Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm collecting some data,
tsla171025.png

An interesting commentary from Margo Oge, former director of the EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality.

Double game played by OEMs, exposed:

On one hand, not a week goes by without a different carmaker announcing another investment in the trifecta of environmentally friendly mobility options: electric, autonomous, and shared vehicles. Some, like Volvo and Jaguar, have declared that their entire fleet will be “electrified” in the near future. Others, including Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, and GM, seem to be in an innovation drag race.

But these same companies are simultaneously fighting against environmental protections that encourage these goals. This battle has now extended to include the historic 2025 Light Duty Vehicle Standards for cars and SUVs, which will double the gas mileage to 54.5 miles per gallon by then. The plan I helped develop when I was at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) came into effect in 2012 and balanced critical environmental needs with the industry’s concerns. But this huge accomplishment is now at risk of crumbling. At the instigation of the auto industry, President Donald Trump’s EPA is now evaluating whether to rescind or delay the standards.

Nah, I'll take the opinion of MIT and Berkeley physics professors over that of some anonymous poster on internet who doesn't even know which sector the transportation industry belongs. ;)
Wolverton: Elon Musk’s Hyperloop hype ignores practical problems – The Mercury News

But that's just the Elon way. A $45k Model S and a $35k M3 for all.;)

You really should be posting this drivel on the Virgin forum because Branson just invested $1B in hyperloop one.. which is now called Virgin hyperloop one.

Reactions: dc_h
Interesting Swiss Interview with VW CEO Mueller. I volunteer to translate a few passages for you guys :

Q: Mr. Mueller, how many Diesel are you actually still selling?

A: Less than planned - because of the entire situation (...) That is a problem and we need to change that.

Q: How that?

A: Its not comprehensible that there is a sustainable lack of trust in the Diesel. Our actual Diesel Motors are clean, efficient and fulfill all legal requirements. They are ahead of competition. (...) to be able to comply with a level of 95 Gramm carbon dioxid per kilometer in 2020 we need a certain level of Diesel.

(...)

Q: In the VW plant Salzgitter VW will start a small batterie cell production. Intends VW to be technology seen a part of it or produce on the long run batterie cells on its own?

A: First of all we need to understand the entire batterie subject from A to Z. (...) to prepare the right decisions.

Q: and to prove afterwards?

A: To be honest, the demand will be huge. Alone in 2025 we need a capacity of 150 GWH per anno which we cannot deliver alone. (...)

Q: The customers don't want the E - Technology yet but buy ICE.

A: The customers are not convinced that electrification is the right technology. Thats also because of us and we need to do more convincing work and bring the announced cars on the road. But is also because the infrastructure is not yet ready to drive without reservation electric. (...) 80 Thousand cars from Tesla are not a break through.

Q: To make the electro wave roll after 2020 there is a lot that needs to happen. Charter needs to be installed, batteries with much more performance and less weight and prices profoundly shrinking. Isn't that topic within 3 years?

A: With our cars of the electro platform MEB that all applies. The VW I.D. for example will have a range of 500 - 600 km, costs not more than a comparable Diesel and if there enough charging stations is not up to us producers. Thats where cities , countries utilities are requested. (...)

Q: Tesla is for many currently the most cool automaker. Is Tesla for you more than one automaker of many?

Noteworthy with Tesla is the business model. On the one side is Tesla losing every quarter up to 3 digit millions but somehow it nevertheless appears to be in the position to get somewhere again and again money to continue. What impress me more is the way how Tesla is positioning the subject driving. They are courageous and we have been missing to be courageous. They are also fast. But they are finally just one of many and there are other interesting competitors. An the German Auto Industry ... has been often declared dead but still the German producers have been at the end of the day leading in every phase of the industry. It will stay like that.

(...)

.... famous last words ... ?

VW-Chef Müller: «Wir müssen daraus lernen!»

Einhorn, another master of the universe that is out of his mind.
He further doubles down on Amazon not gaining the profits
That it displaces.

You just don’t short disruptive companies in their hyper growth phase .
Interesting Swiss Interview with VW CEO Mueller. I volunteer to translate a few passages for you guys :

Q: Mr. Mueller, how many Diesel are you actually still selling?

A: Less than planned - because of the entire situation (...) That is a problem and we need to change that.

Q: How that?

A: Its not comprehensible that there is a sustainable lack of trust in the Diesel. Our actual Diesel Motors are clean, efficient and fulfill all legal requirements. They are ahead of competition. (...) to be able to comply with a level of 95 Gramm carbon dioxid per kilometer in 2020 we need a certain level of Diesel.

(...)

Q: In the VW plant Salzgitter VW will start a small batterie cell production. Intends VW to be technology seen a part of it or produce on the long run batterie cells on its own?

A: First of all we need to understand the entire batterie subject from A to Z. (...) to prepare the right decisions.

Q: and to prove afterwards?

A: To be honest, the demand will be huge. Alone in 2025 we need a capacity of 150 GWH per anno which we cannot deliver alone. (...)

Q: The customers don't want the E - Technology yet but buy ICE.

A: The customers are not convinced that electrification is the right technology. Thats also because of us and we need to do more convincing work and bring the announced cars on the road. But is also because the infrastructure is not yet ready to drive without reservation electric. (...) 80 Thousand cars from Tesla are not a break through.

Q: To make the electro wave roll after 2020 there is a lot that needs to happen. Charter needs to be installed, batteries with much more performance and less weight and prices profoundly shrinking. Isn't that topic within 3 years?

A: With our cars of the electro platform MEB that all applies. The VW I.D. for example will have a range of 500 - 600 km, costs not more than a comparable Diesel and if there enough charging stations is not up to us producers. Thats where cities , countries utilities are requested. (...)

Q: Tesla is for many currently the most cool automaker. Is Tesla for you more than one automaker of many?

Noteworthy with Tesla is the business model. On the one side is Tesla losing every quarter up to 3 digit millions but somehow it nevertheless appears to be in the position to get somewhere again and again money to continue. What impress me more is the way how Tesla is positioning the subject driving. They are courageous and we have been missing to be courageous. They are also fast. But they are finally just one of many and there are other interesting competitors. An the German Auto Industry ... has been often declared dead but still the German producers have been at the end of the day leading in every phase of the industry. It will stay like that.

(...)

.... famous last words ... ?

VW-Chef Müller: «Wir müssen daraus lernen!»
Reich for 1000 years was the other delusional one

Man, there's a ton of negative media out there about Tesla right now - AutoPilot 2 isn't what Musk hyped it up to be, Model 3 production ramp-up issues, Model X on-going quality issues - just to name a few.

This may be the most worried I have ever been about Tesla. I believe in Elon and I sure hope he has it all under control.

Are companies vulnerable heading into earnings? Many times we have EM/TSLA refuting some of the FUD, but it always seems going into earnings they go into media silence ... anything mandated/rules enforced by SEC?

Man, there's a ton of negative media out there about Tesla right now - AutoPilot 2 isn't what Musk hyped it up to be, Model 3 production ramp-up issues, Model X on-going quality issues - just to name a few.

This may be the most worried I have ever been about Tesla. I believe in Elon and I sure hope he has it all under control.
Smells like desperation by the FUDmeisters. Good time to be confident. Its coming together nicely. 3 will ramp, S/X executing well, TE coming on well, solar roof about to expand. What's not to like?

Well, we are certainly getting into the lower part of the $280-$380 range that many here, including me, thought we would be stuck in until model 3 ramp hits 5k and/or we see a profit (mid-late 2018).

Personally, I will be adding at $310, which I think is a possibility, although my J19 Leaps will be feeling 30% 'red' if we get there soon.

I am looking forward to the J20 LEAP release.

For those that think TSLA hits '$0' sometime or $2K in early/mid 2019....I put both of those possibilities at .05%.

The current SP is not just about FUD. EM's predictions of where the current ramp rate should be and AP advancements are just as much to blame.

This is still a 'momo' stock. Right now the 'mojo' is not good.

I don't pretend to be an investing expert, so definitely not advice, but I generally use a growth in the number of FUD articles as an indication that it's time to load up more. I'm talking myself into adding another 750 shares now.

Status
Not open for further replies.