Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D is here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But, all the variables you just listed have not changed except a new choice between free supercharging with 90D or no free supercharging and 100D - the rest of your variables remain the same. You also say that supercharging is not important to you - why the change of heart?

IMO you are trying too hard to quantify an emotional decision - which a car purchase at this level most definitely often is. I certainly can imagine why AVRnj feels the whay they do.

Emotionally speaking, two major variables changed:

1) 90D is no longer the latest and the greatest non-Performance model - now buying that means choosing an outdated model. That is psychologically a non-insignificant change when buying a new car. Had that happened 6 months after delivery, no issue for most, but before your car is even manufactured? It gives pause.

2) And then there is the alternative: upgrade to 100D to fix that issue. OK, the good news here is that it certainly is possible at a reasonable cost still, for those who have not yet accepted delivery and especially those whose car has not yet been manufactured. But that option means forgoing unlimited Supercharging that used to be available. You even loose ventilated seats if that mattered to you.

A few weeks ago, you had the latest and the greatest (non-Performance) car, available with unlimited Supercharging for a short while still. It looked like you could get the best of both worlds. That's a lever, even if unlimited Supercharging is not really that important to you. Emotionally there was a win-win.

Today, you can either get the latest and the greatest non-Performance pack, or you can get unlimited Supercharging and seat ventilation, but you can not get both. Which means, the win-win becomes a win-loss whichever you choose. (I guess the only thing that might turn this into a win-win if one could change the 90D to a P100D without losing anything, but of course then one loses money.)

To gain a new emotional win-win, waiting a little for something else to click and to turn that win-loss into a win-win again makes perfect emotional sense IMO.

Not all will care about such things, of course, but I can understand why AVRnj does. Waiting a little definitely sounds like a good option for them to regain that emotional upside for this investment.

Last edited:
IMO you are trying too hard to quantify an emotional decision - which a car purchase at this level most definitely often is. I certainly can imagine why AVRnj feels the whay they do.

Emotionally speaking, two major variables changed:

1) 90D is no longer the latest and the greatest non-Performance model - now buying that means choosing an outdated model. That is psychologically a non-insignificant change when buying a new car. Had that happened 6 months after delivery, no issue for most, but before your car is even manufactured? It gives pause.

2) And then there is the alternative: upgrade to 100D to fix that issue. OK, the good news here is that it certainly is possible at a reasonable cost still, for those who have not yet accepted delivery and especially those whose car has not yet been manufactured. But that option means forgoing unlimited Supercharging that used to be available. You even loose ventilated seats if that mattered to you.

A few weeks ago, you had the latest and the greatest (non-Performance) car, available with unlimited Supercharging for a short while still. It looked like you could get the best of both worlds. That's a lever, even if unlimited Supercharging is not really that important to you. Emotionally there was a win-win.

Today, you can either get the latest and the greatest non-Performance pack, or you can get unlimited Supercharging and seat ventilation, but you can not get both. Which means, the win-win becomes a win-loss whichever you choose. (I guess the only thing that might turn this into a win-win if one could change the 90D to a P100D without losing anything, but of course then one loses money.)

To gain a new emotional win-win, waiting a little for something else to click and to turn that win-loss into a win-win again makes perfect emotional sense IMO.

Not all will care about such things, of course, but I can understand why AVRnj does. Waiting a little definitely sounds like a good option for them to regain that emotional upside for this investment.

I think you hit on everything very well. The only thing I would add is this, when I put my deposit down on the 15th, I was told that I can make any configuration changes for one week, I can change battery, D vs. Non D, Color, upgrade, anything I want and still get Free Unlimited super charging.

Well, they introduce a new battery within my one week. Great, I go to change it, nope! What we really meant to say is you can make any change you want out of battery and other configuration changes that we have on the day you place the order, and only those batteries, anything else and no.

I think you hit on everything very well. The only thing I would add is this, when I put my deposit down on the 15th, I was told that I can make any configuration changes for one week, I can change battery, D vs. Non D, Color, upgrade, anything I want and still get Free Unlimited super charging.

Well, they introduce a new battery within my one week. Great, I go to change it, nope! What we really meant to say is you can make any change you want out of battery and other configuration changes that we have on the day you place the order, and only those batteries, anything else and no.

Thank you, a very understandable additional point.

All this amounts to settling or not. Do you settle on what you can get? Some people will, happily. Others want to feel the pieces lining up perfectly in their mind. It seems to me you do not want to settle. And if you make a choice to forgo the 90D, there is very little downside in waiting. I mean, you can just re-order any time... The only decision is, do you want that unlimited Supercharging (and ventilated seats), if you do, now is the time. If not, waiting will quite probably only make the available options better.

Here's one more piece of perspective to consider - regarding @MasterT on waiting other car models to appear:

I'm not sure what's your age, I'm 46, and waiting 5 years is not something I consider viable.

I would turn this concept around. Unless one is super-rich, there is a very limited amount of very big purchases one makes in their lifetime. Usually houses, apartments, cars, maybe boats etc. fall into this category. (Hey, even Trump who was mentioned has lived most of the past decades in Trump Tower and Mar-a-lago.) When you make one of these big choices, you will be living with it for a number of years likely - and it will be one less of those limited number of big choices you make.

If you change cars annually or even more often, and money is no object, it doesn't matter much. But if you are going to live with the choice longer, making sure it is a good time for you - whatever your subjective measurements may be - makes sense.

Seriously, what in the crap are you talking abou?? When I placed my order on the 15th I had zero thoughts about 100D, zero.

Then my sincere apologies. There are many out there who tried to do this.

Since you are not one of them then it is confusing why you would not either keep the car you ordered or lose free supercharging and get the 100D. As most people say here, if you wait you will wait forever.

The next jump some are waiting for is the Model 3 reveal and what may come with it for the S/X. There is always something around the corner. Maybe you just happened to be on the edge of one.

Again, my apologies if you had no intention. It is an opinion I have from reading many posts which I should have expressed more generally in other threads and was not intended to single you out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Then my sincere apologies. There are many out there who tried to do this.

Since you are not one of them then it is confusing why you would not either keep the car you ordered or lose free supercharging and get the 100D. As most people say here, if you wait you will wait forever.

The next jump some are waiting for is the Model 3 reveal and what may come with it for the S/X. There is always something around the corner. Maybe you just happened to be on the edge of one.

Again, my apologies if you had no intention. It is an opinion I have from reading many posts which I should have expressed more generally in other threads and was not intended to single you out.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

It's all good, I just honestly never even would have thought to do something like that. I did not even know the 100d was that close on the horizon.

Thanks

It is certainly true that never is a good time to buy a new Tesla. However, some times are worse than others. When it gets too sour, it is better take a breather and try again later.

There is no incentive to order a 100D now and Tesla did take away quite a bit of stuff - not just unlimited Supercharging but also various interior configurations and ventilated seats. So if 90D doesn't excite anymore, there is likely no harm in waiting longer and possibly benefits instead.

Giving it a moment and seeing what new stuff might finally take the place of these removals sounds like a fair plan to my ears...

IMO it might still be wise for Tesla to allow converting 90D orders to 100D without missing anything. Happier customers and perhaps more sales that way.

It is certainly true that never is a good time to buy a new Tesla. However, some times are worse than others. When it gets too sour, it is better take a breather and try again later.

There is no incentive to order a 100D now and Tesla did take away quite a bit of stuff - not just unlimited Supercharging but also various interior configurations and ventilated seats. So if 90D doesn't excite anymore, there is likely no harm in waiting longer and possibly benefits instead.

Giving it a moment and seeing what new stuff might finally take the place of these removals sounds like a fair plan to my ears...

IMO it might still be wise for Tesla to allow converting 90D orders to 100D without missing anything. Happier customers and perhaps more sales that way.

+1 to this. Instead of us placing the order for our 100D right now we are going to give it about 2 to 3 more months, To see if they bring some of the goodies back!

Because the pre selected seat is the premium white leather now
if you select the multi patern textile seat you will get 89500 and 92500 for the 100D
Actually there were silent price increases. First the premium upgrades package went up by $500 to compensate for ventilated seats, then ventilated seats went away, but price did not go back down. Also, no more free decor with leather. So for Tan+dark ash wood with premium upgrades the price difference is +$1,300 higher than couple of months ago, and no free supercharging. For S60 there was another $2,000 increase but that was pre-annouced and not a hidden increases like the others (hidden as people don't tend to notice).

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger

Unless the $3k upgrade from the 90D is an introductory offer and they are going to up the price to better match how they have priced the 100D in the non-US regions.

So all of the things you listed come as a bundle? How does that make any sense? I assumed they were independent, which is why
it seemed reasonable to select only some of them to talk about.
Not sure what led you to that conclusion...

If doing W causes X, Y & Z...Why would you feel that you get to choose which outcome will result.

Like I take Meth for five years, I'll take the hair loss but leave out the premature aging and mental health issues, I don't want those.

Not sure what led you to that conclusion...

If doing W causes X, Y & Z...Why would you feel that you get to choose which outcome will result.

Like I take Meth for five years, I'll take the hair loss but leave out the premature aging and mental health issues, I don't want those.
You said: "Would you prefer a more expensive car, with quality issues that arrives 6 months late but the exact exotic pearl ivory speccled whatever color paint or would you prefer a limited selection, great quality and a car that arrives on time at a lower price?"
Are you saying that the expense, the quality issues, the late delivery, and the color choice all have a common cause and thus come and
go together? What is the 'W' in your original statement?