Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My "pet peeve": customer deposits.

There was a bit of a drop from Q4 to Q1 as the last of the Model X sigs and much of the backlog went away. So we went from $664M to $616M. Happy to see this was at $603M at the end of Q2, so indeed, the slide has stopped.

With over 500k Model 3 reservations at $1k each, this would be over $500M. This leaves about $100M for Model S/X, which at $2.5k per car comes down to a backlog of 40k cars. That's roughly 1.5 quarter of production. If we have more M3 or if any of the energy business deposits are counted here, it could be less. Still, it is clear demand has not plummeted like shorts claim.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Good point. I think the spirit of my math is still valid for adding U.S. reservations to the U.S. vehicle deliveries numbers.

And as mentioned above. The reservation rate will probably quiet down a bit from around september 2017. But around Q1 18 your neighbour will get his Model 3 and suddenly you decide to order one today unless you risk your other neighboor getting his M3 before you :) So it wouldn't surprise me if we exit 2018 with still almost 300k orders unfulfilled.

Cobos

Reactions: neroden
With over 500k Model 3 reservations at $1k each, this would be over $500M. This leaves about $100M for Model S/X, which at $2.5k per car comes down to a backlog of 40k cars. That's roughly 1.5 quarter of production. If we have more M3 or if any of the energy business deposits are counted here, it could be less. Still, it is clear demand has not plummeted like shorts claim.

The increased number of inventory sales should also have an impact on customer deposits.

Reactions: dennis
So probably those 1,800 people ordering Model 3's every day aren't going to be new car shopping for a Bolt, for example. If the yearly selling rate in the U.S. stays at 17,000,000 thats 46,575 cars ordered per day. So the Model 3's order rate of 1,800 works out to 3.8% of all ordered vehicles. Ponder that for a moment...

Not sure how long that goes on for, but as others have pointed out, everyone who gets one of these might sell one or more simply by word of mouth to neighbors, co-workers, relatives, etc. It could be bigger than Amway. ;)

RT

Should also point out that these are net deposits. I suspect that cancellations are peaking right now, and will fall from here.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
Well, I don't know who's saying it, but they have a solid case!

I'm pretty sure Tesla agrees with me and not with you, but I will happily eat my words if the Board does indeed declare a cash dividend this year to rid itself of the unwanted cash. Don't hold your breath. ;)

A dividend by 4Q18 is not out of the question.

Rate this post "funny" at your own risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.