Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wheel swap: Turbine vs standard

I see some people interested in the Sig who don't want the turbine wheels. I could imagine that P-reservation holders would be willing to swap plus paying part of the option price. This way the Sig reservation holders can get say the panorama roof and the wheels they want.
The only problem is timing: Sig will be out 3-6 months before the first P's.

I would be ecstatic to option 19" wheels on my 40 kWh Model S and swap them plus $2,000 to any other Model S owner (Sig or otherwise) that wants to give up the 21" wheels (even with 6-9 months of wear on them).

UPDATE: I'm not getting the Model S any more so I can't swap with anyone. :-(

Last edited:
I'm betting that Telsa will change their tune on allowing Signature owners to trade in their 21" wheels for cash and/or options. If not, I would be open to such a swap, although I'm considering the aero-wheels. Hard to judge from the photo on the Tesla options page, but while I don't like the look as much, I want the extra range they a projected to bring.

I'm most likely getting a Signature and would consider swapping down to the 19 inch wheels if I can find someone who wants the 21 inch.

I get that the giant 21 inch wheels look good, but they have a lot of drawbacks vs the 19 inch wheels.

1. Tires choices are fewer and significantly more expensive.
2. Ride is rougher due to lower profile tires.
3. Rolling resistance is higher, meaning less range.

I love the look of the turbine wheels, and if they were available in a 19 inch size, that would be my choice.
Why do you want the 21 inch wheels other than for the turbine look?

Last edited:
WhiteKnight, I don't think you really want to trade 19" wheels for the 21" wheels after 6-9 months of wear on MY roads. But if you don't mind lots and lots of damage to the metal from flying gravel, and probably a couple of repaired punctures, you might have yourself a deal. :)

I'm most likely getting a Signature and would consider swapping down to the 19 inch wheels if I can find someone who wants the 21 inch.

I get that the giant 21 inch wheels look good, but they have a lot of drawbacks vs the 19 inch wheels.

1. Tires choices are fewer and significantly more expensive.
2. Ride is rougher due to lower profile tires.
3. Rolling resistance is higher, meaning less range.

There's more:
4. Available tires for the 21" wear out at least twice as fast. Look at the UTQG ratings for the selections.
5. Wider wheels get more rim damage from flying gravel and curb strikes, where on the 19" that would be the tire getting hit.

Those are very similar but not the exact same. The Betas on 10/1 had 10 spokes in the turbine wheels, these have only 9 spokes.

Thats a good Idea to make your S look Unique. Get the 19 wheels that come with the S. Then buy the chrome or black version of those wheels on your own. You can even get 19 inch rims.

All in all, It will run you an extra $1000 since the 21 inch wheels are $3500.00 From Tesla.
rs8-chrome.jpg

http://www.carid.com/lorinser-wheels/rs8-105136.html

Last edited:
Maybe they think they're harder than concrete and do more damage?
Here's a good picture of a typical granite curbstone:
IMG_0027-269x175.jpg

Not only is granite harder than typical concrete (or asphalt curbs, used in many areas), it has a 90-degree angle and often protruding irregularities extending outward -- sometimes, by a centimeter or more.
EV_de said:
you get only in touch with them if you park sideways and you are not used to your vehicle ...
Well, ideally, yes, but (a) parallel parking is the primary form of public parking in the Boston area and (b) there are often challenges that make the ideal parking maneuvers challenging (hills, sharp curves, poorly parked surrounding cars, etc.). The point is, with sharp-edged granite curbs everywhere, all it takes is one mis-cue and you'll have just put a nasty scrape on these 19" rims.