Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by linaser View Post
    And do you think, that Tesla Motors will come up with a "world connector" at some point, replacing the current U.S. connector?
    Personally, I do not think Tesla have a real understanding of world electrical standards and until they do they will struggle with a "world connector".
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

Quote Originally Posted by widodh View Post
    Impossible, it's lacking the physical pins to connect L2 and L3.
    Ok, this may be completely stupid, but hear me out:

Name:  Connector.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  29.6 KB

What I know is, that to handle 32A the minimal conductor cross-section is 6 square milimeters.

What I don't know how big the surface of a connector has to be, to support the same current safely.

Don't you think, the existing pins could physicality handle the necessary currents?

If so, it would only be a matter of intelligent communications between the charger and the car to ensure, that the electronic switchboard connects the right things to each other.

Do you think I'm crazy?

Ok, this may be completely stupid, but hear me out:

Don't you think, the existing pins could physicality handle the necessary currents?

If so, it would only be a matter of intelligent communications between the charger and the car to ensure, that the electronic switchboard connects the right things to each other.

Do you think I'm crazy?
    You're crazy!

If the Model S would want to work with any existing EVSE infra it will need a pilot and proximity connector and with your idea that won't work.
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

Maybe even more stupid, but it came to me when I thought about the norweginans missing their neutral conductor:

Name:  Connector2.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  27.2 KB

The Model S could charge from the three phases without any ground or neutral connector, when you connect each of the three chargers between two phases each.

Do you think I'm crazy?
    Yes... moving to power line comms will take you from a simple and reliable protocol to one that's a nightmare in the real world.... and no, those pins will not handle the necessary current.

Take a look at the IEC Type 2 connector.... that's the perfect starting point for any future connector standard.
    Kevin Sharpe - Founder and Patron for UK registered charity Zero Carbon World. Founder and Chairman Mainpine Group. http://about.me/kevinsharpe

If the Model S would want to work with any existing EVSE infra it will need a pilot and proximity connector and with your idea that won't work.
    Yes, but the external charger box, could receive the pilot information and convert the data to a proprietary signal, which then is modulated onto one of the phases - like powerline ethernet...

Ok, I should stop now these crazy considerations and hope, that TM will indeed design a new European connector, that will eventually be adopted as "world connector".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    Take a look at the IEC Type 2 connector.... that's the perfect starting point for any future connector standard.
    The Type 2 connector isn't even that much larger then the Tesla connector.

Problem is: None of the Tesla people seem to have ever touched a Type 2 connector..

Yes, but the external charger box, could receive the pilot information and convert the data to a proprietary signal, which then is modulated onto one of the phases - like powerline ethernet...

Ok, I should stop now these crazy considerations and hope, that TM will indeed design a new European connector, that will eventually be adopted as "world connector".
    Could be possible, but that would mean you need an external box, which you don't want.

You want a direct cable from the EVSE into your car without any signal boxes lying around.
    BMW M5 E39 - Kawasaki Z750R - 3-phase power - Not a Roadster owner, but the co-owner of my/our company is

85kWh - 19" Cyclone grey - Pearl White - Tech Package - PDC - Sunroof - Twin-Chargers - Light package - Nappa Leather

The Type 2 connector isn't even that much larger then the Tesla connector.

Problem is: None of the Tesla people seem to have ever touched a Type 2 connector..
    Agreed.... and if they had they might have thought "so what's this three phase stuff anyway"?

Could be possible, but that would mean you need an external box, which you don't want. You want a direct cable from the EVSE into your car without any signal boxes lying around.
    Yes, but there already is a box -> see lower left at this picture:

Attachment 6706

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Sharpe View Post
    Personally, I do not think Tesla have a real understanding of world electrical standards and until they do they will struggle with a "world connector".
    Ok, to stettle this: here's my "world connector"

And it's downwards compatible (at least in parts)...

Name:  Connector3.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  12.3 KB

(please forgive my crude gimp skills)

Thread Information