Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a negotiation, someone will always threatens something, even if they do go through with the bluff and go on strike, Tesla can always offer a better deal and put everyone back to work the same afternoon, I don't see a big deal here
I doubt they are bluffing.

How many clients of grohman you think will be lost if they walk of the job?
You realized that Tesla recently cancelled all contracts (as far as possible) with other companies and wants Grohmann to work 100% for Tesla and that this is a main reason for the change of mentality among the employees?

I would say the EU is somehow in involved in this as well.
o_O

It is far better for Tesla to sell a $50k-$70k Model 3 than a $50k-$70k Model S.

Higher margins and you protect the resale value of your early adopter owners.

Let cannibalization happen on low margin Model S. Absolutely no need to protect against it.

Not only does it maximize revenue but more important profit.
It's actually better for Tesla to maximize profits, which they can do by a combination of maximizing sales, by reducing their prices while maintaining their margins.

I've seen this before, why do you foresee a reduction in MS and MX?
We could easily afford an M3, but if this price increase continues, say to $400/share, I wouldn't mind saddling my much younger wife with payments on an S or X, since she could always sell some shares which we would not have to do unless I pass sooner. Currently I keep telling her on my deathbed my last words will be, "don't sell TSLA." Buying an S this year would guarantee earlier delivery of a better car with the tax rebate also guaranteed. (We're in that first day's California registration order timeframe so getting the tax credit might also work for the M3.)
Because they will be charging much less for the identical upgrades on the M3. Namely battery pack and AP. The AP upgrades will cost them less due to the economics of amortizing the costs of software over a much larger number of sales, which will reduce their hardware prices as well. 2170's produced at scale will also reduce their costs, plus (score one for Rob) lead to 7.5% larger pack capacity. I'm not sure when they will make the cell switch, but I recently became suspicious of the fact that they have been very vague when responding to questions about the timing. How would you feel about continuing to pay more for AP on a MS-MX vs an M3? In any case Rob thinks that they will deal with this issue solely by upgrades. It's similar to what I believe, except that I think that they are also planning a $5-$8k reduction in the price of popular options which would have a huge positive impact on the sales of the MS-MX. In any case we'll know within 3-5 months. If they maintain constant margins the question isn't if they reduce prices but when, because in addition to eventual pack price reductions they will have cost reductions from transitioning to alien dreadnaught production for the MS-MX.

I'd really appreciate an answer to my original question!

You realized that Tesla recently cancelled all contracts (as far as possible) with other companies and wants Grohmann to work 100% for Tesla and that this is a main reason for the change of mentality among the employees?
Respectful question.

Why do you believe that that reason will have any impact on the eventual outcome?

Reactions: T3SLA3 and Lessmog
Respectful question.

Why do you believe that that reason will have any impact on the eventual outcome?
First of all I think the change in operations was more a catalyst for employees to think even more about their future. Now it wasn't just a name change, but an actually change in which direction the company is heading and what they will be working on.

I think the main question in the room is now simply how committed will Tesla be to Grohmann in the future. Before it was said they would still supply other companies and that would result in R&D and so on, now one has to wonder (at least I would) does Tesla really want to set up their big vision of a automated factory so far away from their headquarters in the US? Are they going to get investments or will the R&D be done in California? Does Tesla even have enough demand themselves in the long run or is this now just a short peak?

One of the Union negotiators also said something like what if the gamble on electric cars goes wrong, which is a bit silly at this point, but some of the workers might see it more of a what if Tesla doesn't make it and then we no longer have the contracts with other companies to fall back on.

First of all I think the change in operations was more a catalyst for employees to think even more about their future. Now it wasn't just a name change, but an actually change in which direction the company is heading and what they will be working on.

I think the main question in the room is now simply how committed will Tesla be to Grohmann in the future. Before it was said they would still supply other companies and that would result in R&D and so on, now one has to wonder (at least I would) does Tesla really want to set up their big vision of a automated factory so far away from their headquarters in the US? Are they going to get investments or will the R&D be done in California? Does Tesla even have enough demand themselves in the long run or is this now just a short peak?

One of the Union negotiators also said something like what if the gamble on electric cars goes wrong, which is a bit silly at this point, but some of the workers might see it more of a what if Tesla doesn't make it and then we no longer have the contracts with other companies to fall back on.

Audi's unions demand electric model for main German plant

They are fulfilling current contracts and not taking on any new clients. But still threatening a work stoppage, which I would assume would be soon and not after they fulfill all outstanding contracts, though I could be wrong. Either way, it's pure dumbassery driven my Union thugs or EU government, really no difference as dumb is dumb and all under the guise of helping the employees.

When Senators McCarthy and Nixon along with other China baiters were setting fire to the State Department, I was privileged to go to the United Nations with other high schoolers from the greater New York area. We had presentations from the stage about their countries by several foreign students our age. The statement by a young woman from Thailand sticks in my mind: "We are taught to think about everything we say and not to say everything we think."

Also interesting, but really a no brainer, the PBS Newshour on the fifteenth interviewed an analyst in South Korea who when asked about the mood of people on the street said, “they are pretty calm about it, its nothing new. However, the general public would like the US to consult with their government more often, especially when deciding on issues like sending the naval flotilla.” [My words, but the sense of what she said.]

Some of you may agree that Asia is probably the focus of importance in this century both economically and politically just as the United States and Europe was in the last, for better or worse. Though I am loath to generalize about civilizations it is possible that in many Asian countries politeness is considered a manly virtue, as it was taught to me by classic mid-western parents who would not have derided it as politically correct. Is civility politically suspect?

We need some grown-ups in Washington.

We've known that all weekend. Old news.

Honestly, I think the Grohmann stuff is all inconsequential. It will blow over with little actual impact.

It sounds like its only 680 workers and they are asking for 400 more euros a month while Tesla is offering 150 more euros. So the disagreement is over 680 x (400-150) x 12 = 2,040,000 euros per year.

That's a rounding error compared to what's at stake and my guess is this will be a non-issue as well.

Last edited:
Re Grohmann:

The money here is really small. 400 euros for 680 employees, over a year is less than 3.5 million euros. Negotiations will go on without a strike and Tesla might eventually give then most of what they want. May be a little bit in stock.

This should blow over quick, but the shorts will leverage this to the hilt to make a lot of noise. Any dips on this FUD would be opportunity to get in.

Edit: SD beat me!

It sounds like its only 680 workers and they are asking for 400 more euros a month while Tesla is offering 150 more euros. So the disagreement is over 680 x (400-150) x 12 = 2,040,000 euros per year.

That's a rounding error compared to what's at stake and my guess is this will be a non-issue as well.
I assume US Tesla employees will be watching. At least here, employees seem to appreciate the stock options.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
If Grohmann people don't trust in a long term future with Tesla, maybe it would be better for Tesla just pay them a few extra million euros for a few years, spend the time to transfer the work to the US and close shop over there, instead of offering stock options to them and dilute PPS
I assume US Tesla employees will be watching. At least here, employees seem to appreciate the stock options.
and then what? they will move to EU and look for jobs there? I know German coworkers get 5 weeks of vacation instead of 3 here, but I'm not leaving my job for that. Sure they can look at UAW, but in the end the math is the same, if they can get a better deal being with UAW, they would've done it already, what people gets paid in the EU will have little to do with this.

Reactions: DurandalAI

Agreed that the grohman situation will be scrutinized. If those folks get the increased wages they asked for, then that just might embolden the UAW more. The UAW might even highlight that as their rallying cry, "unionize and get higher pay!".

This is all short term optics and will only impact this week. Once the grohman situation is resolved, it won't matter, but until then, the shorts will be milking this.

Full disclosure, my 265 call options got called out 2 weeks ago. Just looking for opportunity to deploy some dry powder.

I strongly suspect that if Model 3 roll-out is reasonably well this year we will see GF 3 & 4 break ground next year with partial production started in 24 months. By the end of 2020 Tesla could have 3 battery / car plants and a 4th solar plant. Elon takes big strides and has said that the planet needs something like 100 GF. I suspect he wasn't just pulling a number out of thin air.

If the planet needs 100, well, you better not build them one at a time.

Low end model 3 us actually very competitive with Camry level cars when you consider life time TCO. This matters to the tires of people who purchase Camry's. If your extrapolate the total cost for a model 3 over 10 years vs the Camry, the 3 is very close even without tax incentives. It will require a higher residual value but it is also competitive on shorter terms.

With FSD, I would imagine model 3 will have a very high residual value.

My thought was that Tesla could offer 10 year zero interest on model 3 and make the payment lower than the Camry. When you add in gas vs electric and cheaper insurance and maintenance from a car that will keep you out of trouble with FSD level tech even if you don't buy it. Factoring a higher residual is not that steep considering the initial cost will be higher. All of this makes the 3 very competitive with one of the most popular cars in the world. With our without tax credits and even with our the 10 year zero interest loans, dependant on residuals in line with model S.
Offering long term zero interest terms is a lot like Solar City's PPAs, which they are busy getting out of... If they did do this they would want a separate financing company. Which is possible, GM does it.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.