Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10,000 Miles - Need to have Tires rotated!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live about 300 miles from the nearest Tesla Service Center. So far I've had no need to have any work done on my Model 3. But…I need to have the tires rotated. For those of you who don't have access to a Tesla service Center, who do you trust to put your car on a lift and rotate the tires? There are very few Model 3s in this area - I only see one every 2 or 3 weeks, so I know local tire shops, etc aren't familiar with them. Maybe I just need to get a jack and do it myself?

Discount Tire and Costco both do quite a few tire changes in my area. If you have a lower Tesla density it might be harder.

Any decent tire place should be able to do it. Print out the jack point instructions and watch them while they do it. People do sell special blocks or disks to make the jack points more idiot proof. You can find references here and on Ebay. I bought a set for my S to use at home - my jack has a large pad so it's hard to keep off the battery.

Yep, many places can do it, just ask and make sure that they know the special requirements.
In a recent search, many knew what to do, some required use of a special lift that required advanced scheduling, and some just said they wouldn't touch a Tesla.

Discount Tire here in AZ sees tons of Teslas and they rotate my tires for both S and 3 for free every 5000 miles — multiple times for S and twice for the 3. If this was 2012, I might have a concern given the newness of Teslas at that point, but six years later? We do have lots of Teslas here but perhaps that’s not the case where you live?

The only minor concern I would have is why Tesla rotations shouldn’t occur at 5000 miles like every other car. Problems can be uncovered at time of rotation so more frequent than your 10,000 miles is better, I think. (But perhaps I’m missing something and it’s not that Discount Tire will try to scam customers into buying unneeded services, at least in my many years of using them for rotations.)

Last edited:
Our first tire rotation was in Jacksonville, FL Discount Tire after only 5 weeks of ownership and almost 6,500 miles (6,250 miles is recommended for the Model S). It is FREE, but from past experience I know that I can purchase the Road Hazard Warranty from them and the tires are covered in case I get a nail close to the sidewall (which has happened twice with other cars). I did get a nail during the life of the first set of tires but they were able to patch it.

I tried to go to my regular Discount Tire in Chandler, AZ for a tire rotation. When I set the appointment up online, in the special requests section I mentioned the need for jack pads. When I showed up for my appointment, I spoke to the Discount Tire guy and they did not have jack pads for a Tesla Model 3. He told me it was just too new, although they had jack pads for other cars (Porsche and Corvette).

I ended up taking it to the Tesla Service Center in Tempe where they rotated the tires for free. I also ordered a set of 4 jack pads from ReverseLogic to keep in the car. My service center experience was pleasant and I was in and out in about 30 minutes. (I had an appoinment.)

If you are going to take it somewhere, I would suggest calling them first to see if they have M3 jack pads. Otherwise, buy your own jack pads and if you take it somewhere, explain to the tech how to use them. Keeping jack pads in the car will allow me to get a tire serviced or replaced if I am travelling in more rural areas that may not have many Teslas.

10K miles might be a bit much if our Model S' rotation is any indication. For that car, I waited about that long and the rears were noticeably more worn already than the fronts. More annoyingly though, they must have developed at least some level of wear pattern that resulted in a nice tire whine after the rotation. Going forward, I will likely try to rotate more frequently.