Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 week in, FWD troubles begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just picked up our new 75D last Friday.

My wife had the kids out today, and when she parked in the lot at her destination, the FWD refused to open at all with phantom "obstacle detected" warnings. I drove out there to meet her and was able to get them to go up by overriding them on the touchscreen by pushing and holding down, and they opened up.

They closed just fine with one touch of the button, but again refused to open citing an obstacle detected. I then tried to open the trunk, and that only opened maybe 4-5 inches before it too stopped, thinking there was something overhead. There was not, it was a clear blue sunny sky with no obstacles on either side or above.

I drove about 10 minutes to a different parking lot to re-test, and the doors worked just fine there, and back at home in my driveway.

Something seems to be up with whatever sensor points directly up from the car though, since it was affecting both FWDs and the trunk.

Anybody see this before? Possibly related, we just applied the software update last night.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm not surprised that both trunk and FWDs had similar issue, since they both rely on the FWD sensors (trunk doesn't have it's own sensors).

I haven't had this issue, but sometimes it's best to reboot the car after an OTA update.

Untitled.png

From what I'm gathering, and please feel free to dispute me on this, is the sensors Tesla is using for this cannot handle the heat generated by direct sunlight... If that's the case then how in the hell was this not caught and adjusted for during the mule phase??? Whatever sensors Tesla is using for this, IMHO, are at the core of all of these FWD issues (minus the motor failure instance in the other thread)...

Jeff

From what I'm gathering, and please feel free to dispute me on this, is the sensors Tesla is using for this cannot handle the heat generated by direct sunlight... If that's the case then how in the hell was this not caught and adjusted for during the mule phase??? Whatever sensors Tesla is using for this, IMHO, are at the core of all of these FWD issues (minus the motor failure instance in the other thread)...

Jeff
Ok, I'll dispute you on this. My FWDs have been operating flawlessly, in high heat and direct sunlight. Some people had early issues with the glue that secured the sensors in the doors and a few instances where the exposed sensors had issues, but it is not a fleet-wide issue.

Ok, I'll dispute you on this. My FWDs have been operating flawlessly, in high heat and direct sunlight. Some people had early issues with the glue that secured the sensors in the doors and a few instances where the exposed sensors had issues, but it is not a fleet-wide issue.
Me too, no issues with FWD opening, or opening in a parking garage where a partial open is needed and does happen.

Jeff

Are there any other threads that mention direct sunlight anywhere? The doors were certainly directly in the sun at the time.

The only issue we've had with the FWD's since March is recently one of the doors would close 4/5th's of the way and then stop. But it hasn't happened since the last patch.

The one time we had trouble with the doors opening it turned out there was a tree branch hanging down directly above the roof sensor (the roof sensor is directly between the two FWD's). The car thought there was a low obstacle and wouldn't open the doors. After moving the car a couple of feet it worked fine.

There has been various threads where people have postulated that the heat generated by direct sunlight on the doors have caused issues with the sensors reliability.

Jeff
I believe those were referring to the sensors inside of the falcon wing doors - the specially-developed ones that see through aluminum. The overhead sensor, which is the one responsible for setting the initial height limitation for the FWDs and for the liftgate, is identical to a parking sensor. It doesn't appear to be affected by heat/sunlight. For that matter, the door sensors on my X haven't had issues with sunlight/heat either, and I've been through Death Valley at 115 degrees. I think that issue has been mostly, if not completely resolved.

The only issue we've had with the FWD's since March is recently one of the doors would close 4/5th's of the way and then stop. But it hasn't happened since the last patch.

The one time we had trouble with the doors opening it turned out there was a tree branch hanging down directly above the roof sensor (the roof sensor is directly between the two FWD's). The car thought there was a low obstacle and wouldn't open the doors. After moving the car a couple of feet it worked fine.
I've had the same issue as you since taking delivery in May. The last patch fixed it to the point where it actually closed fine (the 1 falcon wing never both) for about 10 days but now it's has been about 3 times a day where that pesky driver side fwd stops short again!

I have only recently started having a problem with my fwd stopping short, it is always the same door and it has happened after sitting in the garage. Someone mentioned a wire that can come loose inside the door and interfere with the sensor on occasion. If this is true, then it might be the heat from direct sunlight debonding the wire fasteners inside the door?

I am starting to wonder if TM has a staffing issue besides the initial problems with the suppliers especially the front door latch suppliers. The Fremont factory under the GM-Toyota ownership was also plagued with quality issues mainly arising from poor workmanship. And with some of us having absolutely fine vehicles and others having issues, it makes you wonder - can Elon and his team get the workforce to do a better quality job - train them better, give them better tools? The Model 3 client base will be large and not as forgiving as some of the Model X owners have been.

I am starting to wonder if TM has a staffing issue besides the initial problems with the suppliers especially the front door latch suppliers. The Fremont factory under the GM-Toyota ownership was also plagued with quality issues mainly arising from poor workmanship. And with some of us having absolutely fine vehicles and others having issues, it makes you wonder - can Elon and his team get the workforce to do a better quality job - train them better, give them better tools? The Model 3 client base will be large and not as forgiving as some of the Model X owners have been.

I've heard really disturbing things from my Tesla-employed friend-group. Management there is … not strong, and they're hemorrhaging top talent, despite sky's-the-limit pay schedule. -_-

Hm. I knew FWD issues were common, but y'all seem to mostly be dealing with opening issues; whereas all of my problems have been with regards to them refusing to close. I'm starting to think my problems are more specific to Verity … )_)

My opening issues all happened in the span of a few hours on Friday. I haven't had the issue recur so far today.

We do also have an issue with our drivers fwd not always closing all the way - that has happened at least once a day the last 4 days. It gets almost all the way closed and then stops. Reopening and closing normally usually fixes it though once we had to manually override it to get it shut.