Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 MR vs 2022 RWD Model 3 - great progress

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In April of this year I realized the resell value of my 2018 Mid-Range (MR) was through the roof. I ordered a new model 3 RWD while also looked at several other cars that did not match up. I put a deposit on an i4, but the end of the tax credit dulled my interest since it is about $10k more than the Tesla for similar features and it would take approximately forever to arrive.

That's ok, I really love this new Model 3 RWD. I still love the looks, the MSM paint is incredible, and I it still drives fabulous.

The price was great. The new car is only $990 higher in base price. I sold the old car for $44k. I upgraded to a new and improved car for $4490 plus delivery, taxes and fees. I went from 35k to 8 on the odometer and got a brand new warranty. :) Even better, the improvements and upgrades in the new car are incredible.

Some comparisons:

--2018 MR features over 2022 RWD
  • premium audio -- new system still sounds pretty great.
  • homelink -- I do miss that
  • floor mats, frunk mat -- not that expensive.
  • fog lights -- only used them a few times
  • center console storage tray -- really ?
  • one year premium connectivity
  • one year supercharging
  • mobile charger -- ( I did get a new one based on my April 8 OD, but newer orders do not get it. )
  • faster 0-60 time (5.2 < 5.8) I don't notice it.

--2022 RWD features over 2018 MR
  • Basic Autopilot included -- I had to pay $2000 back in 2018. This is a big win.
  • Interior improvements -- console materals and design, door cards, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • Inductive phone charging -- love love love it
  • front side window glazing -- I have read this but have no way to confirm it
  • Power trunk !!!-- that was unexpected.
  • AMD Ryzen Media CPU -- another big win
  • FSD computer + Tesla vision -- is this really better ? idk.
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • ? anything else ?

--undecided
  • Easy entry profile settings for steering wheel and seat - I don't see them. This was really nice. ? Am I missing this somewhere ?

-- range
  • 2018 MR: 264. This was achieved by a software update. I think I saw it once.
  • 2022 RWD: 267.

--delivery time
  • 2018 MR: 22 days
  • 2022 RWD: 155 days

--prices
  • 2018 MR : $46000 - $7500 tax credit
  • 2022 RWD : $46990

--purchase
  • final: $46990 (new RWD) + $1500 (wheels) - $44000 (sell 2018 MR) = $4490 + delivery, tax & fees !

Oh, and I had to buy floormats for $120 and new garage remote for $12. That's ok.

1600px-Tesla_Model_3_China_002.jpg

(Source: Jengtingchen, CC BY-SA 4.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post. Another difference I saw was LFP batteries: my 2022 model 3 suggest to charge the car at 100% once a week. This was unexpected.
The LFP battery's flat voltage curve except when close to 100% or 0% makes it more likely that the BMS will lose the true state of charge if it does not see states of charge close to 100% or 0%. If it does lose the true state of charge, it may result in a sudden drop to 0% at a somewhat low state of charge.

However, the LFP battery is likely to lose less capacity than the NCA battery, regardless of what level you charge it. If you do want to try to preserve capacity as much as possible, you can charge to 70% daily, but 100% once per week or so (or when you need the extra range). With an NCA battery, you would want to charge daily to 55% except when you need the extra range. In either case, setting charging to finish just before you drive off minimizes the time spent at high state of charge.

Reactions: tm1v2 and pipestem
In April of this year I realized the resell value of my 2018 Mid-Range (MR) was through the roof. I ordered a new model 3 RWD while also looked at several other cars that did not match up. I put a deposit on an i4, but the end of the tax credit dulled my interest since it is about $10k more than the Tesla for similar features and it would take approximately forever to arrive.

That's ok, I really love this new Model 3 RWD. I still love the looks, the MSM paint is incredible, and I it still drives fabulous.

The price was great. The new car is only $990 higher in base price. I sold the old car for $44k. I upgraded to a new and improved car for $4490 plus delivery, taxes and fees. I went from 35k to 8 on the odometer and got a brand new warranty. :) Even better, the improvements and upgrades in the new car are incredible.

Some comparisons:

--2018 MR features over 2022 RWD
  • premium audio -- new system still sounds pretty great.
  • homelink -- I do miss that
  • floor mats, frunk mat -- not that expensive.
  • fog lights -- only used them a few times
  • center console storage tray -- really ?
  • one year premium connectivity
  • one year supercharging
  • mobile charger -- ( I did get a new one based on my April 8 OD, but newer orders do not get it. )
  • faster 0-60 time (5.2 < 5.8) I don't notice it.

--2022 RWD features over 2018 MR
  • Basic Autopilot included -- I had to pay $2000 back in 2018. This is a big win.
  • Interior improvements -- console materals and design, door cards, window and lock switches, steel steering wheel rollers
  • Inductive phone charging -- love love love it
  • front side window glazing -- I have read this but have no way to confirm it
  • Power trunk !!!-- that was unexpected.
  • AMD Ryzen Media CPU -- another big win
  • FSD computer + Tesla vision -- is this really better ? idk.
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Matrix lights
  • Heatpump
  • LFP power battery
  • LI-ion 12V battery
  • ? anything else ?

--undecided
  • Easy entry profile settings for steering wheel and seat - I don't see them. This was really nice. ? Am I missing this somewhere ?

-- range
  • 2018 MR: 264. This was achieved by a software update. I think I saw it once.
  • 2022 RWD: 267.

--delivery time
  • 2018 MR: 22 days
  • 2022 RWD: 155 days

--prices
  • 2018 MR : $46000 - $7500 tax credit
  • 2022 RWD : $46990

--purchase
  • final: $46990 (new RWD) + $1500 (wheels) - $44000 (sell 2018 MR) = $4490 + delivery, tax & fees !

Oh, and I had to buy floormats for $120 and new garage remote for $12. That's ok.

View attachment 851613
(Source: Jengtingchen, CC BY-SA 4.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International — CC BY-SA 4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)
curious about the price when you bought the MR in 2018. i was able to sell it recently for 40k (33k miles). i think MR was super. unfortunately the trade in value from Tesla was really "bad"

curious about the price when you bought the MR in 2018. i was able to sell it recently for 40k (33k miles). i think MR was super. unfortunately the trade in value from Tesla was really "bad"

mega ditto. I ordered in November at $46000 and got the $7500 credit in March. Last month, Tesla offered me $11400 LESS than I sold it for the next day.