Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$12 five minute LED Frunk Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the $189 is too expensive, but I like the non-splicing of the Tesla wiring. I'm going to try and do it myself.

I bought LED Strips from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...power-led-flexible-light-strip--nfls-x3/1465/

I think two strips at $16 is enough, because they can be cut in half.

I just need to find the proper connector to splice onto the strips so they will plug into the Tesla connector that exists in the Frunk LED and the two unused connectors in the trunk. Hoping to hit Fry's to find the right connector I need. If anyone knows of a place online that has it, that would be great.

I just don't want to cut any of the Tesla wiring, so that I can always return it to the way it was originally.

Tesla Accessories requires you send them back your lights as a core, so chances are its non-standard. Your best bet is probably to order the pieces from Tesla (which is probably expensive).

From the thread about adding a front camera Tesla Model S Front Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - TESLARATI.com They use 2 solutions for powering that could be used for the light.

Using a PosiTap tap power from the yellow wire with purple stripe in one of the three wire bundlesicon1.png behind the driver’s side kick panel. This method is highly recommended, as the fuse tap solution below requires running a long lead from the #3 fuse box through the fender channel with the camera cable into the driver’s door jamb area.

• Using an Add-a-Fuse and a 5 amp mini fuse, tap fuse #75 in fuse box #3.
      Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-1-150x150.jpg
      Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-2-150x150.jpg
      Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-3-150x150.jpg

• Always powered always on via the OBD2 connector (option 2)
    The OBD2 connector provided with the camera switch kit provides both a 12v and ground connection. With this method the camera switch is always on and thus uses power from the 12v battery. If your car will be parked for long periods of time (10 days or longer) without access to a charger, do not not use this method.

Read more at http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-front-camera-touchscreen-kit/#SHEY6RSvaLoJFFsz.99

It doesn't really say. "You will be provided with a USPS postage-paid envelope to return the OEM lighting housing back to us (free of charge)"

They don't threaten to charge you if you don't return them, so I guess it's more of a suggestion than a requirement.

From the thread about adding a front camera Tesla Model S Front Camera Touchscreen Switch Kit - TESLARATI.com They use 2 solutions for powering that could be used for the light.

Using a PosiTap tap power from the yellow wire with purple stripe in one of the three wire bundlesicon1.png behind the driver’s side kick panel. This method is highly recommended, as the fuse tap solution below requires running a long lead from the #3 fuse box through the fender channel with the camera cable into the driver’s door jamb area.

• Using an Add-a-Fuse and a 5 amp mini fuse, tap fuse #75 in fuse box #3.
      Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-1-150x150.jpg
      Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-2-150x150.jpg
      Tesla-Front-Rear-Camera-Kit-3-150x150.jpg

• Always powered always on via the OBD2 connector (option 2)
    The OBD2 connector provided with the camera switch kit provides both a 12v and ground connection. With this method the camera switch is always on and thus uses power from the 12v battery. If your car will be parked for long periods of time (10 days or longer) without access to a charger, do not not use this method.

Read more at http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-front-camera-touchscreen-kit/#SHEY6RSvaLoJFFsz.99

This is not a good solution for the frunk/trunk lights. For this application, you probably want to tap the power source for the OEM lights, so they turn on and off at the right times.

I did end up buying that 10 light LED from amazon.

aba2aja6.jpg

Before:

uzesyse5.jpg

After:

3e4ebuve.jpg

The really nice thing about this one is that it detaches from its mount so it can be used like a flashlight if necessary. It has 2 light modes, low and high. And for the motion sensor you can set the light to stay on 30 or 60 seconds. I believe it is light sensitive too - aka it's not going to turn on when motion is detected if it is light out. So to force it to always turn on when motion is detected regardless of outside light levels I put a small bit of black electrical tape over the light sensor.

Last edited:
I was able to add LED strip lights that are tied into the car, so they turn on and off with the regular frunk light, without cutting anything from the car, so it can be restored to exactly the way it was.

$16 for LED strip
Wire
splicing connectors
heat shrink
and these pin connectors

E6B1305A-713B-4EC3-9165-EF50E399D723_zpsazstmabl.jpg

29D0CF7E-F51F-43B0-9ECD-F5BF505827A6_zpssbwd9owr.jpg

It looks like a fairly standard connector to plug into. I've got a couple ideas. If I can get a solution to work that doesn't require splicing any original Tesla components, including the light or the connector end, I'll post.

It took me about 30 mins. I didn't cut any wires in the car and I can put the car back exactly the way it was. All the other options I saw were not integrated into the car lighting or required cutting wiring in the car. The frunk took a little longer because I had to extend the LED strip from the back into the original location. I think the trunk will be really easy, because the connectors are not far from where the lights would be, so no splicing of wires to get more length. Just adding the pins to the end of the wire and that's it. It's really not hard and I think I can get 2 lights in the trunk and the frunk, for under $40, with a whole lot of material left over. I'll try the trunk later this week when I have more time.

62E95143-2DAC-4F99-866B-AD45C9459CE0_zpspffxccot.jpg

That looks great - where did you source the parts.

2 - 19.7" strips, cut in half (One half in the frunk, one half on each side of the trunk, and you'll have an extra strip)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...power-led-flexible-light-strip--nfls-x3/1465/

The pins and the heat shrink, I got from Fry's Electronics.

I needed two solderless splicers they showed on Tesla Tap. http://teslatap.com/modifications/lights-how-to-improve-trunk-lighting/

I did not splice into the wiring in the car like the show in Tesla Tap. I just used the splicers to add additional length to the wiring for the frunk in order to get the LED strip from the back of the frunk to the light connector.

Here is a picture of the cable plugged into the car's existing connectors.

8362DB23-EEFA-4CC9-8A54-70DFA3E19ED5_zpsuqz0hano.jpg

2 - 19.7" strips, cut in half (One half in the frunk, one half on each side of the trunk, and you'll have an extra strip)
http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...power-led-flexible-light-strip--nfls-x3/1465/

The pins and the heat shrink, I got from Fry's Electronics.

I needed two solderless splicers they showed on Tesla Tap. http://teslatap.com/modifications/lights-how-to-improve-trunk-lighting/

I did not splice into the wiring in the car like the show in Tesla Tap. I just used the splicers to add additional length to the wiring for the frunk in order to get the LED strip from the back of the frunk to the light connector.

Here is a picture of the cable plugged into the car's existing connectors.

8362DB23-EEFA-4CC9-8A54-70DFA3E19ED5_zpsuqz0hano.jpg

Sorry , can you explain where you got power if you didn't splice into the existing lights?

The picture shows the original Tesla plug, disconnected from the original Tesla light. By modifying the LED strips and putting pins on the end, it allowed me to plug them straight into the existing Tesla plug. This way I didn't have do any splicing or cutting of original wiring. I didn't have to return the OEM light like the $189 option out there and I can put the car back to the way it was in less than a minute.

This just made the most sense to me and works in both the frunk and the trunk.

Sorry , can you explain where you got power if you didn't splice into the existing lights?

The picture shows the original Tesla plug, disconnected from the original Tesla light. By modifying the LED strips and putting pins on the end, it allowed me to plug them straight into the existing Tesla plug. This way I didn't have do any splicing or cutting of original wiring. I didn't have to return the OEM light like the $189 option out there and I can put the car back to the way it was in less than a minute.

This just made the most sense to me and works in both the frunk and the trunk.

oh ok, I get it now. You didn't plug back in the OEM light. You are just disconnecting it completely and using that wiring harness instead of splicing.