Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, right now TSLA being resilient compared to peers...
All things considered, TSLA is insanely strong right now

The Tech Wreck on Friday was related to Goldman Sachs comments about FAAMG stocks, mainly software developers and a retailer (Amazon, which is highly software dependent and does not make the products it sells). Apple is mainly software, as its physical products are small and cheap to produce overseas. A short recomendation for Nvidia was also a negative catalyst on Friday, but it is also largely a writer of software; manufacturing chips is relatively cheap and easy.

While Telsa is deep into software and sells physical products, its large and complicated products are self-made, making it largely a capital intensive industrial manufacturing company. The previous sentence can also apply to Tesla's more nearly "peers", the other automakers. Therefore it should not be surprising that TSLA is to the upside right now with the automakers, and not down with the types of companies that were dissed on Friday. Those sellers on Friday who caused TSLA to be dragged down with the FAAMG stocks may have reacted rather hastily with little thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I can't make this data fit with Ihor's latest tweets -- $11.4 billion short interest on 6/9 per Ihor's data implies 31.9M shares short v. 26.9M in the data in your post -- quite a gap even factoring in some noisiness. I guess one possibility is that Ihor is basing his tweets on "real-time" data and the Markit data you are posting is delayed 3 days (i.e., they are using settlement date). That could make the data consistent and would imply a significant amount of shorting over the last three days last week to bring us back to almost 32M shares short/$11.4B short interest.

I'm asking around for clarity. One thing I can say is I find S3 daily data very noisy to my taste. I personally won't draw any conclusions based on it. That's just me.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I think Elon's taunting of shorts is very telling. He said "could be worse" referring to losses they are making. Then he posts a video of two people hanging off a cross, who obviously can't move except for sing.

Somehow the data and what Musk said are pointing to the same thing. Shorts are trapped. If they cover, they are screwed and infact if they cover swiftly they will run themselves into higher prices and greater loses. If they don't cover, they are screwed anyway as buying momentum is increasing and is expected to increase with the upcoming catalysts (M3 and level-4 demo).

Musk has always taken shorts personally. If you think about it, all along shorts have caused greater harm than oil companies, dealers or other auto companies. They spread FUD like crazy. I still remember back in 2013 Cory Johnson went on TV saying that the batteries on Model S last a max of 3 years at which point people would have to replace them with $27K minimum... Their dues are coming up. They have many more billions to pay. This is not going to be pretty.

For longs, this scenario plays as a hedge. As soon as there are any dips, shorts step in to cover. So my big advice to people, if you have to sell, don't sell in a panic.

Last edited:
Talk about whipsawing!

That’s what usually happens after a sudden emotional sell-off based on a herd mentality rather than company specific news. Weak longs continue to bail out, while stronger ones see a dip buying opportunity. Prudent shorts see a chance to cover, while others feel encouraged to short some more.

Before long the price normally tends to stabilize, and often soon returns to the level before the surprise sell-off and resumes the previous trend. If so, that would imply that the fluff has been shaken out and cooler heads are back in charge.

The pattern I noticed is

Operating CashFlow * Growth = Market Cap

Here are all the qualifiers
- Operating Cash Flow is trailing 12 Months (T12)
- Growth is measured in revenue. It is also T12. So it is T12 Revenue over the Prior-T12. It is essentially annual growth measured with latest 4 quarters over the 4 quarters before the latest 4.
- Growth percentage is converted to numeric.

So for example company XYZ has T12 Operating Cashflow of 2Bil and has revenue growth of 30%. The market cap would be ~60 Bil.

This works only for companies that have stabilized their business model. Generally that coincides with consistent positive free-cash-flow but not necessarily. For Tesla the business model should stabilize with volume Model-3 production even though free-cash-flow may not reach positive due to large capex planned for next round of gigafactories… In any case, Q4 maybe too early. Maybe we need at least Q1 to see how operating cashflow is evolving.

One other big caveat, I noticed this pattern play out for past few years, where S&P is more or less fully valued and tech is hot. In bearish markets, the equation may not hold at all.

In any case I was kind of backing from 100Bil market cap to see what sort of Operating CashFlow we need and the answer is 2Bil as growth is assumed at 50%. That’s the only significance of 100. I was just treating 100 as a milestone and trying to asses when Tesla will reach it. So in turn I was trying to see when Tesla will reach 2Bil Operating Cashflow over T12 month period.

The other big dynamic is short covering. If there are early indications of healthy model-3 ramp, shorts may continue to panic. That can accelerate the valuation.
Thanks. It reminds me of PEG, but with OpCF instead of earnings. I wonder how it plays out for the market as a whole. Suppose you look at S&P. Maybe the ratio A = MktCap/OpCF/Grwth evolves with time for the market as a whole. You may be able to apply the current market ratio A back to individual stocks with MktCap = A*OpCF*Grwth. There may be other ways to calibrate this to a broad market, but this may be the easiest.

Essentially, there is some price that the market is willing to pay for growth. That price may change in different markets, bear or bull. But for the same positive operating cash flow or earnings, the market should always be willing to pay more for the stream that is growing faster. This is not so helpful where OpCF is negative. And it is not so helpful if the growth rate is unstable. So a certain maturity of business model is necessary as you point out.

Musk has helped investors by setting the clear expectation that revenue should keep growing at 50% and delivering against that expectation. He can do that even before OpCF is reliably positive. This sets the stage.

Do you have a good idea what really happened on Friday? If not, you have not fully learned your lesson yet. Similar situations may come hurt you again down the road or on another stock. People assume the market makes random moves, or moving based on news. The market/stocks can be manipulated and often they are manipulated. Learn to protect yourself and go against the manipulators.
I am all in (50%) at this point. I am not investing any more in Tesla.

On a RSI basis - TSLA and the rest of the markets were mostly all overbought.. This was a welcome break to work oversold conditions -- I sold a big % of shares and rolled into LEAPS - Jan 2019 - 300 calls.. Plan is to ride them high till July (M3 event) and then will likely sell the 500 or 600 calls against them to create a bull call spread OR --- just buy shares again...

Trade em well - Not an advice - etc...

My parting words as I go on a 8 day vacation:
I'm always amazed how fast nervous nellies and worrisome nancies come out of the woodworks exhorting extreme caution and words of wisdom based on day to day stock market movements. For these soothsayers the next crash is always around the corner. Most of these prophets of doom and gloom will never help you get super rich, at least not through the stock market, though they will definitely make you a wiser investor.
I stay superlong and super leveraged TSLA
Keeping all my J2018 as well as J 2019 calls as well
Not that I'm buying anymore
I got done with my last buying when SP was at $342 or so
My average cost basis is in $240s somewhere or closer to $250 I think
I hold just over 31000 shares of TSLA and over 283 calls with about 40% of those J 2018s rest J 2019s
I believe it's totally wrong to deleverage at this time just when TSLA is about to make a huge move up over the next 3 to 6 months
I'm willing to take short term losses but reducing my margin or selling any of my J 18 calls is not anything that I'm even remotely considering
but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong
Goodluck!
Bon voyage! I will also be taking an 8 day hiatus. To a place the original Anne Boleyn spent a good deal of time. Hoping Tesla moves back up to Friday's numbers!

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Status
Not open for further replies.