Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 X vs 2020 X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im looking to buy a model X, and the only years with significant inventory in my price range are 2018 and 2020. Are there any significant changes between these model years I should know about?

I’ve heard there was a computer upgrade and that raven motors were introduced at some point (although I’m not sure on which trim levels).

Any major flaws they fixed over those years?

Thanks

18 is older autopilot though if you have fsd is a free upgrade to autopilot 3, 100d has max 294 miles. My main battery died at 90k so luckily got a remanufactured raven battery so is now supercharging at faster rate. 2020 has Raven bat so max is 334 miles, better suspension, true 1 pedal driving,

Upvote 0
The 2020 would have a year remaining on the warranty depending on the mileage.

If you are buying this through Tesla you get an additional 1 yr/10,000 Mike warranty on the car effective when the existing warranty runs out.

Of course you have 8 years battery/drive train on both of them.

Good luck and let us know what your decision is and the specs on the car you bought.

-stew

Upvote 0
@Tleroy14, I would expect that you would find the 2020 a good bit more expensive as the Ravens are considered more desirable, as all these responses are indicating. Other than price, the only other downside of the 2020 is that the 8 year battery warranty was for unlimited miles up to February 2020. After that there is a 150,000 mile limit for model X.

Regarding 1 pedal driving, I have it on my model 3 but do not have it on my 2017 model X. I hardly notice the difference. Regenerative braking slows the car down to less than 5 mph. So I step on the brake to bring it to a complete stop. Sure, never touching the brake with 1 pedal driving is neat, but regenerative braking is what really makes EV driving different, not that last 5 mph.

Upvote 0
@Tleroy14, I would expect that you would find the 2020 a good bit more expensive as the Ravens are considered more desirable, as all these responses are indicating. Other than price, the only other downside of the 2020 is that the 8 year battery warranty was for unlimited miles up to February 2020. After that there is a 150,000 mile limit for model X.

Regarding 1 pedal driving, I have it on my model 3 but do not have it on my 2017 model X. I hardly notice the difference. Regenerative braking slows the car down to less than 5 mph. So I step on the brake to bring it to a complete stop. Sure, never touching the brake with 1 pedal driving is neat, but regenerative braking is what really makes EV driving different, not that last 5 mph.

1 Pedal driving aside, it's really the other upgrades that make the Raven models more desirable.

• More efficient motors that are more powerful and give you longer range.
  • Newer battery tech with Faster 225kW Supercharging.
  • Adaptive suspension that makes a big difference in ride quality.
  • And all Raven models have MCU 2 & the FSD computer.
I'm sure there are additional changes, but those are the important ones

Upvote 0
To have the Pre-Refresh X HOLD after coming to a stop (either by applying the brakes or slowing to a stop) you simply press hard on the brake pedal. You will see a HOLD indicator on the top right of the drivers console. You can then release the brake pedal and the car will HOLD it's position.

-stew

Reactions: GasNah
Upvote 0
To have the Pre-Refresh X HOLD after coming to a stop (either by applying the brakes or slowing to a stop) you simply press hard on the brake pedal. You will see a HOLD indicator on the top right of the drivers console. You can then release the brake pedal and the car will HOLD it's position.

-stew
This ^

After using this method for years in my 2015 MS85, I feel like 1 pedal driving in the Raven models is just an added bonus to all of the other much more important features.

Upvote 0