Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 - Inch "Foamed" Tire Searchers Rejoice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier in the year, one Eagle Touring tire quickly went flat with metal debris that may have been from a reflective raised pavement marker. The thin metal object was about 1.5 inches long. Tesla Service was 2 miles away, so with several fills from the Tesla air compressor, no tow was needed. They took one look and said I needed a new tire. Why argue? I was on the road after about an hour. Great service that day!

I did not use the sealant canister since I was so close to the Service Center. The following text is at Tesla's web site: "The damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience."

Model S/X/3 Tire Repair Kit

It seems that the final takeaway from this thread is that foamed tires don't really do much, and that the stock Goodyears (not foamed and a fraction of the price) are just as good.

And yet, it seems that the Model 3 does come with foamed tires stock...

There's Some Secret Tech Lurking In The Tesla Model 3

"They start with the tires, which, we’re told, the automaker spent three years working with tire manufacturers to develop. Besides being filled with sound-dampening foam, the rubber in the tread is formulated to have low-rolling resistance, yet offer good grip for a heavy vehicle with a lower-than-normal center of gravity".

Should we revisit upgrading to foamed tires for the MS? o_O

The foam in tires doesn't universally make them quieter. It addresses one very specific set of frequencies. It has been described as being similar to when you bounce a basketball - that echo-like hollow sounding effect. I think it is most prominent on certain road surfaces and is more obvious with impacts and or washboard surfaces.

The best write-up I have seen from the various manufacturers that now offer this is on Michelin's website: Michelin Acoustic Technology

A few bullets:

• My non-scientifically calibrated ears tell me there IS a difference. Some of that comes down to the specific tire. As an example, I have Continental DWS 06 tires on my wife's Volvo. I had the prior gen DWS (w/o the 06) on two of our BMWs and thought they were great all season tires. The "06" version went a bit sportier with a firmer sidewall. It also seems to give off a hollow, hooting sound over mild bumps (just as the Michelin article describes). I have a feeling this particular tire would really benefit from Continental's ContiSilent foam treatment.
  • The noise delta between new tires and worn used tires is, IMO, typically much larger than the delta of foam vs. non-foam in the same tire.
  • On the upside, the foam's effectiveness against its target frequencies doesn't alter over the life of the tire as the foam doesn't "wear out".
  • There is a hefty price difference for the foamed versions of these tires. The Goodyears in particular - ouch.
  • The road surfaces (as with ALL tires) that YOU drive on make as big a difference as the tire itself. If you are lucky enough to be driving on smooth blacktop in Arizona with their high rubber content "quiet asphalt" then knobby mudder tires might seem quiet to you. If, conversely, you are here in Texas on grooved concrete freeways then only an "S" Class or LS will likely seem really quiet...and perhaps every little bit helps.
Oh, and all Tesla tires (for all models) have foam in them now I believe regardless of tire brand (Goodyear Soundcomfort, Continental ContiSilent, and Michelin Acoustic Tech).

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
The foam in tires doesn't universally make them quieter. It addresses one very specific set of frequencies. It has been described as being similar to when you bounce a basketball - that echo-like hollow sounding effect. I think it is most prominent on certain road surfaces and is more obvious with impacts and or washboard surfaces.

The best write-up I have seen from the various manufacturers that now offer this is on Michelin's website: Michelin Acoustic Technology

A few bullets:

• My non-scientifically calibrated ears tell me there IS a difference. Some of that comes down to the specific tire. As an example, I have Continental DWS 06 tires on my wife's Volvo. I had the prior gen DWS (w/o the 06) on two of our BMWs and thought they were great all season tires. The "06" version went a bit sportier with a firmer sidewall. It also seems to give off a hollow, hooting sound over mild bumps (just as the Michelin article describes). I have a feeling this particular tire would really benefit from Continental's ContiSilent foam treatment.
  • The noise delta between new tires and worn used tires is, IMO, typically much larger than the delta of foam vs. non-foam in the same tire.
  • On the upside, the foam's effectiveness against its target frequencies doesn't alter over the life of the tire as the foam doesn't "wear out".
  • There is a hefty price difference for the foamed versions of these tires. The Goodyears in particular - ouch.
  • The road surfaces (as with ALL tires) that YOU drive on make as big a difference as the tire itself. If you are lucky enough to be driving on smooth blacktop in Arizona with their high rubber content "quiet asphalt" then knobby mudder tires might seem quiet to you. If, conversely, you are here in Texas on grooved concrete freeways then only an "S" Class or LS will likely seem really quiet...and perhaps every little bit helps.
Oh, and all Tesla tires (for all models) have foam in them now I believe regardless of tire brand (Goodyear Soundcomfort, Continental ContiSilent, and Michelin Acoustic Tech).

Thank you for the extremely detailed post. Very, very informative!

Worth noting that TireRack now carries the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Tesla Acoustic Tech tire (with foam) that is standard on new performance models since 2016... I had them add it to the system by contacting Michelin to get the part number and providing it to Tire Rack for an order I placed. They did not previously list the tire on the website.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9PS3XLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Worth noting that TireRack now carries the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Tesla Acoustic Tech tire (with foam) that is standard on new performance models since 2016... I had them add it to the system by contacting Michelin to get the part number and providing it to Tire Rack for an order I placed. They did not previously list the tire on the website.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9PS3XLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Same as this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ac9-26d103f6c586&pf_rd_r=M0S1JYR619WYK7J78BR2

NO that tire has the wrong manufactures part number. That tire will not have the foam and was originally made for Mercedes and will be marked MO on the sidewall. It will work on the Tesla but it will not have the foam. Only a tire with the TO marking will have the Acoustic Foam.

I did find the correct one on amazon for a higher price then TireRack here however id like to point out that with TireRack you get free road hazard insurance with the purchase which will cover replacement costs or repairs, something you won't get with an Amazon purchase!! Ive seen posts from other members on here who have also recommended Tesla owners buy from TireRack as they will cover tire replacement costs from a service center as well under the road hazard policy. Basically all you have to do is buy a set of tires from them and if you have an issue you can have any tire shop including a Tesla service center replace the tire and you will be reimbursed by tire rack... Seems like an obvious choice after leaning that myself and I plan to buy all future tires through them!!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Here’s a quote from another member who has used the road hazard services from TireRack...
For the second time since I bought replacement Conti-Silents from Tire Rack, in February, I hit something and cut the sidewall. Their prices were very competitive, the tires are almost always in stock, arrive in 2 days, and most importantly they include free road hazard insurance. A simple phone call or email, followed by sending pictures of the damaged tire, resulted in almost immediate approval for me to order a replacement tire. They send the reimbursement check very quickly, and my only out-of-pocket cost was the mounting and balancing. I very highly recommend them.

• Helpful