Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Big increase in PG&E E-9 rates (N. Cal.)

Roadster 472 - S 440
    strange. I had to have my smart meter installed when I added solar so that I could net-meter.

Blog Entries
    Let me clarify ... I should have said I can no longer access the SmartMeter data online, now that I have solar. I misspoke in saying I lost the SmartMeter.

I should have said that I lost daily access to the SmartMeter hourly usage data. And that was extremely useful in tracking down the energy vampires.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Roadster 472 - S 440
    I've been following this rate adjustment for some time. Like many of you I wrote a protest letter when the change was first announced and have thus been copied on all of the decisions.

I am a tier 1 E-9A customer. I at first assumed that the rate increase was bad for me since rates are going up - especially the night-time charging rate - from about $.05 to about $.10. Now that I look more closely, this may be a win for me.

1) a current $0.21/day meter fee is being dropped.
    2) I am a net producer during the day and a net consumer off-peak. Overall, I consume about 20KWh/month - but since I sell back higher-priced juice during the day, I have no net cost. Since both rates are going up by about the same amount - mostly it will be a wash.
    3) Since part-peak summer rates are going up even more than other rates - I may get a net credit from that.
    4) Since peak will start at 3:00 - I should push even more into the grid at peak rates.

The true penalties are for low-consumption users who don't sell back during peak time. That's probably many people with moderately sized PVA arrays.

Of course, now that I look at the numbers - even at $0.40/KWh fixed, my bill would only be $8/month. I think I've already spent too much time thinking about this...

(I'm still in the $450 August bill pre-solar mindset)

Blog Entries
    Maybe PG&E reads the forum . From SmartMeter for Solar Customers

Starting in 2012, PG&E is upgrading existing solar customers with digital electric meters to SmartMeters™. Using SmartMeter™ technology, solar customers will have access to online tools to help monitor net energy usage. Also, you will be able to view the net* amount of energy flowing from your home to the grid, or from the grid to your home.
    Yay. I really have hated not being able to monitor online.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    Maybe PG&E reads the forum . From SmartMeter for Solar Customers

Yay. I really have hated not being able to monitor online.
    Bonnie, I have a PV system and am on E-7. A couple of weeks ago, I used the following to get the free upgrade to a SmartMeter:

SmartMeter Program Upgrade Request

Received an email confirmation shortly after indicating that they'll contact me a few days prior to the installation date. No updates since but, they do the job anyway without me having to plan to stick around at home.
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.11, 27,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

So I'm sitting here w/ my latest PG&E bill and decided to crunch the numbers. As it stands w/ the Roadster we get into Tier 4 in each category. We do not have A/C. 862Kwh billed (128 Peak, 168 Part-Peak, 565 Off-Peak) for a total of $153.33. Running the numbers w/ Smorg's summary (not correcting for time shifts) it looks like I would have paid $136.49 under the new plan. So it's looking like the new plan would be better, especially when we add a Model S which could push us into Tier 5. Does that sound right? Can I call PG&E and move to the new plan now? Granted we're moving into Winter and I haven't looked at those rates.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    So I'm sitting here w/ my latest PG&E bill and decided to crunch the numbers. As it stands w/ the Roadster we get into Tier 4 in each category. We do not have A/C. 862Kwh billed (128 Peak, 168 Part-Peak, 565 Off-Peak) for a total of $153.33. Running the numbers w/ Smorg's summary (not correcting for time shifts) it looks like I would have paid $136.49 under the new plan. So it's looking like the new plan would be better, especially when we add a Model S which could push us into Tier 5. Does that sound right? Can I call PG&E and move to the new plan now? Granted we're moving into Winter and I haven't looked at those rates.
    In anticipation of getting my Model S, I switched to the E-9A plan last month. I decided to do this now after I did some calculations based on historic hourly usage data that is available for the months we have had our Smart Meter. Today I got my first bill under the E-9A plan and my average rate is actually two cents lower than with the previous E-1 plan (same consumption): $0.20 versus $0.22.

Per my bill, I was charged the following rates:

Summer Peak Usage
    Baseline Usage: $0.30178
    101-130% of Baseline: $0.31994
    131-200% of Baseline: $0.50036
    201-300% of Baseline: $0.54036

Summer Partial Peak Usage
    Baseline Usage: $0.09876
    101-130% of Baseline: $0.11692
    131-200% of Baseline: $0.29734
    201-300% of Baseline: $0.33734

Summer Off-Peak Usage
    Baseline Usage: $0.03743
    101-130% of Baseline: $0.05559
    131-200% of Baseline: $0.15808
    201-300% of Baseline: $0.19808

Winter Partial Peak Usage
    Baseline Usage: $0.09864
    101-130% of Baseline: $0.11679
    131-200% of Baseline: $0.29721
    201-300% of Baseline: $0.33721

Winter Off-Peak Usage
    Baseline Usage: $0.04680
    101-130% of Baseline: $0.06495
    131-200% of Baseline: $0.15808
    201-300% of Baseline: $0.19808

Note that winter rates are in effect since 11/1, and there is no winter peak rate apparently.

Assuming that when I get my Model S I'll stay within my current tiers, I will be paying about 20 cents per KwH if I charge my car in the off-peak hours. That amounts to about $71 added to my bill each month with 1,000 miles per month driving.

Still pretty cheap compared to my current Kia Optima's fuel cost of $280 per month.

I don't know the rates for Ties 5. But I'm looking forward to the new EV schedule where they will do away with tiering all together. Does anyone know if that schedule has been approved and when it will become effective?
    Last edited by mulder1231; 2012-11-14 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strider View Post
    Can I call PG&E and move to the new plan now? Granted we're moving into Winter and I haven't looked at those rates.
    I would wait until summer rates come back. The new plan has times for Peak rates, even on weekends, so old winter is better than new winter unless you're squarely in Tier 5 (maybe).

Like I said, I never got actual TOU data, so I can't easily tell for sure.
    Last edited by smorgasbord; 2012-11-13 at 10:42 PM.

So I have my first bill w/ both the Roadster and Model S. I am soundly into Tier 5 (I assume that's the Over 300%) line. I just crunched the numbers with ALL of my part peak as Schedule EV peak time (which is isn't but I can't be bothered to mine the SmartMeter data) and the new rate would save me $40/month. So my actual savings would be more since there is some part peak in there. So it looks pretty definitive for me with two EV's and no solar to offset the new rates are better. Going to call PG&E and see if I can switch now.

Update: Just called PG&E and the new rate is not yet active. The lady I talked to said not until the summer.
    Last edited by strider; 2013-01-15 at 03:32 PM.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

The new "EV" rates aren't expected to be out until about mid-year (perhaps later).

Thread Information