Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of issues in my new Model 3 Highland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!
10 days ago I got a new Model 3 RWD Highland (I'm in europe).
I've been loving the car, but recently I started running in some issues and I wanted to check if those are known or I got a lemon.
Let's start:
1) Audio cracking. When there is a repentine audio change there's a crackling noise. Best way to reproduce it is with TRAX, even just a simple line of kicks distorts the sound like crazy.
2) Everytime I get in the car I get an alert that Drowsiness Detection System is not available. It goes away in some seconds, but still bothers me to hell to see it everytime.
In service mode I can see that this error fires up:
IMG_6741.JPG

3) Sentry mode started activating even when I'm home, it didn't do it before.
4) Occasionally the screen in the back doesn't turn off when I close the door. The car locks, but until it sleeps the screen keeps being on. That happens occasionally.
5) Probably the most worriesome, even tho navigation works, it looks like it's not GNSS. GNSS is dead, and as you can see I'm in the open.
Also that ECU unavailable worries me a bit.
IMG_6742.JPG

I tried both letting it sleep, 2 scrolls reset and turning off from menu. I got a service appointment on tuesday but this is really really bothering me - especially because i didn't get to enjoy the car and there's no way I can enjoy it until I know everything works.
How worried should I be? If they keep it in service I'm with no car, and I need a car...

thanks everyone!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and KenC
Service mode is not generally for user facing applications, I guess this is why Tesla previously was not as open about service mode as it avoids handwringing like this over parameters that the end user doesn't understand, but would worry about. For example, the alert you see has a clear condition of the controller responding, which it did (that's why it cleared). The GNSS may be off because you are parked (Teslas do not update location when car is in park mode), or because it is using a different mode, like GPS.

The user facing errors would be the Service > Notifications section in the normal mode, outside of service mode.

Your system mayb be different that in US, however it sounds just like some settings need to be changed.
Imagine that service will be able to reset things to your liking, however just because it does work precisely as you would prefer, that does not mean it is defective. Service should be able to explain the logic behind your concerns.

In the US, we do not yet have deliveries of Highland, so your concerns are not something we have come up against.

Please let us know how things go in service.

Reactions: rpiotro
Service mode is not generally for user facing applications, I guess this is why Tesla previously was not as open about service mode as it avoids handwringing like this over parameters that the end user doesn't understand, but would worry about. For example, the alert you see has a clear condition of the controller responding, which it did (that's why it cleared). The GNSS may be off because you are parked (Teslas do not update location when car is in park mode), or because it is using a different mode, like GPS.

The user facing errors would be the Service > Notifications section in the normal mode, outside of service mode.
GNSS used to work, and now that it doesn't it doesn't recognize my precise location. Sentry mode activating is most likely due to that, because it might not trust the location.
As for the warning, I agree that one shouldn't bang his head over the presence there in service mode, but everytime I enter the car waking it up there is an alert blinking and beeping that says that drowsiness detection is unavailable, and it clears according to the service mode error. If it didn't flash me or tell me that something is wrong everytime I have to drive I would not worry. I have no errors in user notification, but I'll check it again!

my biggest concern is the gnss - or better, the accurate location. I don't usually check my car unless I need to drive again, and finding out that battery got drained more because sentry was active when it shouldn't have wasn't nice.

As for the ECU yes, you and @Unclepaul are both right!
Thanks!

I’ve had some similar issues with crackling noises and it was an MCU issue in the end. It took me months of telling this to Tesla before they finally figured it out and replaced it. No problems like that, since.
That's nice! I've just tried TRAX on a friend's model 3 (from may 2023) and it shows the same behavior btw. It might be the DSP buffer, dunno if we both got a fluke or not ahah

Let me add that I activated Exclude at home the day I got the car and I never got a single issue with that. And I'll give you another hint: I have a tire change scheduled in a couple days.
If I understand this problem, is it possible the car thinks it is not at home? Check the address it shows when you're home.

I had this issue and resolved it by contacting Google.

I'm in the USA and recently bought my second Model 3LR. I, too, was having trouble with the new car knowing it was parked at home when it was at home. The way I fixed this is I told the car to navigate to home. This brought up a screen that asked me to type in the address of "home". I was actually at home at the time, so once I typed in my address the car then started knowing where home was and things like "don't lock doors at home" and "don't run sentry mode at home" started working correctly.

If I understand this problem, is it possible the car thinks it is not at home? Check the address it shows when you're home.

I had this issue and resolved it by contacting Google.

I'm in the USA and recently bought my second Model 3LR. I, too, was having trouble with the new car knowing it was parked at home when it was at home. The way I fixed this is I told the car to navigate to home. This brought up a screen that asked me to type in the address of "home". I was actually at home at the time, so once I typed in my address the car then started knowing where home was and things like "don't lock doors at home" and "don't run sentry mode at home" started working correctly.
Nono the problem was way more stupid. I had set a guest profile to try to link the keycard and that didn't have the home address set 😅
quantumvoid - whats it like driving a car without indicator/lights stalk behind the steering wheel?
It was weird the first 30 minutes give or take. I did my first drive from delivery center to suc (they gave the car with 15% battery...) while it was already dark outside. It was a "get used fast to it" situation since there were bigger stuff to worry about - like getting to the suc with 1% left. After leaving it, it felt already like second nature. For one thing, it makes it look a lot like a videogame.