Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior lighting. Best product, and frunk add.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are three wires to the FRUNK button/light. You just find the positive and negative, and use those. And here for your wiring convenience are those wires labeled. I've tapped in and added a connector for the second light. And on my end this thing is right-side up. Not sure what happened there!View attachment 353412
Hey just found this great post. The frunk is really dim. Did you just cut a rectangle into the frunk there? What did you use for the connector? It looks like an old PC fan connector plug. Did that plug into the stock lights?

Hey just found this great post. The frunk is really dim. Did you just cut a rectangle into the frunk there? What did you use for the connector? It looks like an old PC fan connector plug. Did that plug into the stock lights?
Yup, just used a utility knife to make the square hole (using a factory light housing as a template). And I used whatever connector I found handy in my connector bin! I wanted a removable connection so that plastic piece could be easily removed entirely without having to cut or desolder wires. Nothing plugged into any of the stock wiring. I spliced a new set of light wires behind the OEM connector with those screw-together barrel connectors.

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
Yup, just used a utility knife to make the square hole (using a factory light housing as a template). And I used whatever connector I found handy in my connector bin! I wanted a removable connection so that plastic piece could be easily removed entirely without having to cut or desolder wires. Nothing plugged into any of the stock wiring. I spliced a new set of light wires behind the OEM connector with those screw-together barrel connectors.

Have you got a YouTube channel or video for this? Would love to follow a tutorial and do the same please.

Thank you, great job and finish btw!

Thanks for the nice words. I've spent hours and all sorts of money on detailed DIY tutorials for my previous two vehicles (on my EVnut.com site). It was a labor of love, and mostly thankless. In fact the folks who distributed the links to my tutorials garnered more "Thanks a LOT, exactly what I was looking for!" comments than did the person who painstakingly created the modification and documented it.

Yes, a tiny bit of sour grapes, of course..... sorry.

The good news is that this particular mod is really quite simple. There are three wires that go to that OEM light/button, and two of them are positive and negative 12VDC. Those are the two you need, and then you cut your light into the plastic. If you're fancy, you add a connector instead of just directly splicing the wires. Very low risk, and pretty good reward.

I went with Abstract Ocean's lights and love em. Here's a demo and install video.
Also note you get 15% with code: LivingTesla

These had to be the easiest install ever. 2 footlights and 2 in the trunk. 5 minutes total, max! I like a challenge, next I will install one in the back seat under the charging ports on the center console.Theres gotta be 10 times the light in these areas now. Abstract Ocean absolutely rocks!

Reactions: XLR82XS and Kbra
I like your commitment with the camera!

What did your camera show the OEM light doing during that time? If wired like mine, it acts no differently than that light.

An easier test that does not require a camera is to just leave the hood up. Go do something else for 15 minutes and come back and have a look. Both lights will be out. Same thing happens for the trunk lights. (Note that I'm guessing on the exact time, but it is about 15 minutes).

If your secondary light is staying on while the OEM light is out, then you perhaps have the new light wired to always hot.

I see that I provided a pretty sketchy photo of the wiring. I can do better than that if you need.... I mean once my wife allows me use of the car... :)

It's wired like yours. I just didn't wait for the 15 minutes for it to timeout and turn off (only waited for a minute - which is the problem). I just assumed it would turn off with the frunk closed. Do you think it's on while driving?

I'd have to guess that when the car "starts" that all interior lights go out. I also didn't realize that those lights would stay on for any length of time once the frunk was closed. Does the trunk light stay on when closed too??

I'd have to guess that when the car "starts" that all interior lights go out. I also didn't realize that those lights would stay on for any length of time once the frunk was closed. Does the trunk light stay on when closed too??
Ok, I confirmed it. If the frunk is closed, the light turns off after 5 minutes exactly. This is whether you drive or just sit in the car.
Again, thanks for the great mod idea!!!

Ok, I confirmed it. If the frunk is closed, the light turns off after 5 minutes exactly. This is whether you drive or just sit in the car.
Again, thanks for the great mod idea!!!
Ah. Well, that's great info to have. I'm gonna guess that the trunk works the same way. I'm not sure that I understand the benefit of a 5-minute delay, but as long as it shuts off, we're good!