Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a long term investor, many of you may have missed all the other stock poss events. Where Tesla had not already fixed an issue, Tesla responded promptly with high professional standards. No other company can remotely compare. Other car companies quickly blame the driver, the tires or god for their design flaws ~ the American way. Not Tesla. Tesla proactively rectifies the issue at or above industry standards; usually above the standard!

Reactions: winfield100
So... I think there is a lull in Supercharger build out. Which, to me, means this is a high capex quarter, as expected for Model 3 production spending. To me, Tesla cuts Supercharger capex when they have high capex elsewhere. Maybe. Well, it's something I look out for which may mean something, may not.

Agreed about cash sparing moves. Other evidence (at least in my area of the country). Opening new Service Centers that have been 'in the works' for over a year are still delayed: Cherry Hill, NJ; Baltimore, MD and Pittsburgh, PA. to name a few.

Reactions: neroden
Thoughts on Gorsuch? Seems to favor States' rights from what I can tell so far.
I think Gorsuch will have no effect on TSLA. Everyone says he's very similar to Scalia philosophically, but less... well... corrupt, I guess? Scalia had a very nasty tendency to decide identical cases differently depending on who the plaintiffs were and his preconceived biases about them, which made him an inherently bad judge who brought discredit on the entire judicial system. Gorsuch seems to have a record of being more *impartial*, so that's good.

Gorsuch's mother was a monster who tried to destroy the EPA and ended up resigning after being caught misusing Superfund money, though.

Did nobody else really see Spiegals article popping up on google finance??
This has gotta be worth at least another $60 or so.
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): This Stock Is Headed To Zero - Stanphyl Capital
Sorry to even link that...it's more worthless dribble.
But I really regret selling some calls earlier today, i'll buy most back in the am. Very bullish!

Wow I stopped at page 1. It literally goes on for like 5+ pages. Just a bunch of non sense similar to his amateur PowerPoint presentation he gave

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and madodel
A.J. job isn't to determine what is "wise", "just" or "right" & then not defend or enforce a law.
The Attorney General has a sworn duty to uphold the law, and a specific duty to determine on her own initiative whether a supposed executive order is in fact legal.

If you look at the original constitutional structure, the heads of the executive departments have individual and personal responsibility for their decisions. The *convention* that they serve at the pleasure of the President is actually only a convention, not the constitution.

As some wag pointed out, it's the "Department of Justice", not the "Department of Following Orders"

I just read the details.
Vehicle details

The Structure on the small overlap test was rated Good, their best rating. Max intrusion at any point was only 4 cm. IIHS had this to say about the small overlap results: "The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well."

Are we reading different things?

Like I said, the structure was fine and had nothing to do with it only getting Acceptable in that test. It was strictly due to seatbelt/airbag interaction. Quick easy fix and possibly retrofit-able.

Structure is fine as proved by real world results. With that said, it's rather surprising that IIHS has rated LED headlight Poor. Same article also mentions that P100D was rated Acceptable for roof integrity due to increased weight of the battery (I'm not clear if they tested the roof - sounds like they just plugged new weight numbers into their formula).
Two electric cars miss IIHS awards

Last edited:
My radar is going off with the recent 8-K. This seems like a deliberate attempt to drive home the point that Tesla is deserving of a higher market cap because it does more than just cars. It also seems like a direct response to the multiple analyst reports giving SCTY and TE zeroes - these aren't diversions for the company, they are (or will be) equal players.

I expect this to be a theme in the upcoming ER as guidance is set. I'm seeing Andrea James' influence all over this one.

Even Republicans in Congress believe the implementation was clearly a mess. That explains why the ACLU claims the 14th amendments due process clause was violated. I think she has clear grounds for denying constitutionality. Question is whether she should defend it in which case she is also clearly insubordinate. Apparently her angst was whether to resign or fall on her sword by taking a stand. From her perspective as to what is justice in the broader sense, she did the righteous thing. Pence claims he is first and foremost a Christian. Let's see what he does when acting president or president, although there are various interpretations of any faith. As Harold Laski once said to a colleague, "yes we are both marxists, you in your way and I in Marx's."

Utterly off-topic but need to name drop here. Harold Laski is my great-great-uncle! A very interesting man, even if he is responsible for this train-wreck of a sentence, as picked up by Orwell in his essay 'Politics And the English Language':
I am not, indeed, sure whether it is not true to say that the Milton who once seemed not unlike a seventeenth-century Shelley had not become, out of an experience ever more bitter in each year, more alien [sic] to the founder of that Jesuit sect which nothing could induce him to tolerate.

My radar is going off with the recent 8-K. This seems like a deliberate attempt to drive home the point that Tesla is deserving of a higher market cap because it does more than just cars. It also seems like a direct response to the multiple analyst reports giving SCTY and TE zeroes - these aren't diversions for the company, they are (or will be) equal players.

I expect this to be a theme in the upcoming ER as guidance is set. I'm seeing Andrea James' influence all over this one.

I think more likely that this was just their first chance since the merger. It has only been a month. Think youre being overly optimistic. TE is going to be a big part of Tesla, but I dont think it will today. SCTY was worth 1/10th what tesla was when it took over. If it contributes much this Q Ill be quite surprised. I mean, it may push Tesla earning positive but much more than that I think is a long long shot.

Reactions: neroden
I think more likely that this was just their first chance since the merger. It has only been a month. Think youre being overly optimistic. TE is going to be a big part of Tesla, but I dont think it will today. SCTY was worth 1/10th what tesla was when it took over. If it contributes much this Q Ill be quite surprised. I mean, it may push Tesla earning positive but much more than that I think is a long long shot.
I'm not sure how you concluded that I thought TE would be a big earnings component for the Q4 report from my post.

My point is that I think the theme of the upcoming ER is "we are more than just a car company" and this name change is symbolic. To me, this means guidance will include TE and SCTY as material elements for 2017 and therefore provide a rationale as to why Tesla is deserving of a market cap higher than traditional automakers.

Perhaps the crash test dummy was not perfectly restrained because the anchor point for the top of the belt is not adjustable on the S like is is on the X. My wife has complained about this since our S was new 4 years ago. It seems like it would be easy to use the adjustable mechanism from the X bs just put it in all the Ss. In any case, my wife and I will not upgrade to a new S unless the anchorage is adjustable.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7
Status
Not open for further replies.