Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be on a case by case basis. I test drove a AP hardware 2 Model X a month back. Compared to the AP hardware 1 Model X I test drove in November, they felt to be on the same level. This is just my experience test driving cars 6 months apart. It's possible AP1 hardware made progress between November and June.
Yes, I can say that my AP1 Model S has improved since Nov 2016.

I've been reading some of the posts on the AP2.0 thread. Sounds like it is still not to parity with AP1, now 8+ months after release. It is way behind schedule. There has to be serious doubt about Musk's timeline for FSD in just 5 months. Hopefully, AP2 will be better than AP1 by then, but ready for a FSD coast to coast trip???? I'm not going to bet on that.

To be clear, he never promised to release FSD in 5 months...just that the NY - LA "hands-free" demo would be in 5 months.

There has been some discussion on if leverage makes sense at this point. Here are my thoughts. Not advice, just sharing ideas.

I believe for TSLA to overcome the current trading range (aprox 300 to 380), Tesla has to demonstrate "sustainable" profits and for a strong uptrend in stock price, sustainable "growing" profits.

Looking at purely financials we are about to see a series of terrible quarters.
- We all know Q2 financials are expected to be terrible. Basically worst EPS ever.
- Q3: Musk said in previous calls that at low volumes Model 3 will have negative gross margins. That will be on top of growing operating costs (SG&A and R&D) and potentially growing interest expenses. So Q3 financials will be even worse than Q2. Thus yet another worst EPS ever.
- Q4: We had some analyst notes saying that Management is hoping for a positive gross margins on M3 for Q4. I read that as aiming for break even gross margin. This I believe is with the assumption that the ramp goes as expected (reaching 5K/week run rate in Dec). Tesla almost always misses timelines at least by a bit. So whether there will be break even gross margin or not is up in the air. Even then OpEx and other stuff will keep growing. In all likelihood Q4 will also be terrible. There is a good chance that Q4 will be worse than Q3 in terms of EPS. Potentially recording one more worst ever.

2018 Q1 is probably where we will find ultimate relief in financials. The ER for that would be in early May 2018. Up until then I feel like the stock price will be highly speculative.

Obviously the company has a very promising future. That's why the valuation is where it is. But for TSLA to make substantial gains beyond that, I believe Tesla will have to show proof of execution through financials. In other words, the present valuation is all about promise. But here on out it will be more about execution. Show solid volumes, show healthy margins. Then there will be ever more belief in the next round of projects (Semi, Y, AD, etc.).

Considering all this I am inclined to not carry any leverage at all for the next several quarters. On the other hand, except my 401K, every last dollar is invested in TSLA. So I am not worried about missing any upside. Just talking about leverage, I don't believe the risk is worth the reward.
Great post, and well with, I certainly agree.

Trying to predict how the stock will move based on these excitations kind of comes down to wether the market cares more about scary EPS or exciting (hopefully) production and sales volumes. I'm thinking this means a pretty general slow downward trend until delivery numbers, followed by 5% or so sell offs after earnings as algos and sheep traders overreact to fully expected but negative EPS numbers. Perhaps selling OTM calls would be a good strategy over the next few months ( starting after the 28th of course).
This reminds me of the DTU strategy this board came to like last year which worked out very nicely for many of us.

Any thoughts on these musings or possible strategies to play the next few months with short term trades?

There has been some discussion on if leverage makes sense at this point. Here are my thoughts. Not advice, just sharing ideas.

I believe for TSLA to overcome the current trading range (aprox 300 to 380), Tesla has to demonstrate "sustainable" profits and for a strong uptrend in stock price, sustainable "growing" profits.

Looking at purely financials we are about to see a series of terrible quarters.
- We all know Q2 financials are expected to be terrible. Basically worst EPS ever.
- Q3: Musk said in previous calls that at low volumes Model 3 will have negative gross margins. That will be on top of growing operating costs (SG&A and R&D) and potentially growing interest expenses. So Q3 financials will be even worse than Q2. Thus yet another worst EPS ever.
- Q4: We had some analyst notes saying that Management is hoping for a positive gross margins on M3 for Q4. I read that as aiming for break even gross margin. This I believe is with the assumption that the ramp goes as expected (reaching 5K/week run rate in Dec). Tesla almost always misses timelines at least by a bit. So whether there will be break even gross margin or not is up in the air. Even then OpEx and other stuff will keep growing. In all likelihood Q4 will also be terrible. There is a good chance that Q4 will be worse than Q3 in terms of EPS. Potentially recording one more worst ever.

2018 Q1 is probably where we will find ultimate relief in financials. The ER for that would be in early May 2018. Up until then I feel like the stock price will be highly speculative.

Obviously the company has a very promising future. That's why the valuation is where it is. But for TSLA to make substantial gains beyond that, I believe Tesla will have to show proof of execution through financials. In other words, the present valuation is all about promise. But here on out it will be more about execution. Show solid volumes, show healthy margins. Then there will be ever more belief in the next round of projects (Semi, Y, AD, etc.).

Considering all this I am inclined to not carry any leverage at all for the next several quarters. On the other hand, except my 401K, every last dollar is invested in TSLA. So I am not worried about missing any upside. Just talking about leverage, I don't believe the risk is worth the reward.

The other thing to consider is guidance on the earnings reports. Yeah Q4 EPS might be terrible but if they guide for Q1 of 25k S+X and 50k 3's which implies 200% YoY unit growth, the market will be willing to forgive some bad EPS. But overall I agree with your train of thought even though I am a little leveraged at the moment.

What the shorts are up to (in my humble opinion)

SBenson brought up an interesting point regarding likely weakness in Q2 and Q3 ERs. This perceived weakness is the likely motivator for shorts being so willing right now to engage in various short selling tactics. They recognize that without active intervention, the stock price will run up with the approach of the Model 3 reveal, and they are trying to minimize the run up so that they can profit from any weakness in the SP during the months when Model 3's ramp up is still sluggish and the financials look distressing.

The counterpoint to this view is the view held by many longs that Model 3 is so important to the future of Tesla that if it is received well and the ramp up stays on schedule, the short term financials won't matter so much.

Today's trading shows both viewpoints being expressed by traders. There was no news no macro trend that suggested that TSLA should slide downward after high noon. Rather, the volume dipped and shorts simply took advantage of this low volume to sell the stock lower. Unfortunately for them, once TSLA went red, there was a countermove by longs anticipating an upswing for the Model 3 reveal, and the stock price made a nice climb back up to 328+.

Which view best reflects the future? The truth is that we don't know. Shorts will be pulling out the stops, I suspect, to minimize the climb between now and July 28, but they lack the underlying negative sentiment of the SolarCity Merger prelude that allowed their tactics to be so successful up until November of last year. There's also the real possibility that once Model 3 is revealed, received good reviews, and is ramping up, big organizations will start acquiring TSLA again, and then it is off to the races for the stock price. Due to the uncertainty of the short term, however, SBenson's suggestion of avoiding heavy leveraging right now looks like a good one. You want to be in the stock and benefit when it takes off, but the possibility of softness for several months is very real too. I have found a position I am comfortable riding well into 2018, come swan dives or Falcon 9 upward climbs. I'm ready for either.

Today's trading shows both viewpoints being expressed by traders. There was no news no macro trend that suggested that TSLA should slide downward after high noon. Rather, the volume dipped and shorts simply took advantage of this low volume to sell the stock lower. Unfortunately for them, once TSLA went red, there was a countermove by longs anticipating an upswing for the Model 3 reveal, and the stock price made a nice climb back up to 328+.

and the rest ;)

SBenson brought up an interesting point regarding likely weakness in Q2 and Q3 ERs. This perceived weakness is the likely motivator for shorts being so willing right now to engage in various short selling tactics. They recognize that without active intervention, the stock price will run up with the approach of the Model 3 reveal, and they are trying to minimize the run up so that they can profit from any weakness in the SP during the months when Model 3's ramp up is still sluggish and the financials look distressing.

The counterpoint to this view is the view held by many longs that Model 3 is so important to the future of Tesla that if it is received well and the ramp up stays on schedule, the short term financials won't matter so much.

Which view best reflects the future? The truth is that we don't know. Shorts will be pulling out the stops, I suspect, to minimize the climb between now and July 28, but they lack the underlying negative sentiment of the SolarCity Merger prelude that allowed their tactics to be so successful up until November of last year. There's also the real possibility that once Model 3 is revealed, received good reviews, and is ramping up, big organizations will start acquiring TSLA again, and then it is off to the races for the stock price. Due to the uncertainty of the short term, however, SBenson's suggestion of avoiding heavy leveraging right now looks like a good one. You want to be in the stock and benefit when it takes off, but the possibility of softness for several months is very real too. I have found a position I am comfortable riding well into 2018, come swan dives or Falcon 9 upward climbs. I'm ready for either.
I appreciate yours and everyone else's commentary. I just can't help wonder if we might be giving shorts too much credit. Are they really trying to drive the stock down in such a coordinated effort? @Curt Renz 's video on how hedge funds can manipulate the SP is compelling, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical that day in and day out the shorts are constantly doing this. Seems like they would run out of capital. I have to think that a significant amount of investors are just waiting on the sidelines until after July 28 and Aug 2. I think some of them are worried of a repeat of the last dip, so they want a strong positive indicator before buying. Maybe this wait and see approach by investors is what is making the SP so easily manipulated by the shorts, hence they don't need too much capital to do so... so I guess I basically agree with you. Whatever, it was good to write this all out to organize my thoughts.

Edit: fixed grammar

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Chop110 and erha
  • Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Ha, just kidding. I'll sell when the price hits $999 or higher. And then only if it's a reasonable time to sell.

I'll sell when they've gotten to the point where they literally can't get exponentially bigger than they are.

EM said everything can go electric besides rockets. For all we know, we're probably 10 years from electric Tesla planes, 20 years from electric Tesla aircraft carriers. I wouldn't name an exit price point now if you're super long.

Reactions: StapleGun
I appreciate yours and everyone else's commentary. I just can't help wonder if we might be giving shorts too much credit. Are they really trying to drive the stock down in such a coordinated effort? @Curt Renz 's video on how hedge funds can manipulate the SP is compelling, but I can't help but be a bit skeptical that day in and day out the shorts are constantly doing this. Seems like they would run out of capital. I have to think that a significant amount of investors are just waiting on the sidelines until after July 28 and Aug 2. I think some of them are worried of a repeat of the last dip, so they want a strong positive indicator before buying. Maybe this wait and see approach by investors is what is making the SP so easily manipulated by the shorts, hence they don't need too much capital to do so... so I guess I basically agree with you. Whatever, it was good to write this all out to organize my thoughts.

Edit: fixed grammar

For the most part, I think many shorts use very short-term trading to sell when it is high and then buy back, often on the same or next day. Using such techniques, shorts can negatively affect the stock price without getting committing to deeper and deeper holdings. Capping is profitable for shorts, as long as it works, mandatory morning dips can be profitable, and low-volume dips into the afternoon is more likely used to support existing short positions than create an immediate profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.