Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Ohmmu battery you won't NEED a replacement! They are so confident in their lithium 12V batteries that they offer a free 4 years replacement guarantee. Also you get to enjoy better performance in the meantime (especially if you have amplifier/subwoofer combo) www.ohmmu.com

I’ve had in my Model S for years and know others with 4 or more years on theirs now too!

Honestly it is something Tesla should have done (offer a better 12V solution) for our cars but have not done so... yet!

Reactions: neroden
This is interesting but replacing the battery seems daunting. You have to about dissemble the entire frunk and posterior brackets, and you have to try not to get electrocuted. How long did it take you?

not that long. in 10 min I had all the frunk removed. then about 15 min I had the 12v battery out, simple if you remove battery bracket bolts. I was not in a hurry rather I was enjoying seeing all that was there behind the tub.... I spent a little time detailing everything making it look new again. The reward was having more power in the premium sound system.

And of course you no longer get any free replacements from Tesla.

free is not always free. not knowing when or where the replace battery message is going to popup I find that troubling to me to then make appointments and time lost to be doing other things. Like I stated in my post that this cost may not be for everybody. Peace of mind and stronger performance was reward enough. This new battery seems to be handling my power demands with ease so far... We play radio while hanging out around our X and are running blackvue cameras and 24/7 wifi hotspot to get live video feeds. Then run parking lights and charging phones and tablets for us and passengers and all. That poor little lead battery gives all it can in a year.

Q
There definitely has to be something with the quality of the battery at play.. My 2013 has not had its 12v battery replaced yet. For the last 2 years, it has also had front/rear dashcams running constantly.

Quality may not be as much in play as to how hard you us its power running more accessories and charging other devices. The replace battery message comes up once the cars systems sees a smaller gap between charge and discharge (SOC) of 12v battery. The number of lead acid cycles are 600 to 700 on such a small battery. The lipos are more like 2000+

With Ohmmu battery you won't NEED a replacement!

Honestly it is something Tesla should have done (offer a better 12V solution) for our cars but have not done so... yet!

I would agree it should already be in the car, but I am sure they are trying to keep the cost of the car as low as they can. I will bet that in 4 more years we will see more premium add ons as finish building up infrastructure like Gigafactory 1 and all. Tesla will be able to make the 12v lipo packs for far less than $500 now.

free is not always free. not knowing when or where the replace battery message is going to popup I find that troubling to me to then make appointments and time lost to be doing other things. Like I stated in my post that this cost may not be for everybody. Peace of mind and stronger performance was reward enough. This new battery seems to be handling my power demands with ease so far... We play radio while hanging out around our X and are running blackvue cameras and 24/7 wifi hotspot to get live video feeds. Then run parking lights and charging phones and tablets for us and passengers and all. That poor little lead battery gives all it can in a year.

But doesn’t this void the warranty? If something goes wrong, Tesla might blame the problem on the non factory battery.

Reactions: Gary and Rachel
But doesn’t this void the warranty? If something goes wrong, Tesla might blame the problem on the non factory battery.

Good question rainforest, not sure if you will find a fast answer on tesla forum. But we have another thing in our favor. It was something put into law to all car manufacturers a while back. Car companies cannot force a out of warranty issue on consumable parts used on cars they build. The only thing that a car company can do is not support off market parts installed. So in my case tesla would not warranty the battery, instead that support comes from the off brand battery maker. Now if I had an electrical issue in my 12v system tesla would have to look into what the problem was. If the problem was the lipo 12v itself then Its my problem, but anything to do with the car would be under the original warranty andbin my case I bought an 8 year plan. If you ask me too I'll try and find that report.

So in my humble opinion you can buy any aftermarket upgrades from all the parts folks who see upgrades like interior led lighting and such with complete confidence of not voiding your warranty.

This weekend my 12v battery died and had to jump the car to bring it back to life. I never got the 12v. Battery warning. The only clue, I was getting "Parking Break Functions Degraded" in the mornings after waking up. Ordered the OHMMU lithium battery on Friday and will install it tonight. The car continued to work as long as it didn't go to sleep. I kept it on trickle charge when I wasn't driving. Look forward to a more robust battery.

• Informative
Reactions: doghousePVD
This weekend my 12v battery died and had to jump the car to bring it back to life. I never got the 12v. Battery warning. The only clue, I was getting "Parking Break Functions Degraded" in the mornings after waking up. Ordered the OHMMU lithium battery on Friday and will install it tonight. The car continued to work as long as it didn't go to sleep. I kept it on trickle charge when I wasn't driving. Look forward to a more robust battery.
What year and how many miles?