Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of differences between the model s base on year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
New here and looking at buying my first tesla. Drove a model 3 at the local tesla dealership and was impressed. Now looking at a model s.
Did find the discussions between p85d vs p90 vs 100d, etc. I am looking for a list that explains the changes between the years. For example the 2016
p85d does not have air suspension or mcu 2. Did tried searching to no avail. Thanks for your assistance.

This won’t answer your question but hope this helps - Tesla does not follow vehicle model development by year; instead improvements and upgrades are pushed out as and when necessary. That goes not just for major features, but also for vehicle parts/software. Think CI/CD, but for the entire car instead of software development.
So there’s the possibility that no two cars of the same year, model, and trim will be alike. In fact, it’s likely that an early 2016 will look nothing like a late 2016 (from a features, software, parts, etc. perspective).

Throw in the MY now, that could be built in Fremont or Austin, there are variances even with that.

So if you do lock in on a specific model, year and trim, you’ll need to research what went on during the timeframe and when the car you’re looking at was built.

Last edited:
There are a couple different sites you can find which try to detail the history of major changes. Here's one I found doing about a very quick google search. I've not gone through it in detail to verify all the changes (there are a lot!), but seems like it has quite a bit of detail.

2016 is a tricky year with what are 3 major variants.
Jan 2016 to mid-Apr 2016 is the original black oval nose version with MCU1 and AP1.

Mid-Apr 2016 to mid-Oct 2016 is what some call the first refresh, new front fascia similar to today, some rear diffuser changes, new interior center console, but still MCU1 and AP1 plus some other varied things.

Mid-Oct was then the first AP2, 8-camera "Tesla Vision" type of autopilot system, but still MCU1.

Were various other changes along the way like interior seat revisions, color revisions, etc., but those are the three major variant groups in 2016 calendar year.

This won’t answer your question but hope this helps - Tesla does not follow vehicle model development by year; instead improvements and upgrades are pushed out as and when necessary. That goes not just for major features, but also for vehicle parts/software. Think CI/CD, but for the entire car instead of software development.
So there’s the possibility that no two cars of the same year, model, and trim will be alike. In fact, it’s likely that an early 2016 will look nothing like a late 2016 (from a features, software, parts, etc. perspective).

Throw in the MY now, that could be built in Fremont or Austin, there are variances even with that.

So if you do lock in on a specific model, year and trim, you’ll need to research what went on during the timeframe and when the car you’re looking at was built.
Thank you I need to stop looking at this a standard car manufacturer.

There are a couple different sites you can find which try to detail the history of major changes. Here's one I found doing about a very quick google search. I've not gone through it in detail to verify all the changes (there are a lot!), but seems like it has quite a bit of detail.

2016 is a tricky year with what are 3 major variants.
Jan 2016 to mid-Apr 2016 is the original black oval nose version with MCU1 and AP1.

Mid-Apr 2016 to mid-Oct 2016 is what some call the first refresh, new front fascia similar to today, some rear diffuser changes, new interior center console, but still MCU1 and AP1 plus some other varied things.

Mid-Oct was then the first AP2, 8-camera "Tesla Vision" type of autopilot system, but still MCU1.

Were various other changes along the way like interior seat revisions, color revisions, etc., but those are the three major variant groups in 2016 calendar year.
Thank you very much that link was what I was looking for...very detailed will be my weekend reading. Thanks for checking it out that is what I was looking for.
Now I just need to narrow down the model and hopefully by the end of the week I will be a fellow tesla owner.

Thank you I need to stop looking at this a standard car manufacturer.
Hello,
New here and looking at buying my first tesla. Drove a model 3 at the local tesla dealership and was impressed. Now looking at a model s.
Did find the discussions between p85d vs p90 vs 100d, etc. I am looking for a list that explains the changes between the years. For example the 2016
p85d does not have air suspension or mcu 2. Did tried searching to no avail. Thanks for your assistance.
Buying a used Model S: