Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Otrifowd Magshade for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With summer approaching, I was about to buy a pano roof sunshade, the ones with the various plastic clips. Then I stumbled on this model that relies on magnets instead of clips, and the shades themselves are foldable like windshield sun shades. It's reflective on top, and the underside matches the light gray inside well. It installed very easily, fits perfectly, and it's easier to put up/down than the clip models according to several YT reviews I watched. I am very happy with this product. FWIW

1714322386408.png

Thanks for the review. I’ve been considering a variety of options for summer as during todays nice spring day, 75F, my car is parked in partial shade and is still 110 F inside. I do have a windshield shade in place, but otherwise car is stock.

I Love the idea. Magnets tend to make this type of thing much more endurable day-to-day. As someone who has owned the standard clip style that these typically come with I can say that this would make deploying/removing them much much easier. We often don't even use the ones we have (even when car camping in lit areas) just because the clips are such a PITA to deploy.

I'd be willing to pay a premium but similar products w/o magnets cost half as much, give or take. Seems a bit of an aggressive premium to pay for the attachment method. I'm content to wait for competitors to come to market with similar products so the competition drives the entry cost down to a more reasonable level.

Others may be willing to pay the premium to be an early adopter though, I'm sure.

I Love the idea. Magnets tend to make this type of thing much more endurable day-to-day. As someone who has owned the standard clip style that these typically come with I can say that this would make deploying/removing them much much easier. We often don't even use the ones we have (even when car camping in lit areas) just because the clips are such a PITA to deploy.

I'd be willing to pay a premium but similar products w/o magnets cost half as much, give or take. Seems a bit of an aggressive premium to pay for the attachment method. I'm content to wait for competitors to come to market with similar products so the competition drives the entry cost down to a more reasonable level.

Others may be willing to pay the premium to be an early adopter though, I'm sure.
$69.99 seemed comparable to recommended plastic clip sunshades I found - and I got a 10% discount with a YT link for my MagShades. Which plastic clip sunshades are equivalent quality at $35 give or take?

You want me to link to a specific sunshade the compares to this one in quality when I've never used this one? How are you associated with MagShades?
Lighten up Francis. You're the one badmouthing the price of a product you've never used. Most roof sunshades are in the $70 range, like MagShades. Of course I have no association with them as you know.

• Funny
Reactions: mborkow
Lighten up Francis. You're the one badmouthing the price of a product you've never used. Most roof sunshades are in the $70 range, like MagShades. Of course I have no association with them as you know.
You appear to have taken umbrage to my post. It seems as though you may need to lighten up Francis.

Other than the attachment method, these roof sunshades are basically all the same. The difference between a few small magnets can't possibly justify the 2x price tag. It's a simple observation based on experience. I've owned a couple of these now (the clips are typically the most annoying part of using them) and they can be purchased all day for half the price on Amazon. Dozens of options so I'm not really sure why I'd need to post up links to prove what is already a known quantity. I already said it's a good idea and I'm interested... just not at 2x the price tag of similar options w/o magnets.

You appear to have taken umbrage to my post. It seems as though you may need to lighten up Francis.

Other than the attachment method, these roof sunshades are basically all the same. The difference between a few small magnets can't possibly justify the 2x price tag. It's a simple observation based on experience. I've owned a couple of these now (the clips are typically the most annoying part of using them) and they can be purchased all day for half the price on Amazon. Dozens of options so I'm not really sure why I'd need to post up links to prove what is already a known quantity. I already said it's a good idea and I'm interested... just not at 2x the price tag of similar options w/o magnets.
OK, to return to civility - I am not finding the MagShade price to be out of line with others. I have one and the quality is good, and it doesn't have the flaw of sagging that plagues many roof sunshades. Here are literally dozens of options, and very few are anything like 1/2 the price. You seemed put out with me asking for an example of a similar quality roof sunshade. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=model+y+sunshade+roof&crid=2OEN4DRTT341&sprefix=model+y+,aps,71&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8

OK, to return to civility - I am not finding the MagShade price to be out of line with others. I have one and the quality is good, and it doesn't have the flaw of sagging that plagues many roof sunshades. Here are literally dozens of options, and very few are anything like 1/2 the price. You seemed put out with me asking for an example of a similar quality roof sunshade. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=model+y+sunshade+roof&crid=2OEN4DRTT341&sprefix=model+y+,aps,71&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8
"very few" is not none. I don't need 20 options to be 1/2 the price because I'm only buying one. The one I bought was $39.99 retail with a 15% coupon code right on the item's page (no needing to go to YT or anywhere else) making it less than half the price of the one you linked to. Can I buy the same basic thing w/o magnets for about half the price? Yes. Nothing inaccurate detected and yet this turned into some sort of ugly defense of this product against no attack.

All I was doing was making a simple observation that anyone else could have made based on the math. Your response that I was "badmouthing the price" during your aggressive comment (even if taken in jest) that I needed to lighten up (a bit ironic when you consider how your post came across) is a pretty aggressive response considering it wasn't even an incorrect one... by your own admission only a couple of posts later.

Again, it seems like a really good idea that I'd personally be willing to pay as high as a 10-20% premium on the overall product price (which is high when you consider the pennies involved with the manufacturing difference between the 2 solutions) to get a better attachment solution but not 100%.

I'll wait until the "new product premium" wears off of this better mouse trap and it's more in line with what the market currently supports for a Model Y roof sunshade. By then I'll have some more feedback of how much better(?) this system works and how will it holds up from daily use. On paper it seems like it addresses the only beef I had with this solution in my past testing.

Not trying to continue the above conversation. Just in case, ppl who are looking for sunshades like me stumble upon this thread, the one with the regular clips are $19 now. amazonlink. Haven't tried it myself, and product have no reviews, but seems like the same as other regular clips sunshades I saw. (this version actually have magnets to connect between the two shades, saw a few of those from different sellers as 2024 update version) For myself, I want shades that can be easily put up/down since I only need it for certain long drive occasions, so I decided to wait for the one with mag clips price to come down with more sellers selling them. Competition will bring the price down, :)