Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 90D - $49K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the photos of face-lifted front, repeater camera, IC and centre console, and having both Autosteer and Summon in Beta (photo 32/52) it certainly looks like an AP2 to me:
Used Tesla Model S 90D for Sale: 78 Cars from $41,995 - iSeeCars.com

For that money and an upgrade to HW3 with FSD package it could be a decent enough bargain if otherwise sound and not crashed, etc.

Looks like AP1 to me. The silver things on the side don't have the camera in them and the B-pillar doesn't have a hole for the camera.

Reactions: OPRCE
Looks like AP1 to me. The silver things on the side don't have the camera in them and the B-pillar doesn't have a hole for the camera.

Yes, sorry for false alarm, on closer inspection of photo 5/52 the top of windscreen does seem to show only a mono camera width-wise, so it is AP1. Thanks!

It’s not AP2. That’s just a reflection on the turn signal in one of the photos. One of the other photos show more clearly that there is no camera on the turn signal. Also, AP1 cars have autosteer and summon.

I was fooled by the black patch on the repeater at photo 9/52, but in others it does appear too flat to have the camera all right. Cheers!

Last edited:
Is there enough of a difference between AP1 and AP2 for it to be a deal breaker? I'm genuinely curious
I think most with AP2 would agree it is better but there are many on AP1 who still claim their cars are better.

AP1 won't get any major new functionality but AP2 cars have features such as Navigate on Autopilot and will continue to get major new features. AP2+ cars are also upgradeable to AP3 if Full Self Driving (FSD) is purchased.

I think most with AP2 would agree it is better but there are many on AP1 who still claim their cars are better.

AP1 won't get any major new functionality but AP2 cars have features such as Navigate on Autopilot and will continue to get major new features. AP2+ cars are also upgradeable to AP3 if Full Self Driving (FSD) is purchased.

AP1 won't even get minor new functionality. Only bug fixes.

Is there enough of a difference between AP1 and AP2 for it to be a deal breaker? I'm genuinely curious
If you plan to pay to get FSD in the future, AP2 is far superior to AP1 due to the upgrade path. If FSD is not your thing, AP2 may be slightly better than AP1. I personally think FSD is a few years away, and it's the feature more or less for the next car.

Reactions: darxsys
AP1 won't even get minor new functionality. Only bug fixes.

There was a great post around this in some thread that I can’t find now, but overall, as someone very interested in this topic, I’d say I wouldn’t trust these Tesla promises regarding AP2 or FSD. They’ve promised FSD back in 2016, it’s still not even close, and tbh, it won’t be close for years. Sure, some features will work and it will be fun, or nice to have them. But full and very reliable self driving? In the next 2-3 years? I just don’t see it. Let them prove they can do it before you cash out for it.

Hardware is not the problem, it’s the inference and software smartness. I’ve discussed this topic with friends who focus on machine learning and they say no matter how much hardware you put into it, that’s not the problem. It’s the software. We aren’t even close to levels of inference needed for tasks like these. There are plenty of articles out there about humanity reaching limitations of deep learning, look them up. They might give you a perspective on this. And anyone in the tech industry I am sure understands why AP2 sucked badly for years. Because with more hardware, it gets a lot more complicated to actually manage and process it. More data, more processing, more room for errors and issues. This is why it only is catching up now, years later. It isn’t an easy problem and I feel like Tesla shouldn’t even call it autopilot at this point. A friend calls it “radar powered cruise control with lane keeping.” I think that’s pretty accurate.

Honestly, I just got an AP1 car and it’s more than enough for me. If I had seen this one just two weeks ago, I would’ve bought it. As that post I mention said, get in now on as low a price as possible, enjoy the ride for a few years and see where the tech goes. Only then buy something expensive.

EDIT: not to mention Tesla is now talking about hardware 3. Another upgrade? Why would cars that are now listed as FSD need another upgrade if they already have FSD? See where I am going with this? And how long until another upgrade because HW3 doesn’t fully work for FSD either? I’d rather wait 2-3 years and see where this goes.

Last edited:
That's not high mileage. 147,000 is just starting to be considered "high mileage". Battery degradation is always a concern and will shed some light on how the charging was scheduled as related to battery maintenance.

Looks like a very nice car. I would go for it. I paid $53k for S85 with 45k miles back in 2015.

From the photos of face-lifted front, repeater camera, IC and centre console, and having both Autosteer and Summon in Beta (photo 32/52) it certainly looks like an AP2 to me:
Used Tesla Model S 90D for Sale: 78 Cars from $41,995 - iSeeCars.com

For that money and an upgrade to HW3 with FSD package it could be a decent enough bargain if otherwise sound and not crashed, etc.
Definitely not AP2. No pillar camera and no side rear facing camera. Plus VIN is too low.