Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't plan on selling out completely. But I do want to diversify somewhat, and also have some funds in reserve, for buying when there's blood in the streets. Also I want to actually buy a Tesla at some point. I could buy a Model X with some of the profits from the last year, but it's not exactly a good investment. I have a lot to consider. :cool:

I disagree about it not being a good investment :) it further fuels teslas ability to ramp up model 3 by providing the cash, it advertises electric driving to all your clients / peers, and it is an awesome experience to have arrived in the future, every day you will want to find a reason to drive :)

Loving it since May 2016.

I have to imagine that 300 will be a harder nut to crack than 295 was. I imagine there is a fair number of weak longs willing to take that nice round number for an exit point.

Possibly. But it's certainly not a resistance point. We've never been there before. ;)

With short covering getting more panicky anything is possible.

I ended up unloading a little at 294, getting rid of the gearing. First time I'm ungeared in approximately two years... It really took off in January/February 2016, culminating in buying in with everything I could throw at TSLA at 146, including the deposit for a Model X and a loan from my employer. Also the kitchen sink. It's paying off now. :)

I currently have 65% of my net worth in Tesla, so I am trying to play it almost-sorta safe. (My economist brother thinks I'm nuts.)
Good to play it safe. I have about 25% in Tesla so I'm being much more conservative... but then I'm also living off my investments already, so I have to be conservative to ensure that I have cash for living expenses. Those of you with well-paying jobs can be riskier with your investments.

When I bought my position in the 240s, it was 10% of my net worth, and my brokerage warned me about having a concentrated position. Well, I haven't bought any more since, but it's up to almost 13% of my net worth.

In general, I'm a very conservative investor-- value stocks with strong dividends-- and TSLA goes against all that, but the possibilities for the future are compelling, and losing 10% of my net worth wouldn't meaningfully harm my lifestyle.

are you sure? I had to explicitely ask /tell Schwab I did NOT want my shares loaned to shorts/etc.
get an explicit answer

If he has NO use of margin loans (zero, none), then once the trades settle, his shares are considered "fully paid" and they can't be lent out without special permission. (In Schwab's case, a "Securities Lending Fully Paid" account.) That's an SEC regulation.

The catch here is: if you have any use of margin on your account, the broker can decide which of your shares to loan out. So you may think you're borrowing against your Facebook, and the broker can decide to declare the Facebook fully paid and the Tesla not. That's when you have to call your broker and give explicit instructions.

I'm currently looking at a great deal I spotted on a high-mileage S 90D. I'm under no illusions that its a bad investment, but there's an element of "I don't care, I've wanted one for 5 years already".

Heh... I paid for my Model S well before I started putting any of my freely-spendable cash in TSLA (before that, I was investing with IRA funds which I couldn't take out for over a decade)... priorities, I guess. I admire your patience.

I don't see much covering at Fidelity. Maybe 50-70k shares.
I don't know what the timing on a margin call is though as I have never received one.
Broker discretion. If you're a real big-dog short they can and will phone you any time in the middle of the day and demand wire transfers within minutes!

They might wait longer for small-potatoes investors. If a margin call is triggered, in every case I've heard of they've notified people by the end of the trading day and they usually demand the money by the next morning. I'm not very experienced with this either (this is solely second-hand and fourth-hand information) so others may know better.

Week longs already had multiple chances to get eradicated ... educated.

I guess currently there aren't that many week longs left, they exited under ATH or a bit over it.
When we go into 300, there will only be stronger and stronger longs, holding to their shares seeing the story they have been waiting for all this year finally unfolding. And a bit of new naive shorts wishing farewell to their money.

Why sell now?
There is absolutely no reason at all.

Heh... I paid for my Model S well before I started putting any of my freely-spendable cash in TSLA (before that, I was investing with IRA funds which I couldn't take out for over a decade)... priorities, I guess. I admire your patience.
Eh. Its not really patience when it wasn't an option until just recently. A Model S (even a 3-4 year old used one with decent miles on it) is still in the ballpark of 100% of my annual salary. Its pretty crazy for me to be entertaining the idea of buying one.

Remember that Tencent announced a 5% holding on March 24th. It's an *odd* thing to do to announce an exactly 5% holding -- everyone always goes for 4.99999% holdings to avoid the SEC filing. Many of us believe this means that Tencent is continuing to accumulate shares well beyond 5%.

Speaking of "strong longs".

I've been thinking about becoming a supporter. But since I don't block ads from this site, I can't help but wonder if I'm earning TMC more money with my nearly constant refreshing. :D
When I'm visiting sites that I like, such as TMC, I'm sure to click on ads that are even remotely interesting... Like, that advertisement for the Alpha Romeo that I would never ever buy... Or the ads for the Nissan Titan that I would never ever buy.. You know, interesting things.

Status
Not open for further replies.