Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.28.2 fixes the charge cord lock sleep issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that today as well. I hadn’t connected the dots and realized it was due to the update. It had never worked for me in the past, but after getting the 28.2 update, it worked for me the first time I tried it. Yay!

I wonder if that will help walk up unlock generally? Or if it's just staying more awake when plugged in? often, my problems with phone-as-key have to do with the car having to wake up and react to my attempt to open the door. After 5+ seconds if I try again it will then at least prompt me for the keyfob on the screen, if the phone hasn't connected. The rest of the time I have problems, I get the prompt and I have to wake my phone for it to connect. Sometimes it works flawlessly, which is nice, but it's probably something like 1/3 wait on car, 1/3 wake phone, 1/3 works correctly.

But I definitely find it annoying that when plugged in and I walk up it takes seconds to react to the attempt (never mind actually unlock the plug)

I wonder if that will help walk up unlock generally? Or if it's just staying more awake when plugged in? often, my problems with phone-as-key have to do with the car having to wake up and react to my attempt to open the door. After 5+ seconds if I try again it will then at least prompt me for the keyfob on the screen, if the phone hasn't connected. The rest of the time I have problems, I get the prompt and I have to wake my phone for it to connect. Sometimes it works flawlessly, which is nice, but it's probably something like 1/3 wait on car, 1/3 wake phone, 1/3 works correctly.

But I definitely find it annoying that when plugged in and I walk up it takes seconds to react to the attempt (never mind actually unlock the plug)
Delete your phone key(s) from your Model 3 entirely and then re-pair again using key cards. This fixed walk up to unlock features for me

Delete your phone key(s) from your Model 3 entirely and then re-pair again using key cards. This fixed walk up to unlock features for me
Was it not working at all, or just intermittently? Mine works flawlessly some of the time, the rest of the time the phone side is working but the car takes ages to wake up, or the phone side isn't working and have to wake the phone (and sometimes this is only discovered AFTER the car wakes up ... )

I wasn't sure how this was supposed to work. I had told my wife you could just yank the cord, or push the button and yank the cord, or something. I swear it had worked once. Then I tried it a whole bunch of times last week and every time I had to open the car door then pull the cord, or go into the app.

Now, with the newer software, it always works on the first.. or second... or maybe third button press :) but no need to open the car door or open the app anymore.

I'm on iOS though so the bluetooth phone key functionality is fairly perfect. YMMV. I assume if you're having issues with phone key in general, you'll also have bad luck with the charge lock.

Reactions: crackers8199
i'm on iOS though so the bluetooth phone key functionality is fairly perfect. YMMV. I assume if you're having issues with phone key in general, you'll also have bad luck with the charge lock.

this would make sense, but i could have sworn last week when the charge cord wouldn't unlock i was still able to open the door (via phone key) and then unlock the handle.

i love the idea of the phone key, but they really need to either get it fixed ASAP or give us the option for a fob. it's just so inconsistent and unreliable that it's almost unusable at this point...

After car goes into deep sleep, charge cable still does not unlock on button press (such as after an overnight charge) on 28.2. Need to lightly press door handle to wake car up, then charge cable will respond.

Basically only works when car isn't in deep sleep...

Yup, ditto that. My phone key works 'perfectly' but when I unplug the charge cable in the morning, I need to pop a door first most of the time.

Anyone have any luck on 34.1?
Actually I just got 34.1 a few days ago and had the first "locked" charge port incident I've had in awhile. The car even tried to close the charge port cover (all by itself) even though the J1772 adapter was still locked in after I pulled the J1772 nozzle off. So I don't know what that was all about. It's almost as if the car was aware that I pulled the nozzle off (which is possible since the J1772 proximity signal was probably forwarded to the Tesla, or at the very least it lost the J1772 pilot signal). But it still refused to release the adapter.

Now this is kind of the behavior I'd want in the case where I wasn't carrying my phone key. But I'm surprised that the car would have attempted to close the cover while the charge port was clearly still locked.

I ended up having to manually use the app to unlock the charge port so I could remove the adapter.

Mine isn't unlocking on 34.1... I'll click unlock charge port and it'll immediately relock.... it's driving me nuts. Someone posted that you hold the thumb button for a second until it turns white, then let go so it grabs the J1772 adapter... I'll try it later. What keeps happening is I'll unlock then pull it out, then the adapter gets stuck locked in, then the door closes and keeps flapping open and closed... not really nice.