Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: first around the world EV race starts May 2012

first around the world EV race starts May 2012

2012: First electric around the world race starting on May 1st 2012 in Barcelona, crossing US, China, Russia and Europe
    Details see: the first around the world electric car race - 80 electric days - world round trip

Past:
    2011: "Tesla goes east": 10.000 km through Europe
    Details see: Tesla goes east - Charge hotels - where you can charge your e-car vehicle

Future:
    2013: First EV standard car race championship
    Details will follow soon on Electric Race
    Last edited by TRON; 2012-04-08 at 06:46 PM.
    Altruists of all countries - band together !

maybe you can use this Coast to Coast EV record

Quote Originally Posted by daxz View Post
    Here is a breakdown of a hypothetical Roadster trip:
    • Using available charging sites (usually camp grounds at 240V/50Amps: I figured 9.8kW charge rate) (searched in Google maps "50 Amp RV" or "50 Amp Campground")
    • This is traveling near speed limit for safety reasons (not ideal).
    • taking 20 minutes time to reserve camp site and hookup
    • No time for getting food/breaks/sleeping along the way other then when charging.

• ~6 days (141 hours)
    • Average total speed including charging = 20.2mph
    • 26+ stops, *850kWh needed. * *(92 hours charging)
    • 49.7 hours driving (Google calculation of time which averages in stopping time for fueling - so real time would be slightly less)

With charging at ideal locations and slow speeds (unsafe *on some of these roads), it would take 120.5 hours at 55mph with, 20 stops, charging for 62 hours.

Here are links -
    1st half: (Google maps seem to have problems with lots of data points)
    Brooklyn Battery Tunnel/Interstate 478 N to E Main St - Google Maps

2nd half:
    E Main St to I-210 W - Google Maps

I have not verified any of the following locations to see if they are available other then looking on google maps. Use at your own risk.

[/td][/tr][tr][td]Leg[/td][td]Location Starting Point[/td][td]min. Travel Time (h)[/td][td]kWh needed[/td][td]min. Charge Time (h)[/td][td]Distance miles[/td][td]Speed Max mph[/td][td]Charge Station[/td][td]Comments
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]NY City[/td][td]3.3[/td][td]53.8[/td][td][/td][td]192[/td][td]65[/td][td][/td][td]Full charge - Range mode - NYC driving
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Carlisle, PA[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]31.3[/td][td]3.5[/td][td]125[/td][td]60[/td][td]westernvillagervpark.com‎[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Somerset, PA[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]38.5[/td][td]4.3[/td][td]154[/td][td]60[/td][td]hickoryhollowcampground.com‎[/td][td]extra charging needed
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Cambridge, OH[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]23.8[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]85[/td][td]65[/td][td]http://www.campspringvalley.com[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]Columbus, OH[/td][td]1.75[/td][td]30.2[/td][td]3.4[/td][td]108[/td][td]65[/td][td]University of Ohio[/td][td]need to find charger by University
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]Richmond, IN[/td][td]2[/td][td]29.0[/td][td]3.3[/td][td]116[/td][td]60[/td][td]grandpasfarmcamp.com[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Cloverdale, IN[/td][td]2[/td][td]31.5[/td][td]3.5[/td][td]104[/td][td]70[/td][td] cloverdalervpark.com[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]Effingham, IL[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]32.8[/td][td]3.7[/td][td]131[/td][td]60[/td][td]camplakewoodcampground.com[/td][td]St.Louis driving
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]St. Louis, MO[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]34.5[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]114[/td][td]70[/td][td]St Louis West/Route 66 Koa Campground[/td][td]not seen on map
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]10[/td][td]Dixon, Missouri[/td][td]2[/td][td]31.2[/td][td]3.5[/td][td]103[/td][td]70[/td][td]dixoncamping.com[/td][td]not seen on map
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Springfield, MO[/td][td]2[/td][td]31.5[/td][td]3.5[/td][td]104[/td][td]70[/td][td]route66koa.com[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Copeland, OK[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]33.3[/td][td]3.7[/td][td]133[/td][td]60[/td][td]bearsdenresort.com‎[/td][td]Back roads + Tulsa, OK *75 on Open Interstate
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]13[/td][td]Stroud, OK[/td][td]2.1[/td][td]32.3[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]129[/td][td]60[/td][td]Curious Gifts[/td][td]Don't see RV site on map lot of other potential places in town, Oklahoma City driving *75mph on Open Interstate
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Weatherford, OK[/td][td]1.75[/td][td]33.8[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]101[/td][td]75[/td][td]no camp grounds listed in area - lots of small towns[/td][td]find connection - Airport/HS/Space museum - can stretch 40 miles to KOA near Elk City
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]15[/td][td]Shamrock, TX[/td][td]1.75[/td][td]32.2[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]96[/td][td]75[/td][td]i40camp.com‎[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]16[/td][td]Amarillo, TX[/td][td]1.7[/td][td]33.8[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]101[/td][td]75[/td][td]fortrvparks.com[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Tucumcari, NM[/td][td]1[/td][td]20.4[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]61[/td][td]75[/td][td]koa.com‎ Tucumcari, NM[/td][td]Top off - short run
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]18[/td][td]Santa Rosa, NM[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]32.8[/td][td]3.7[/td][td]98[/td][td]75[/td][td] santarosacampground.com[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]19[/td][td]Tijeras, NM [/td][td]1.25[/td][td]23.8[/td][td]2.8[/td][td]71[/td][td]75[/td][td]hvrvresort.com‎[/td][td]Shorter charge - city speeds in Albuquerque
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]20[/td][td]Casa Blanca, NM[/td][td]1.6[/td][td]30.5[/td][td]3.4[/td][td]91[/td][td]75[/td][td]Dancing Eagle RV Park[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]21[/td][td]Gallup, NM[/td][td]1.7[/td][td]34.2[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]102[/td][td]75[/td][td]usarvpark.com‎[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]22[/td][td]Joseph City, AZ[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]34.2[/td][td]3.8[/td][td]113[/td][td]70[/td][td]Normas RV Park[/td][td]Hills by Flagstaff
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]23[/td][td]Williams, AZ[/td][td]1.5[/td][td]32.5[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]97[/td][td]75[/td][td]thetrain.com‎[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]24[/td][td]Kingman, AZ[/td][td]1.25[/td][td]27.1[/td][td]3.1[/td][td]81[/td][td]75[/td][td]blakeranchrv.com‎[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]25[/td][td]Needles, CA[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]42.4[/td][td]7[/td][td]140[/td][td]70[/td][td]desertviewrv.com‎[/td][td]Full range charge may be needed - this would be worst leg!
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]26[/td][td]Barstow, CA[/td][td]1.75[/td][td]35.2[/td][td]3.9[/td][td]105[/td][td]75[/td][td]barstowcalicokoa.com‎[/td][td]
    [/td][/tr][tr][td]27[/td][td]Pasadena, CA[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]Top off somewhere in LA area or go to final destination
    [/td][/tr]

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    2012: First electric around the world race starting on May 1st 2012 in Barcelona, crossing US, China, Russia and Europe
    Tron. I am planning a Madrid <-> Aix-En-Provence trip around the same time. We might be able to coincide in Barcelona or along the Coast towards CH.

Any details of the start times and places?

Mark
    Roadster VIN#454EU
    Model S Signature P85+

Good luck to you Rafael. I think there should be no problem catching up to them, as they took over a month to cross the US. Gives new meaning to the phrase "stop and smell the roses". From the pics on their site it seems like they had to charge on 110v a lot. If you bring a tent and sleeping bag you can sleep at campgrounds and charge on 14-50 outlets at least. With a few 70A HPCs along the way you might be able to do 400+ miles some days.

Quote Originally Posted by jcstp View Post
    maybe you can use this Coast to Coast EV record
    In my limited experience, I found that many, many campgrounds that might have 14-50 outlets WILL NOT let you charge at their business. They have read about fires, EVs, blown circuit breakers, burned wiring, and they somehow think that the cost of a charge is similar to a tank of gas ($50) and they refuse. You'd better call before you start your trip and get RV parks that are owned by people who are able to use the internet more than watch Faux TV. I had one owner tell me that they had paid a lot of money to upgrade their pedestals to EATON and did not want them ruined, while on the EATON web site they specifically said that their 14-50s were capable of charging anything at 40 amps continuous, but that did not persuade the owner.

Kinda makes one cry for humanity, no?

I presume this is in California, where we at least try and set the pretense that we 'kinda' teach science? Sigh. As a species, I doubt we will survive the current century.

Yeah! let's do it together! please sand me a email to mestre@tron.ro for better coordination
    If someone want's to join anywhere, everyone is welcome.
    Route: 80edays - Google Maps

Please contact me via email for the coordination.
    You can track my actual position here: the first around the world electric car race - 80 electric days - world round trip

Quote Originally Posted by roblab View Post
    In my limited experience, I found that many, many campgrounds that might have 14-50 outlets WILL NOT let you charge at their business. They have read about fires, EVs, blown circuit breakers, burned wiring, and they somehow think that the cost of a charge is similar to a tank of gas ($50) and they refuse. You'd better call before you start your trip and get RV parks that are owned by people who are able to use the internet more than watch Faux TV. I had one owner tell me that they had paid a lot of money to upgrade their pedestals to EATON and did not want them ruined, while on the EATON web site they specifically said that their 14-50s were capable of charging anything at 40 amps continuous, but that did not persuade the owner.
    Hi rolab, thanks for this important information.
    Is there a dictionary of phone numbers which I can filter for Interstate 80 campgrounds to call them in advance?

Facebook, Twitter and Video

Hello together,
    the actual position of the car you can find on web: the first around the world electric car race - 80 electric days - world round trip
    You're invited to join on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Carre...00003748460086
    follow Twitter: Twitter
    or see the trailer video on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmyXvM6Xz0k
    CU on the road
    Rafael

Quote Originally Posted by Kipernicus View Post
    Good luck to you Rafael. I think there should be no problem catching up to them, as they took over a month to cross the US. Gives new meaning to the phrase "stop and smell the roses". From the pics on their site it seems like they had to charge on 110v a lot. If you bring a tent and sleeping bag you can sleep at campgrounds and charge on 14-50 outlets at least. With a few 70A HPCs along the way you might be able to do 400+ miles some days.
    cool tip with the tent, I will buy a little one to be save against mosquito bites

Thread Information