charged at a 72KW charger from 14% after a long drive. It took about 40 minutes for me to get from 14% back to 80%? Basically the time it took me to meander over to a nearby Starbucks and slurp down a frosty Moca Chip Frappaccino. It was a slower Supercharger but it seemed to charge quickly IMO. I had set the Supercharger as the destination and so maybe the "battery preparation" feature kicked in. I don't think the charging speed ever dropped below 65KW.

Search the forum—there is an epic 100+ page thread on the subject that will get you up to speed.

Reactions: kavyboy