Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the biggest problem with this is the loss of confidence in Elon's words from now on. TSLA affirmed the H2 50k guidance on Oct. 26th Q3 call. So is it just coincidental that production probs occurred only after that call?

Basically, even if TSLA says they will deliver 120k -130k S&X in 2017, I'm going to stick with 110k (assuming about a 50% increase from actual numbers, just like 2015 to 2016).

The biggest impact I fear is market not trusting the M3 timeline as well now, even if TSLA management continues to affirm till Q2 2017. That takes away one major catalyst for the SP.

Edit: And another bigger problem with this is Mark Spiegel now will rant with even more panache for one more quarter. I bet that guy murders Elon every night in his dreams

sure, very likely we have to read financial press with this sort of depiction of Tesla/Musk... but does that really change any of our valuation of Tesla? I guess I'm being unfair a bit here... as of a few days ago, this was the "short-term" thread, and, yes, more "we'll believe it when we see it" reinforcement doesn't help if one is looking for valuation appreciation sooner than later.

still, would anyone really be disappointed with 110K S/X sales next year, whatever Musk's initial guidance?

anyone really disappointed with Model 3 first deliveries possibly delayed a few months on the way to about 500,000 total annual Tesla deliveries circa 2019? up until 6 months ago or so, and Musk's pushing that 500K date up, I for one couldn't imagine how they'd get to 500,000 by 2020.

I'll make a friendly wager with anyone here that at least through 2020, "never getting their act together Tesla" delivers more long range EVs each year than all the other "big boys" combined.

unlike any other company or CEO I've ever seen, Tesla and Musk deliver.

One significant metric that I did not see anybody mention is weekly production rate during last four weeks of the quarter. Even using all the conservative assumptions (assuming average production rat over 11 weeks as a base and assuming no holiday breaks in last 4 weeks of December) the exit production rate averaged over 4 last weeks was a minimum of 2950 cars/week.

Base average production rate assuming total of 11 working weeks: 24,882 / 11 = 2262 cars/week

Production deficit during end of October and beginning of December = vehicles missed being counted = 2750 cars. As a side metric, assuming that production slowdown lasted two weeks starting Nov. 20, average production during this period was 2262 - 2750 / 2 = 887 cars/week

Conservatively assuming recuperation time of four last weeks of the year and ignoring holidays, average production rate during this period was 2262 + 2750 / 4 = 2949.5 cars/week. It would be great to know if this rate was achieved through adding a lot of OT hours, or at least partially due to increased throughput capacity of the final assembly line.

Above numbers are clearly based on some assumptions, which I believe are conservative, but IMO give a good sense of Fremont's current maximum production throughput capabilities.

Last edited:
BTW, at the end of Q4, in addition to 6,450 cars in transit to customers, additional 1,297 cars were built (but not sold yet) for inventory. This means that there will be at least 6,450 + 1297 = 7,747 cars that were produced in Q4 but will be sold in Q1 2017.

Cars built for inventory but not sold = Produced - Delivered + Q3 Transit - Q4 Transit = 24,882 - 22,200 + 5065 -6450 = 1297.

sure, very likely we have to read financial press with this sort of depiction of Tesla/Musk... but does that really change any of our valuation of Tesla? I guess I'm being unfair a bit here... as of a few days ago, this was the "short-term" thread, and, yes, more "we'll believe it when we see it" reinforcement doesn't help if one is looking for valuation appreciation sooner than later.

Timing matters. If Tesla hit majority of self-imposed goals in the last 18 months, I'd be having 2 new Tesla's parked in front of the house, instead of new Mazda 5 and desperately trying to repair 13 year old Porsche.

Lots of people here make a mistake and assume that everyone is a long term investor that is unaffected with temporary fluctuations of the SP. Not everyone's situation is the same.

Also, there was another comment that we should be used to Tesla missing out estimates. I disagree. While I understand it now, and didn't get burned last couple of times, it takes time to truly internalize Tesla's behavior.

There are investors new to Tesla every day, and they wouldn't know what they're getting into. Out of respectable companies, Tesla is unique in its disdain to WS norms, and that has real life consequences for some investors out there. I agree that even after big drops, investors with the nerve to hold, and in stock only, will likely get whole and make money. This is just a subset of investors though. Most everyone is trained that where there is a smoke, there is a fire, and missing out on estimates looks a lot like a smoke. So, I can understand someone panic out and exit, and all sorts of other wrong behaviors...

I think the Q4 numbers are fine. Rolling out AP 2 gets Tesla a huge lead in automated driving. They took a big chance dropping the partnership with Mobileye, but it is paying off already. No one else would have had the courage to make this decision and go it alone. They sacrificed about 1 week of deliveries in Q4 to get a 2 year lead in AP, and have a chance to extend that lead as they add the miles to the database. They probably gave up 2% in gross margins this quarter, but will almost certainly have record gross margins in Q1 and I think will get close to or pass 30,000 deliveries. Recognizing AP revenue in Q1 will boost profit by over 125 million and 7000 extra cars is over 500 million more. Add in some TE revenue and they start closing in on 3 billion in a quarter, or about 70% of 2015 revenue. Any drop tomorrow is, in my opinion, an opportunity.

I agree, biting the bullet on AP2 was almost certainly worth missing delivery guidance by a week or so worth of deliveries. I wonder though if they couldn't have revised guidance again due to the shut down for hardware upgrade.

Any chance for positive FCF?

Yep, was posted about 12 hours and 13 pages back - here.

As far as average production on this thread goes, this is equivalent to an average of little over 1 page/hour. :)
Sorry I missed that.
Regarding the GF, Dana Hull from Bloomberg covering Tesla and SpaceX said that no media is allowed to the event, just analysts and investors.
Could someone mail the guy from Investor Relations and ask what is going on?

There are investors new to Tesla every day, and they wouldn't know what they're getting into. Out of respectable companies, Tesla is unique in its disdain to WS norms, and that has real life consequences for some investors out there. I agree that even after big drops, investors with the nerve to hold, and in stock only, will likely get whole and make money. This is just a subset of investors though. Most everyone is trained that where there is a smoke, there is a fire, and missing out on estimates looks a lot like a smoke. So, I can understand someone panic out and exit, and all sorts of other wrong behaviors...

That's not our problem or your problem. It's 'their' problem. If someone invests without due diligence, that's on them. Making assumptions that one company is like another, frankly deserves one getting their hands slapped. Reading headlines and investing according to those, also deserves one getting their hands slapped. I can sympathize and empathize, but we all have to be responsible for our own actions.

Many here took a lot of time researching before investing in Tesla a number of years ago. We knew it was a long shot and that we might never see our money again. Mostly I invested in the man, others invested in the idea of EVs. Still some had other reasons for investing.

The risk is so much less today than it was at IPO. There's a ton more information available than 'back in the day'. Someone new to Tesla today has a leg up on those of us who took the initial dive off the 10 meter platform into a glass of water.

Any chance for positive FCF?

Let me requote a Tesla quote and put it right here for you:

Tesla vehicle deliveries represent only one measure of the company's financial performance and should not be relied on as an indicator of quarterly financial results, which depend on a variety of factors, including the cost of sales, foreign exchange movements and mix of directly leased vehicles.

Road to 5 Million! A playful 10 year forecast. Any guess what the market cap will be in 2027? Here is mine.

5M Cars @ Avg Sale Price 50k = (250B + 100B TE + 10B Mobility) = 360B * 10% Margin = 36B Profit * 15 PE = 540B Market Cap

Roadto5M.jpg

Well... the whole problem with making statement on Oct 26 about 50.000 deliveries and (slightly) missing it, is that we, on TMC, can see beyond it and see the 6500 in transit & sky high demand.

Belgian media including state-owned,however, is absolutely loving it with headliners such as "Tesla hype reaches standstill".

Status
Not open for further replies.