Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S 70 (December Production) vs 2018 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Im still debating between these 2 cars, which model should I go. The range is not a key factor too much as supercharged is everywhere and barely do any road trip.
The 16 model S is production in December 16 so it has AP2.0, Free SuperCharged for Life and Premium Connectivity for Life, with 13k Miles.

vs

The 18 model 3, AP2.0, No Free SuperCharged for life, Premium Connectivity yearly.

It came down to few key factors and i would need your guys help:
1) Does the Model 3 use a new motor that would last a million miles ?
2) Does the Model S 75 in December production (theory it was like in 17 productions?) does it comes with the same new motor or like the old previous engine?
3) battery cells, any difference? Does Model 3 use a new battery cell?

If you have to choose between...both cars will be about the same price..which one would you prefer?
I appreciate your feedback and input.

Thanks

1) Supposedly the design is more robust, but there aren't enough high mileage Model 3s out there yet to know for sure.
2) The Model 3 drive units are unique to the Model 3 for now, though the Tesla Semi prototypes apparently used 4 Model 3 rear drive units.
3) The Model 3 uses a new cell design that's more cost-optimized. Some people theorize that they're capable of faster supercharging rates, but this hasn't been true in real life; though when measuring charge speed in miles-per-hour, the Model 3 beats the Model S on any power source thanks to its higher efficiency.

I'd lean towards the Model 3 for the fresh warranty, nicer interior, and more nimble driving experience.