Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model X 75D with Dual Motor Badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for advice on a used Model X that has some conflicting info.

Listing here: 2017 Used Model x

I’ve attached some additional pics from the dealership below. While I’m confident this is a 75D, I can‘t figure out why it has Dual Motor Badging on the back (I thought that was only on Raven models?). I’m also not sure why the range is showing 416km (260mi) on the dash (unless the Model X estimates range more in the moment than the 3 that I currently drive). The dealership is adamant it is only at an 80% charge (even though it looks more like 90%), which just doesn’t make sense for a vehicle that should only have 375km (235mi) of range total.

What I think happened is that whoever traded it in/sold it put custom badging on the back and renamed it “Model X Long Range” so they could get a better value. But is there something I’m missing to explain the range?

Appreciate the insight!

6CCA0947-AC88-4F0E-9B60-6070C0E06A5D.jpeg
9B4DDCE2-0EDC-4C4E-A51F-FD05182576F3.jpeg
B49D09A1-1951-44C8-9625-2FFD6D752296.jpeg
5ABF73BA-245E-415E-925D-3B9359E088A0.jpeg

But were there any 100D batteries ever sold that were software locked to 75?
I don’t think so. And to expand on what @outie said, there is a toggle in the display settings where the battery can display either rated or ideal distance. This is something on the S/X cars but not on the 3/Y. Ideal miles are about 25% higher than rated miles. So that 416 km (260 miles) is actually about 333 rated km (208 rated miles).

Reactions: Jffurlan
and renamed it “Model X Long Range”
Haha! I just noticed this detail when I relooked at the pictures. That’s what they named the car! Ok, I think this is an obvious deception, either the dealer got swindled or he is trying to swindle a buyer. Badging, naming, setting display to ideal miles…. And I’m with you, there is no way that battery icon is at 80%. I’d estimate more like 95%.

Reactions: Jffurlan
Cmon folks

Dealer should be able to provide a picture of door jamb sticker showing month and year of manufacture. Which could also be decoded almost as accurately from VIN #

And the first screen shot shows a state of charge pretty close to 95% of max while bottom screen shot of energy graph clearly shows the BMS thinks it can get a range of 236 more km if you just keep going at a rate of 268 Wh/km. Multiply the two and the km (ideal or otherwise) cancels out: the pack holds 63.7 kWh at 95% SoC, so let's just say 67kWh total

I don't care if it ever started as 100kWh: either due to degradation or misrepresentation, we can be real sure it holds a lot less now.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman and Jffurlan
Thanks for all the replies! Was not aware you could show ideal range so that explains the in dash number being so high. @Harvey Danger I did some math on it and clearly did it backwards so I appreciate the breakdown. Definitely confirms that this is not being presented accurately. Have decided to pass; if it seems to good to be true it probably is.

I think my favourite comment from the dealer was the following:
”We have 80% charge now and it shows you the range based on city driving that was done in couple of test drives. On longer highway trips the range will increase.”
In my experience that is definitely not the case lol.

Reactions: Harvey Danger