Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 big issues with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2 main issues that I see with model 3 are:

1. The long pano glass on model X causes a lot of distortion or ghosting effect, especially at night with others' lights (check out that thread). Tesla seem to be sticking their head in the sand about it. This could become a really huge issue for them considering the quantity of reservations.

2. The only solution to the heat and sun from the roof glass is a plastic filter that looks like a curtain. So long elegance. Not the biggest issue, but is that the state of the art?

Other than that, big fan.

• Informative
Reactions: Scannerman
The Model 3 doesn't have the same kind of windshield as a Model X. It's a pretty standard windshield. So I don't see why it should suffer unusually from ghosting. (All windshields have some amount of ghosting.)

The biggest issue I think it has is the trunk. It would be so much more popular here if it had hatch like the Model S. Still, it should be fairly popular here, but the trunk is the reason why many people will be going for the Bolt/Ampera-e and other cars.

We may have to wait until the next reveal to see what improvements have been made to rear trunk opening. We need to remember this is a sedan, and the cars it's competing with don't have hatchbacks either. I like the security a trunk provides for packages, (when the interior trunk release is disabled).

For the wife and I, the trunk with fold down rear seats should work fine for the occasional weekend road trips, and monthly Costco runs. If someone had to travel with four adults, or a trip to Home Depot, then the luggage space would be an issue. I figure my small frunk will be filled with charging cables and my ChAdeMO adapter.

For those who need a hatch, it maybe an option to lease their Model 3 until the Model Y is available. Me I'm keeping my F-150 for large loads until the Tesla pickup is available:).

Most of the bestselling cars in US have similar trunks. I think it's fair if you're personally disappointed by this, but it's not going to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. There are plenty of people just fine with this type of trunk.

I think you are right. The most popular car is the four door sedan with the standard truck. I prefer the hatch too, if well done like the model S.

In the U.S. people who want a five doors have been buying SUV/CUV.

1. The long pano glass on model X causes a lot of distortion or ghosting effect, especially at night with others' lights (check out that thread). Tesla seem to be sticking their head in the sand about it. This could become a really huge issue for them considering the quantity of reservations.

2. The only solution to the heat and sun from the roof glass is a plastic filter that looks like a curtain. So long elegance. Not the biggest issue, but is that the state of the art?

That sounds more like two concerns with the Glass roof and not 2 big issues with the model 3.
1. We haven't seen the final glass so no one can say whether or not it will be an issue.
2. From the Model S users I don't see many complains from heat or glare from the glass roof. Again we don't know for sure if those will be problematic in the 3.

Already pointed out by others but:
The glass in Model 3 is actually 3 sections. The windshield is a standard one so would not have the same ghosting issues as the X. The middle section can be switched for a metal roof if you don't like glass. The rear is the only special piece of glass and will largely affect rear passengers.

I would expect there are heat blocking films/coatings that would be applied on rear glass to solve the problem (either standard or aftermarket). Heat was an issue for the Model S rear jumper seats and people applied aftermarket films to mitigate the problem (although not completely solved until there was more airflow to the back; not an issue with the standard rear seats). I don't think such films have any noticeable pattern (it might look darker/tinted/different color), so not sure what you mean by "so long elegance". A lot of premium cars have tints applied in the rear half of the car for privacy (and sometimes front too where legal).

Reactions: Waiting4M3
Most of the bestselling cars in US have similar trunks. I think it's fair if you're personally disappointed by this, but it's not going to be a big deal in the grand scheme of things. There are plenty of people just fine with this type of trunk.
Yeah, in the US. Sedans aren't very popular in Europe, and Tesla wants to sell 500k+ annually. They can't sell all of them in the US. There's no doubt in my mind the trunk is the biggest mistake with the Model 3. A Model S type hatch would be acceptable for both the US and Europe. Instead they went for a US-tailored notchback design.

But you're probably right it won't matter in the grand scheme of things. Tesla will likely be limited by supply until 2019, at the earliest. And once the Model Y comes on the market, that should help immensely for those who don't like the trunk of the Model 3.

Reactions: slipnslider
I think many who are complaining about the rear glass roof on the Model 3 have not experienced the difficulty of sitting in a Model S rear seat. The floor of the car is high due to the battery pack. The roofline is low for aerodynamic purposes. Finally, there is a thick metal structure to support the hatch and its hinges. All of that adds up to very poor rear seat headroom for such a large car. Tesla even tried to mitigate the problem by making the rear seat low to the floor. So while I am able to physically fit in the back seat with my head just barely brushing the headliner, my knees are unusually bent because of the low seat.

Now put all of that together in a car 20% smaller. An adult would never be able to fit in the back seat. I think Tesla solved that problem brilliantly by eliminating the hatch and the structure to support it. Sure, there is a compromise by having a trunk, but the reality is that the 3 box format is extremely popular in the US. Since this whole trunk controversy started, I've been paying attention at stop lights, and at almost any light I can look around and see 5+ cars with a trunk. For those that absolutely, positively cannot live with a trunk, wait for Model Y.

The biggest issue I think it has is the trunk. It would be so much more popular here if it had hatch like the Model S. Still, it should be fairly popular here, but the trunk is the reason why many people will be going for the Bolt/Ampera-e and other cars.
Yes, the trunk is one of the factors that has be questioning my M3 reservation and considering a volt or i3. I'm going to start having kids soon and easy stroller storage/unloading is a factor. The M3 trunk looks impossible for that.
Also not crazy about the touch screen. And a used volt or i3 will cost half what a new M3 will, even after tax credits.

Yes, the trunk is one of the factors that has be questioning my M3 reservation and considering a volt or i3. I'm going to start having kids soon and easy stroller storage/unloading is a factor. The M3 trunk looks impossible for that.

I assure you, plenty of parents manage to fit a stroller in a trunk. When my kids were little we put their double stroller in the trunk of a Pontiac Grand Prix.

While the opening seems a little small, there are many cars currently made with similar-size trunk openings. I have a Toyota Echo and the trunk opening is even smaller - the whole car is pretty small. And yet the trunk itself is a good size and we've taken family trips with that car, 2 adults and 2 kids.

That sounds more like two concerns with the Glass roof and not 2 big issues with the model 3.
1. We haven't seen the final glass so no one can say whether or not it will be an issue.
2. From the Model S users I don't see many complains from heat or glare from the glass roof. Again we don't know for sure if those will be problematic in the 3.

I recently took a two day trip in an S with the pano roof in 35 degre plus heat with the harsh Australia Sun beating on us for two days and I can state 100% there was no issue with heat from the roof. Whatever tinting or substance magic they are doing works fine.

I think many who are complaining about the rear glass roof on the Model 3 have not experienced the difficulty of sitting in a Model S rear seat. The floor of the car is high due to the battery pack. The roofline is low for aerodynamic purposes. Finally, there is a thick metal structure to support the hatch and its hinges. All of that adds up to very poor rear seat headroom for such a large car. Tesla even tried to mitigate the problem by making the rear seat low to the floor. So while I am able to physically fit in the back seat with my head just barely brushing the headliner, my knees are unusually bent because of the low seat.

Now put all of that together in a car 20% smaller. An adult would never be able to fit in the back seat. I think Tesla solved that problem brilliantly by eliminating the hatch and the structure to support it. Sure, there is a compromise by having a trunk, but the reality is that the 3 box format is extremely popular in the US. Since this whole trunk controversy started, I've been paying attention at stop lights, and at almost any light I can look around and see 5+ cars with a trunk. For those that absolutely, positively cannot live with a trunk, wait for Model Y.
One of the reasons we did not buy an S. A car that big on the outside shouldn't have had rear headroom issues, but it did.
Robin

FWIW: the "ghosting" has been realized/seen by a very small minority of X owners.

I've had mine for almost a year and no issues....

• Informative
Reactions: Waiting4M3
Yeah, in the US. Sedans aren't very popular in Europe, and Tesla wants to sell 500k+ annually. They can't sell all of them in the US. There's no doubt in my mind the trunk is the biggest mistake with the Model 3. A Model S type hatch would be acceptable for both the US and Europe. Instead they went for a US-tailored notchback design.

But you're probably right it won't matter in the grand scheme of things. Tesla will likely be limited by supply until 2019, at the earliest. And once the Model Y comes on the market, that should help immensely for those who don't like the trunk of the Model 3.

Looks like the US is following Europe's preference for hatchbacks.
:http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/family-sedan-endangered-species#ixzz4bRueVyaq

Looks like the US is following Europe's preference for hatchbacks.
:http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/family-sedan-endangered-species#ixzz4bRueVyaq

Could this be why?

screen-shot-2016-04-20-at-11-23-32-pm-png.173248