Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-50 Outdoor Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished installing NEMA 14-50 outdoor receptacle for charging in anticipation of my Model Y delivery. You can save a lot of money doing this yourself if your particular situation isn’t too complicated and you are confident in basic electrical skills. Worst part is dealing with the stiffness of #6/3 wire. Now I just need my car!
FB6B0FD1-8771-49A3-A950-9CAEE1021A06.jpeg
A50A9773-85D0-4194-868F-39DD446C5B9F.jpeg
B1B34E9A-A8DF-4459-B6B7-E24C1F3EE26C.jpeg
F10FB158-FC07-46A9-AC33-2C8F668C9CA8.jpeg

Nice job! Looks great. I thought about doing it myself, but with this type of electrical work I'd rather just have the peace of mind that someone who knows way more about this did it 100% right.

Thanks! If you aren’t comfortable with it definitely best to hire a pro. To be fair I am an electrical engineer so I have a bit more understanding of this stuff then the average person, but my work focuses on very small circuit design not home electrical systems so I still have to do my research on this stuff like everyone else before doing a job.

Nice job. I am about to attempt the job myself, but mine will be inside. From the look of it, the hardest part is the wrestling with the 6/3 wire. Did you use GFCI breaker and an industrial outlet (I had to order the Tesla recommended one online)?

Looks very nice. Can't really tell from the pictures, but make sure you support the charger itself, don't just let it hang from the outlet.
It's not actually the charger * but you are right to state that the Mobile Connector needs to be supported by a bracket or other support. Don't let the Mobile Connector dangle from end of the power plug as the receptacle and the plug were not designed to support the weight of the Mobile Connector or the charging cable.

* The correct term for this equipment is electric vehicle service equipment or electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE.) Please don't refer to this as the charger else somewhere an electrical engineer will cry real tears. GM sometimes refers to their EVSE as the charging station cord set.

Nice job. I am about to attempt the job myself, but mine will be inside. From the look of it, the hardest part is the wrestling with the 6/3 wire. Did you use GFCI breaker and an industrial outlet (I had to order the Tesla recommended one online)?

1. I did in fact get a permit for this work

2. I saw mixed info on the use of GFCI breakers due to the outdoor nature of the receptacle but I asked the permit office/inspector and was told it was not required, just to be sure that I got a UL outdoor approved box. The UMC has a GFCI in it which is intended to protect the car and the passengers essentially, but this doesn't really do much for an individual plugging something in while it's raining for instance. In the end I decided not to install a GFCI breaker as it seems some people have issues with the UMC tripping it.

3. I did not opt for a specifically industrial receptacle (though this is an RV outdoor housing unit and it should be decent quality). My main reason for not going out of my way to get an industrial option is that I plan on leaving my UMC plugged in 99% of the time so there will be very little cycling of the receptacle.

4. Inside you have a bit less to worry about overall, especially in terms of water and going through the side of a house. Best of luck and just be patient with the 6/3 wire =]

Just finished installing NEMA 14-50 outdoor receptacle for charging in anticipation of my Model Y delivery.
fb6b0fd1-8771-49a3-a950-9caee1021a06-jpeg.597416
Try to find a way to hold the UMC charger using a bracket, a small shelf, or a bicycle water bottle holder...

The issue is the weight of the UMC after some time might pull out a little bit the plug which would not get a good contact anymore.

Thus, one pin might start to overheat and might create a meltdown of the wires inside the wall with a risk of creating a short.

tesla-umc-bracket-jpg.595215

In sofar as the GFCI goes.... I’m confused about the code.... code says GFCI on everything with a plug these days, but the GFCI spec for EVSE is 20ma and for all other uses 5ma. It seems they have you in a conflicting corner where you must hardwire. Maybe I’m missing something?

1. I did in fact get a permit for this work

2. I saw mixed info on the use of GFCI breakers due to the outdoor nature of the receptacle but I asked the permit office/inspector and was told it was not required, just to be sure that I got a UL outdoor approved box. The UMC has a GFCI in it which is intended to protect the car and the passengers essentially, but this doesn't really do much for an individual plugging something in while it's raining for instance. In the end I decided not to install a GFCI breaker as it seems some people have issues with the UMC tripping it.

3. I did not opt for a specifically industrial receptacle (though this is an RV outdoor housing unit and it should be decent quality). My main reason for not going out of my way to get an industrial option is that I plan on leaving my UMC plugged in 99% of the time so there will be very little cycling of the receptacle.

4. Inside you have a bit less to worry about overall, especially in terms of water and going through the side of a house. Best of luck and just be patient with the 6/3 wire =]

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I just had my 14-50 installed today on the outer wall of my garage and plan on using the mobile charger that comes with my Tesla. I'd like to leave it permanently there, but everything I'm reading says not to. Even in the manual for the mobile charger it warns not to leave it exposed to snow/rain. Since I'm in Boston, I'm planning on lots of rain and snow.

Is it ok to just mount it and leave it outside? Or what about using an enclosure box for the mobile connector itself?

I just had my 14-50 installed today on the outer wall of my garage and plan on using the mobile charger that comes with my Tesla. I'd like to leave it permanently there, but everything I'm reading says not to. Even in the manual for the mobile charger it warns not to leave it exposed to snow/rain. Since I'm in Boston, I'm planning on lots of rain and snow.

Is it ok to just mount it and leave it outside? Or what about using an enclosure box for the mobile connector itself?
Some potentially useful posts here: Using Mobile Connector Outside When Rainy?

For permanent installation a weather protected housing (shelter) that is large enough for the 14-50 receptacle and the Mobile Connector may be an option. The better solution would be to skip the 14-50 receptacle and the Mobile Connector; instead hard wire a Wall Connector to the circuit as this would provide an all-weather solution.

Last edited:
Some potentially useful posts here: Using Mobile Connector Outside When Rainy?

For permanent installation a weather protected housing (shelter) that is large enough for the 14-50 receptacle and the Mobile Connector may be an option. The better solution would be to skip the 14-50 receptacle and the Mobile Connector; instead hard wire a Wall Connector to the circuit as this would provide an all-weather solution.

Yeah I'm realizing too late that I should have gone Wall Connector for the outside. After I realized it may not be something I can leave permanently, I was thinking maybe I could put the mobile connector in this box and somehow feed the 14-50 adapter into it. Idk. https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-IPE963-LTC-Extreme-Broadband-Dimensions/dp/B07FY224LW/

Last edited by a moderator:

You hit on my problem! I don't live in a particularly wet place, but I was still a bit worried about rain. Sure, I can keep the receptacle dry, but what happens at night when a thunder storm sneaks up? I don't worry about the car either, but the receptacle with a cord plugged in seemed to be a real problem. Eventually, I opted for a Wall Charger, though I wasn't crazy about the cost.

Quick comment here. I have that same setup as a backup system to by wall connector. My best friend put one in as his regular setup. After a year of pulling in and out he got an alert late one night that his car had stopped charging. Upon inspection he found that the plug was totally melted. The constant load and constant in and out had somehow compromised the plug. I’d read this happened to a few people. Pretty scary as it could have ignited his garage (it’s inside). I suggested he bite the bullet and just buy the wall connector. His electrician suggested he buy a “real outlet” to “keep from burning your house down” and he installed this one. HUBBELL HBL9450A GRD RCPT NEMA14-50R | Gordon Electric Supply, Inc.

Reactions: Rocky_H and frankvb
Try to find a way to hold the UMC charger using a bracket, a small shelf, or a bicycle water bottle holder...

The issue is the weight of the UMC after some time might pull out a little bit the plug which would not get a good contact anymore.

Thus, one pin might start to overheat and might create a meltdown of the wires inside the wall with a risk of creating a short.

tesla-umc-bracket-jpg.595215

This is a great suggestion. Where did you get this support bracket? I have the charger just dangling from a NEMA 6-15 connector that I had mysteriously in my garage when I bought the house, and it slowly charges my Model X

Quick comment here. I have that same setup as a backup system to by wall connector. My best friend put one in as his regular setup. After a year of pulling in and out he got an alert late one night that his car had stopped charging. Upon inspection he found that the plug was totally melted. The constant load and constant in and out had somehow compromised the plug. I’d read this happened to a few people. Pretty scary as it could have ignited his garage (it’s inside). I suggested he bite the bullet and just buy the wall connector. His electrician suggested he buy a “real outlet” to “keep from burning your house down” and he installed this one. HUBBELL HBL9450A GRD RCPT NEMA14-50R | Gordon Electric Supply, Inc.
Got that installed a few weeks ago, and it is very solid. Definitely would recommend it.

Note that amazon has a better price - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPBMUKY

You hit on my problem! I don't live in a particularly wet place, but I was still a bit worried about rain. Sure, I can keep the receptacle dry, but what happens at night when a thunder storm sneaks up? I don't worry about the car either, but the receptacle with a cord plugged in seemed to be a real problem. Eventually, I opted for a Wall Charger, though I wasn't crazy about the cost.

Yep. I just ordered the WC last night and that cost was rough. But the snow and rain that hits New England is no joke. There's no way the mobile charger will make it through that (over time).