Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile App Platforms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

XrstalLens

Model S P1327 VIN P01867
Dec 30, 2011
Kirkland, WA
I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere and I didn't find it, but has Tesla given any indication that the Model S mobile phone app is going to be released for any platform other than the iPhone, especially at launch?

Well, if the cars are going to be connected, then getting big into installable client-side apps at this point seems, well, late to the party...

Mobile apps must die! | Opinion | .net magazine

(No, not really - we're at the start of the transition, it'll be a few years before we can kill the goofy little apps we all install on our phones).

For a bunch of apps, it makes more sense to use BlueTooth profiles to provide events and take in a video stream from the phone than it does to duplicate the whole application environment - Google Maps and voice recognition on my phone is already better than what any car can do, and the apps on my phone are far more likely to stay up to date, since any app update for the car _should_ go through a security review. Using such a 'remote desktop' style protocol would be safer and allow the phone to be the thing that keeps the apps up to date.

I think it's important that any systems that run non-manufacturer provided code (or have network access) not be the same systems that have CANbus access. Yes, that means that a secondary network sit in-between those systems - more work, but needed. Security through obscurity may work for now, but today's hacker-only barriers become tomorrow's kiddie scripts.