Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.50.3.f3425a1 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the car needs to do is not make wild control corrections....
Don't wildly steer from left to right hoping to find a lane. Last I checked, no roads in the USA zig zag abruptly, except for some speed roads in AZ (alternative to speed bumps).
As @conman pointed out, the problem is not that AP thinks it has lost the lane lines, but that its algorithm has completely misinterpreted what it sees and suddenly believes the lane to be very different from reality. The lane display in the CID suddenly (i.e. changes instantly, not gradually) shows me to be in the middle of a tightly curved lane for about one or two seconds, causing it to immediately steer to follow the lane it has invented; then the display suddenly changes back to a straight lane (although AP has disengaged by then because I wouldn't let it follow through with its wild excursion). Sometimes, it will dart one direction (thought not enough to disengage), then immediately dart in the opposite direction just after cresting before going back to straight.

I don't yet have a dashcam, but would like to take a video with my phone. I'll have to see what I can work out in a safe manner.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Well I finally drove on this one since I only got it yesterday. I only have 42 to compare to and I think this is a step forwards and a step backwards at the same time. TACC tracking does indeed appear to be smoother than ever which is nice in stop go traffic. However autosteer seems to veer off on curves more now than it used to. On gentle curves it hugs the inside of the curve while on sharper curves the outside or even the line. Lane change is definitely more aggressive but then that suits my driving style and it's very confident in its moves which is a plus. There's still no sign of it picking up stopped vehicles reliably when approaching them at high speed. Inclines and declines again seem to fool it the same way as always with more phantom braking. Sigh.

Alas it hasn't rained here yet to test the wiping; in fact it's glorious weather which normally I'd be very happy about :p

Well I finally drove on this one since I only got it yesterday. I only have 42 to compare to and I think this is a step forwards and a step backwards at the same time. TACC tracking does indeed appear to be smoother than ever which is nice in stop go traffic. However autosteer seems to veer off on curves more now than it used to. On gentle curves it hugs the inside of the curve while on sharper curves the outside or even the line. Lane change is definitely more aggressive but then that suits my driving style and it's very confident in its moves which is a plus. There's still no sign of it picking up stopped vehicles reliably when approaching them at high speed. Inclines and declines again seem to fool it the same way as always with more phantom braking. Sigh.
My observations are very similar. Compared to 2017.46 there is some progress (lane changing or staying in the lane on mostly straight roads) and some regress (such as veering off, or not negotiating curves as well as it used to).

Reactions: T3SLA90D and conman
I don't yet have a dashcam, but would like to take a video with my phone. I'll have to see what I can work out in a safe manner.
Those aren't close to what I have observed. First, the crest of the kind of rise that I am talking about is sharper than your gradual rises. Second, the darting to the side that I am talking about is much more sudden. I would describe your example as drifting. Nor does your video show what I want to convey, since it doesn't show the CID and the sudden misrepresentation of the lane.

You guys are spot on with your description of the latest build.

It "feels" smoother but on moderate curves gets too close to the outside of the turn for my taste. It's as if Tesla has programmed it to be more "lazy" with the turns to allow for more perceived smoothness, whereas before it would rigidly try to hold centerline and it was perceived as "oscillation."

If it's not hunting for a lane but misinterpreting a lane, there should be some way to ignore "lanes" that deviate more than x percentage from the prior known good lane position, thereby discarding noisy data.

Not sure if there is any better way to ensure error checking for the lane data. I guess that will be possible with another data source aka high-def maps. Another option would be using the rear facing cameras to verify lane parity.

You guys are spot on with your description of the latest build.

It "feels" smoother but on moderate curves gets too close to the outside of the turn for my taste. It's as if Tesla has programmed it to be more "lazy" with the turns to allow for more perceived smoothness, whereas before it would rigidly try to hold centerline and it was perceived as "oscillation."

If it's not hunting for a lane but misinterpreting a lane, there should be some way to ignore "lanes" that deviate more than x percentage from the prior known good lane position, thereby discarding noisy data.

Not sure if there is any better way to ensure error checking for the lane data. I guess that will be possible with another data source aka high-def maps. Another option would be using the rear facing cameras to verify lane parity.

I honestly feel like they've been playing around with all of these approaches. Some past builds don't allow the wheel to turn more than a certain amount, or smooth the lane lines, but those cause other kinds of lane departures during lane shifts or sharper curves.

I do agree though that in the long run, they need to either involve more cameras (whether it's the pillar cams looking at the lane lines or the repeater cams, or the fisheye anticipating sharper curves), or they need to have maps play a bigger role.

Right now it seems like although map tiles exist, it's not significantly influencing Autosteer itself.

• Helpful
Reactions: oktane and TaoJones
Yesterday I was in the carpool lane but was moving in slow traffic. The car in front of me was moving toward the emergency lane to make room for the motorcyclist and my car just started to speed up, first time I've experienced this. I hit the brake a little fearing that it would end up hitting the car, since it was speeding up so quickly. It would be nice if you could set it so that you could choose to hug a lane a little because most people here end up hugging closer to the left in the carpool lane to make space for motorcyclists, something I usually do if I see a motor cyclist coming up.

I'm quite sure that's NOT what it's doing; there is no way there is an algorithm in there that says the car should drive around looking for the lanes. If it darts around or slows down or speeds up it's because it THINKS it knows where the lane is, or that there's a pink elephant that magically appeared on the road in front of you for a millisecond that then disappears.

Pink Elephant mode. I like it. That explains so much, actually. :)

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yesterday I was in the carpool lane but was moving in slow traffic. The car in front of me was moving toward the emergency lane to make room for the motorcyclist and my car just started to speed up, first time I've experienced this. I hit the brake a little fearing that it would end up hitting the car, since it was speeding up so quickly. It would be nice if you could set it so that you could choose to hug a lane a little because most people here end up hugging closer to the left in the carpool lane to make space for motorcyclists, something I usually do if I see a motor cyclist coming up.
At this point, it seems not all situations are suitable for AP. In my recent 1100 mile trip on I5 I used AP for at least 1000 miles. When I travel on any road that AP doesn’t permit auto-lane change, like 101 on the coast & I30 in Oregon, it feels more like a test than a convenience.

Good thought.
Tried pressing the end to get a single wipe. I’ll give it a try moving it to the off position now & report back. Perhaps you can’t engage it while in Auto positions 1 or 2.
Yep.
That was it. Only works if wiper stock is in the off position. Are used to always leave it in off but now I leave it in Auto.
Thanks!