Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You said: "Would you prefer a more expensive car, with quality issues that arrives 6 months late but the exact exotic pearl ivory speccled whatever color paint or would you prefer a limited selection, great quality and a car that arrives on time at a lower price?"
Are you saying that the expense, the quality issues, the late delivery, and the color choice all have a common cause and thus come and
go together? What is the 'W' in your original statement?
The W is obviously the ability to choose from an excessively large list of customisable options.

Refer back to my original post in the thread for context, it answers your question.

Actually we both were wrong. See snap shot from the latest Manual. The snap shot included in my original post was from the previous version of the Manual.

The rating of each motor used on 90D is 193kW/258Hp, not 145kW/194Hp as you mentioned (that motor was used in 85D only). So combined rating of the two motors in 90D is 386kW/517Hp. So my original point was correct, 90D throughput is limited by the battery, NOT motors and increasing pack output of 100D could provide additional 100Hp throughput as compared to 90D (517Hp-417Hp=100Hp). I was off with the numbers, though.

Here is the proof that @MP3Mike was wrong to insist that 90D has two 145kW/194Hp motors. As could be clearly seen from the snap shot below, 90D has two 193kW/259Hp motors. The snap shot below also confirms that 90D power output is limited by the battery to 417Hp. Because combined rating of the motors, 518Hp, is 101Hp higher than output of the 90D battery, improved power output in 100D pack could potentially add 101Hp to the total power throughput.

This snap shot also explains why smaller 145kW/194Hp motors are no longer listed in the latest Model S Manual - they no longer are used in any variant of the car.

Snap1.png

@vgrinshpun (and anyone with comments)

While I am not against the idea that 100 kWh battery can provide more power than a 90 kWh, certainly it can, I wonder about the likelihood of these:

1) Software limitation. Clearly both pricing and specs suggest Tesla has selected a position for the 90D/100D in the line-up that is nicely between the two extremes, for their sales and marketing purposes. It would seem quite plausible to me that Tesla is not really looking to change any other metric than range here. Price is roughly the same (up a relatively similar amount as 60D was up by itself recently) and other specs are the same...

2) Fuses etc. We know the P100D and other Ludicrous models have special fuses and stuff (others are more expert at this than me) to allow for the higher power ratings... What chances are there that 100D, while pack would allow more, might be HP limited by some other part that is different from P100D?

I think the first option is morely likely to be relevant here, but thought I'd ask.

• Informative
Reactions: xborg and krouebi
It is certainly true that never is a good time to buy a new Tesla. However, some times are worse than others. When it gets too sour, it is better take a breather and try again later.

There is no incentive to order a 100D now and Tesla did take away quite a bit of stuff - not just unlimited Supercharging but also various interior configurations and ventilated seats. So if 90D doesn't excite anymore, there is likely no harm in waiting longer and possibly benefits instead.

Giving it a moment and seeing what new stuff might finally take the place of these removals sounds like a fair plan to my ears...

IMO it might still be wise for Tesla to allow converting 90D orders to 100D without missing anything. Happier customers and perhaps more sales that way.

As the eternal Irish optimist, I'm hopeful that the 90D battery stock count is off by a healthy margin and they have no choice but to add the 100D to my build, as my car isn't in production yet, but I know it's a stretch. I would pay for it obviously as well. I'm guessing that the batteries are a JIT order however, not just crated and sitting there on a trickle charge. . .

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
@vgrinshpun (and anyone with comments)

While I am not against the idea that 100 kWh battery can provide more power than a 90 kWh, certainly it can, I wonder about the likelihood of these:

1) Software limitation. Clearly both pricing and specs suggest Tesla has selected a position for the 90D/100D in the line-up that is nicely between the two extremes, for their sales and marketing purposes. It would seem quite plausible to me that Tesla is not really looking to change any other metric than range here. Price is roughly the same (up a relatively similar amount as 60D was up by itself recently) and other specs are the same...

2) Fuses etc. We know the P100D and other Ludicrous models have special fuses and stuff (others are more expert at this than me) to allow for the higher power ratings... What chances are there that 100D, while pack would allow more, might be HP limited by some other part that is different from P100D?

I think the first option is morely likely to be relevant here, but thought I'd ask.

1. I generally agree that 90D/100D is designed to be slotted in between the extremes. It should be noted that while 90D was roughly midway between the extremes, by the virtue of the fact that P100D moved the 0-60 time from 3.1s/2.8s to 2.5s, there is some room to move 100D 0-60mph time down.

2. This is my speculation, but it is not just a plausible one, but also is based on some data information available for P100D. I believe that due to the use of the flexible printed circuit boards in P100D pack to interconnect individual battery cells Tesla was able to reduce overall resistance of these interconnections, and, therefore losses in the pack. This in turn reduces heat losses in the pack and also reduces voltage sag under high current draw. So it is possible to extract more power from the battery pack without necessarily increasing the current. It is my believe that 100D will likely have improved performance after Tesla discontinue 90D. If I remember correctly 90D similarly had it's performance bumped after Tesla discontinued the 85D.

I can tell you right now. That im 100% POSITIVE that the 100D will have it's 0-60 time improved. Just like Tesla did with the 85D when it was released it had a 0-60 time of 5.4 Seconds but after an OTA update it was dropped down to 4.4. but majority of owners were getting 4.2 Seconds. So imagine that it says 4.2 Now, give it a couple months and it will be dramatically improved to around 3.4 but thats just my guess. Im thinking that it's going to be just as fast as a P85D w/o ludicrous mode. But im still surprised that any 85D could have the same exact 0-60 time as the 100D.

Last edited:
@vgrinshpun

Thank you. Sounds plausible.

@P85DBeast

Certainly possible. A lot of the moves Tesla has been making recently seems to be geared towards moving those remaining 90D's. Making 100D tempirarily as "slow" would help with such a goal. So, definitely plausible.

Of course there still remains the possibility that 100D is limited to a number Tesla actually wants for this price point. After all the P models have become progressively much more expensive since the old days and thus Tesla has more incentive than ever to more aggressively separate them from the rest of the pack (no pun...).

Reactions: P85DBeast
I support the ideas already mentioned. Curious: does limiting 100D 0-60 have a significant effect on range / EPA mileage rating?

Most likely not. The range is tied to the motors used in a particular variant of the car. Performance motors used in the rear for P models are optimized for maximum torque and horsepower ratings at the expense of the efficiency under the cruising conditions. Since 100D does not use performance motor in the rear, the efficiency is better than for P100D and does not vary depending on limiting output from the battery.

$3K price increase is not bad for a 15KWh usable energy pack. Sure it gives you only about 40 additional miles, but for $3K price, that is a no brainer when you extrapolate over 10 years or so of ownership. I don't know why anyone would get the 90D now when for $3K more, you can get a significantly better car.

As expected they kept the performance of a 100D same as the 90D to justify the P100D.

As for the small price increase, I think it's because of the removal of the free supercharging. This can be quite a bit if one does a lot of road trips over the years well past the free 400KWh per year. I, for one, am glad tesla is removing the price of the supercharging from the 100D. Now to be fair, they should make the 90D cheaper by $x too since free supercharging is gone.

Right. If you look at incremental range versus incremental kWh, the change from 90D to 100D (for Model S) gives you the highest incremental change in mile for the increment in kWh of any such change in the current range -- 6.1 miles for each kWh versus 2.1 to 2.7 for the others. This might relate partly to the issue of true battery capacity and rounding of capacity discussed in other threads, and/or to better efficiency in the 100 kWh battery. Leaving aside any consideration of optional equipment and looking solely at base prices, the 100D is also now the cheapest Model S in dollars per mile of range, by far. 100D prices out at 3.6 miles of range per $1000 (US prices) compared to 2.3-3.1 for other models. If you can afford it, and if the range estimate is accurate, it's a bargain, relatively speaking!

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman and KJD
im 100% POSITIVE that the 100D will have it's 0-60 time improved. Just like Tesla did with the 85D when it was released it had a 0-60 time of 5.4 Seconds but after an OTA update it was dropped down to 4.4. but majority of owners were getting 4.2 Seconds. So imagine that it says 4.2 Now, give it a couple months and it will be dramatically improved to around 3.4

My gut is the same, so as a guy who had option of upgrading to 100D for no change $, but declined because he wanted his interior spec (which disappeared), and his ventilated seats, make me feel better. . .

Exactly how perceptible will the 4.2- 3.4 incremental performance feel? When, if I never drag race, would those 8 tenths be missed? As a new guy to tesla but a guy who definitely likes torque, I am still struggling with my compromise. Wish they'd just call me and tell me they're out of 90D batteries. . .

That's some interesting math.
If you swap those kWh numbers you'll be closer to the reason why

@AMPd From WK057s data:

* 60kWh cars have 62.4 kWh usable
* 75kWh cars have 72.6 kWh usable
* 90kWh cars have 81.8 kWh usable
* 100kWh cars have 98.4 kWh usable

So Tesla charges $6,500 to upgrade from a 60 to a 75 which adds 10.2 usable kWh. ($637/kWh) Then they charge $3,000 to upgrade from the 90 to the 100 which adds 16.6 kWh. ($181/kWh)

Why do they charge 3.5 times as much per kWh for the 60 to 75 upgrade?

Reactions: David29
My gut is the same, so as a guy who had option of upgrading to 100D for no change $, but declined because he wanted his interior spec (which disappeared), and his ventilated seats, make me feel better. . .

Exactly how perceptible will the 4.2- 3.4 incremental performance feel? When, if I never drag race, would those 8 tenths be missed? As a new guy to tesla but a guy who definitely likes torque, I am still struggling with my compromise. Wish they'd just call me and tell me they're out of 90D batteries. . .

Pretty sure they are almost out of 90 kWh packs. Majority are going to become loaner car's I bet. Wouldn't be that surprised if within 4 to 5 months people are receiving BRAND NEW 90's as loaner cars.

@AMPd From WK057s data:

* 60kWh cars have 62.4 kWh usable
* 75kWh cars have 72.6 kWh usable
* 90kWh cars have 81.8 kWh usable
* 100kWh cars have 98.4 kWh usable

So Tesla charges $6,500 to upgrade from a 60 to a 75 which adds 10.2 usable kWh. ($637/kWh) Then they charge $3,000 to upgrade from the 90 to the 100 which adds 16.6 kWh. ($181/kWh)

Why do they charge 3.5 times as much per kWh for the 60 to 75 upgrade?

Based on this chart the only users really getting screwed are the 90kWh users like myself. I dont understand why they call it a 90kWh as it should really be called a 80kWh or 85kWh battery at most.