Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 S Broken Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What can I do with 2014 Model S with broken motor? The original motor was replaced less than 2 yrs ago and we found out it had no warranty since it was replaced under the original car warranty. Tesla estimates it will cost $6000-$8000 plus cost to tow (~$350). Biggest concern is paying that and getting another one that only lasts 2 years like this one did. Any suggestions as to what to do?

I believe the new drive unit or HV battery that you paid after the factory warranty is covered for 4 years 50000 miles, whether it is worth it is hard to say, next will likely be the HV battery, suspensions, AC … easily another 20k++.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe the new drive unit or HV battery that you paid after the factory warranty is covered for 4 years 50000 miles, whether it is worth it is hard to say, next will likely be the HV battery, suspensions, AC … easily another 20k++.
Agree. Drive unit replacement is 4 yrs or 50k miles.

@batgirl - You may want to check out the replacement parts warranty document posted on Tesla's site.

Upvote 0
What can I do with 2014 Model S with broken motor? The original motor was replaced less than 2 yrs ago and we found out it had no warranty since it was replaced under the original car warranty. Tesla estimates it will cost $6000-$8000 plus cost to tow (~$350). Biggest concern is paying that and getting another one that only lasts 2 years like this one did. Any suggestions as to what to do?

I presume you have a large drive unit which has a common coolant leak failure and downstream damages from the leaked coolant.

It appears Tesla's latest revision (Rev U) delete the problematic cooling passage. See posts starting here

If your motor has failed already, then it could be anything from simple to more involved drive unit repairs. Tesla only provide a one side fits all complete replacement. Without DIY/3rd party, lower cost options are unavailable. Most people's only choice is Tesla SC. If so, make sure you ask about Rev U which could last longer eliminating the common leak causing much collateral damage.

Upvote 0
Because we didn't pay for it, it was under warranty, it only had 90 day warranty.
A component replaced under the original manufacturer warranty is covered until the end of the manufacturer warranty. So if the drive motor was replaced when the car was orginally 1 year old, it would have been covered for the remaining 7 years of the original warranty. However, if it was replaced after 7 years an 11.5 months, then it was only covered for the remaining half a month until the 8 year warranty expired.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0