Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 ludicrous model 3 - How much will you pay and How fast should it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nev&Co

X60D MC Red. Delivered 12/30/2016
Oct 20, 2016
California
I have this question in my mind for a while and would like to gather some thoughts on this: what is a reasonable price range in correspond to how fast the ludicrous model 3 is? Here's my thought:
3.4-3.6s $65k
3.2-3.4s $70k
3.0-3.2s $75k
<3s $80k and up

I am planning to get either
1. The fastest version available with full autonomy.
2. The cheapest version of awd with full autonomy.

It comes down to how they price for ludrious mode and I am anxiously waiting for the final reveal...Any thought guys? How much is your guess? How fast can they be?

I have this question in my mind for a while and would like to gather some thoughts on this: what is a reasonable price range in correspond to how fast the ludicrous model 3 is? Here's my thought:
3.4-3.6s $65k
3.2-3.4s $70k
3.0-3.2s $75k
<3s $80k and up

I am planning to get either
1. The fastest version available with full autonomy.
2. The cheapest version of awd with full autonomy.

It comes down to how they price for ludrious mode and I am anxiously waiting for the final reveal...Any thought guys? How much is your guess? How fast can they be?

Those prices put the M3 outside of the price of its competition by "A LOT". Keep in mind that the competition of the M3 is NOT the MS.

Reactions: arnis
Those prices put the M3 outside of the price of its competition by "A LOT". Keep in mind that the competition of the M3 is NOT the MS.
I think people who consider ludicrous M3 do not consider much about the competition at $40k level but they rather look at how fast it could go and compare the competition in regards to the 0-60 time. I agree that it is not (and should not be) a competition for MS because if it can run as quick as a MS then soon MS will become history. I do believe that M3 has the capability already to be in par with MS for 0-60 time given the newer battery cells and lighter in weight, but Tesla wouldn't make it that quick yet until they upgrade the MS with the new battery packs and future design.

Elon will push the team to provide the highest performance at the lowest cost.
If a 70kWh Model 3 with ludicrous can be made to do 0-60 in 2.# secs for a reasonable amount of money, it will happen.
I also think if Elon can sell that top line P70DL model for 70K and make a reasonable profit, he will absolutely do so. Model S will not even be factored in the equation. Just as the roadster was easily retired so will MS if the demand drops. If he can sell a 70K performance sedan than beats EVERY other car in production in acceleration profitably why would he not?? Remember, he is a software guy. Iterations matter.

• Informative
Reactions: Daliman
I don't necessarily agree with the premise that if the Model 3 sells well, the Model S will be discontinued. Has BMW discontinued the 7 Series because the 3 Series out-sells it? No. The reason models are discontinued are either because there were high expectations for sales volume that were baked into the accounting budget for it, and it failed to meet those expectations, or that the future outlook for that particular model or segment are unfavorable (as was the case with the Dodge Dart and Chrysler 200). I believe there will be a second-generation Model S (possibly based on the Model 3, ironically enough) as well as a new Roadster and many other variations.

Yes it seems like it would be a dream, but how quick does a car need to be to compel the public to "sustainable transportation"?
Won't this be counter to passenger safety, and won't this have very high insurance rates?
The base model is still rather expensive for most consumers and it doesn't do 0-60 in 2,3, or even 4 seconds so I wouldn't worry about the safety of the masses.

What matters most is that the car is truly compelling and literally drives people away from ICEs.

Reactions: Jaff
Before, or after wk057 gets his mitts on it?

Because the not-quite-top spec model will likely be capable of better performance than it comes programmed for, and be artificially be dialed-back for both warranty cost and model-differentiation reasons. And it's likely the top-spec version might as well if they want to keep the 3 slower than the S.

Kind of like how a Porsche Boxster would be better performer than a 911 if Porsche didn't deliberately gimp them.

Reactions: arnis