Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Ellure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
LA 2010: Nissan Ellure concept previews future sedan design

06-nissan-ellure-concept.jpg

11-nissan-ellure-la-2010.jpg

I think those so-called 'suicide doors' aren't really in production because if you try to open one slightly on the freeway, the wind would likely force it all the way open.

I think those so-called 'suicide doors' aren't really in production because if you try to open one slightly on the freeway, the wind would likely force it all the way open.
??

There are a few examples of suicide doors (typically half doors) on modern vehicles. The difference now is that usually the front door has to be open first for the rear door to open, so the scenario you describe isn't likely.

The lack of a B-pillar may mean it's less safe in a side impact, but I do like that openness you get without it. I assume the doors are reinforced where it would be.

Suicide door - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disadvantages

* Conventionally hinged doors in front and suicide doors in the back made it difficult for passengers to exit from the front and rear seats simultaneously due to the limited space between the front edge of the rear door and the rear edge of the front door.
* If the user exits the vehicle while it is moving forward, the door will hit him or her upon exit.
* Although a latch or lock usually ensures the door remains securely closed, human error can prevail. Consumer Reports reported in 1969 that the door on a Subaru 360 they were testing opened into the wind while driving with the door partially latched.
* Suicide doors pose more danger than traditional doors when exiting the vehicle towards the street. If a passing vehicle inadvertently hits the open door, it will fling closed, possibly crushing the exiting passenger, rather than simply knocking the door off the vehicle.

Mazda Rx8 has "half sized rear suicide doors", but I think they cannot be opened unless the fronts are opened first.

Last edited: