Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 volt accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would that work? I don't think the cig lighter in the Roadster is connected to the 12V battery. Although it works when the car is powered off so maybe so. Would be interesting to hear Tesla's view of that.

I vaugly remember Tesla saying they don't approve that method. The 1.5s don't have a 12V battery and I don't remember when that was said (if it was pre2.0).

IF it were used in that fashion, it would be a dire emergency as it only provides a small amount of power. (emphasis on dire) They specifically said that using a cable jump start (cig lighter) from the roadster isn't a good idea and don't approve of it.

I just got the 12v Battery Warning. Unlocked the doors w/ the keyhole under the door. I heard the alarm disarm tone from the car when I used the key remote. The port-a-jump wasn't needed as I was able to drive home.

It says though that the 12v battery is not essential to driving, just locking and some other functions. I'd still be hesitant to drive anywhere with that error coming up.

About two months ago I replaced my dead 12 volts battery with a motorcycle battery. If I remember correctly it had 1 Ah less capacity than the original. It has worked fine so far.

So not a big deal luckily. But if the main battery or PEM fails and warranty is void, the fun starts... I REALLY hope it will be possible to extend the warranty or a former Tesla-employer or similar offers assistance at reasonable prices, even remote assistance would be helpful, if teaming up with local guys that are skilled.

I just got the 12v Battery Warning. Unlocked the doors w/ the keyhole under the door. I heard the alarm disarm tone from the car when I used the key remote. The port-a-jump wasn't needed as I was able to drive home.

It says though that the 12v battery is not essential to driving, just locking and some other functions. I'd still be hesitant to drive anywhere with that error coming up.

I just got my 12V battery replaced today. I've been driving since early June with that error message. Other than the annoyance of using the physical key due to its location under the door, the car worked fine.