Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch wheels and wheel locks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
Two new items showed up in the Tesla online store last night:

Model 3 20" Sport Wheel and Tire Package

Model 3 Wheel Lock Set

The 20” wheels are a bit too pricey for me and probably cause a huge hit on range as well. But I’m sure there are plenty people here that will consider these.

The wheel locks are interesting. Looks like the will work with the aero wheels and it appears that the lug caps may fit over them as well.

Tesla said:
The Model 3 20” Sport wheel and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tire package provides maximum handling and performance. This package also includes optimized rear upper fore links to ensure proper wheel fitment and ride quality. Note that high-performance wheels and tires may affect your range.

Interesting. Anyone try aftermarket 20" wheels yet? Curious the comparison without the new fore links

Reactions: dgaultiere
There are a few peculiarities with this 20" Sport wheel package.
  1. It's a square set with 235's on 8.5" wide wheels all around. The 20" wheels on the reveal car has 235s in front and 275s in rear on 10" wide wheels. I expect the Performance version to have wider rear wheels.
  2. The image seems to be a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire, not Michelin Pilot Super Sports as per their text.
  3. Why the "optimized rear upper fore links"? The tires are basically the same outer size as the 18" and 19" tires. Same 9.3" tire width. The 20" tires are only 0.1" larger in diameter than 19". Which is nothing. These wheels are undoubtedly heavier so maybe the fore link needed to be reinforced? Seems like a relatively small tire change to mandate a suspense component replacement.

I'd like to know what leads you to believe that Tesla OEM lug caps would fit over the unique, locked lug. I want this to be true, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Just because they are a much lower profile locking nut compared to ones I've had on previous cars. I'm going purely by how the nuts appear in the photo on the Tesla website. From what I can see they look to be of similar size and shape as the regular lug nuts so I'm guessing that the lug caps would fit over them.

There are a few peculiarities with this 20" Sport wheel package.
  1. It's a square set with 235's on 8.5" wide wheels all around. The 20" wheels on the reveal car has 235s in front and 275s in rear on 10" wide wheels. I expect the Performance version to have wider rear wheels.
  2. The image seems to be a Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire, not Michelin Pilot Super Sports as per their text.
  3. Why the "optimized rear upper fore links"? The tires are basically the same outer size as the 18" and 19" tires. Same 9.3" tire width. The 20" tires are only 0.1" larger in diameter than 19". Which is nothing. These wheels are undoubtedly heavier so maybe the fore link needed to be reinforced? Seems like a relatively small tire change to mandate a suspense component replacement.

@Zoomit,

My question exactly. Why the need for fore links?

Ski

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
@Zoomit,

My question exactly. Why the need for fore links?

Ski
So the text says, "to ensure proper wheel fitment and ride quality". I suspect the wheels/tires are much heavier (much higher moment of inertia) so the new links are stiffer and are needed to keep the tires from rubbing the suspension when aggressively cornering.

I'm looking forward to pictures of the current and "optimized" links.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Maybe Tesla is going to discontinue the 19" wheel in favor of this new 20" version? It's only speculation on my part.
Yeah, I have no clue. Wider rear wheels for the performance version would have made sense, or maybe even wider for all 4 in a 19" size, but this is strange. You might be right.

Could be that the 20" worked better (efficiency, handling, etc.) and/or the 4S tire was more available/cheaper than 19" from Michelin. The Pilot 4S is an amazing street tire and maybe the square 235s is all that the performance version needs.

• Helpful
Reactions: namlio
20 inch wheels on a 3?

1. I don't like the look. Too much rim.
2. Rough ride. And for what? Going around a corner 3mph faster? Whoop-de-do.
3. Outrageously overpriced from Tesla, as usual.
You'll be surprised that with the newer tire technology the low profile tires are very comfortable. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my Arachnids are smoother than the 19" Slipstream stock wheels and tires on my S, and they have far less tire sidewall roll i.e. more responsive steering and less "floaty". The Pilot 4S are supposed to be even better.

You'll be surprised that with the newer tire technology the low profile tires are very comfortable. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on my Arachnids are smoother than the 19" Slipstream stock wheels and tires on my S, and they have far less tire sidewall roll i.e. more responsive steering and less "floaty". The Pilot 4S are supposed to be even better.

Yessssssss, keep feeding me great feedback on the 4S. I've already decided on these so the positive feedback is delicious!