Thread: Cup holders (and cheese....)

Blog Entries
    Or simply buy these?

Name:  41I4Pu87rIL._SS500_.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  27.6 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contaygious View Post
    So what about BMW who uses the "premium luxury" definition?
    BMW has not exactly been the poster-child of cup holder considerations. Not sure this example will go the way you'd like it to go ...
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I just thought it was funny when I saw that on the BMW site that's all. Our mini couple holders are awful, but we don't mind.

I actually prefer to use the rear holders in cars to keep the drink out of site in the front and out of my way.
    P427 Performance White/Tan

Blog Entries
    So I guess it would be fair to say that 'premium luxury' equates to 'really poor cup holder considerations'. Glad we got that worked out!

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I rented an RV the past two weeks..l very late model....

No vanity mirrors (expected) and no cupholders except for three for the front two seats.

Hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

^for the^in the

As a Brit, I am going to take a deep breath and ask this question. It's asked in a friendly way, and I am GENUINELY baffled by this:

Why are Americans absolutely fixated by and obsessed with cupholders? They hold cups. You need five max in a family saloon (sorry, sedan). They need to hold a cup for each occupant of the vehicle, assuming all of the occupants require liquid replenishment all at the same time. One would imagine the drink gets drunk fairly quickly, otherwise it will go cold if it's a hot drink and go warm and flat if it's a can of pop (sorry, soda). If it's flat water or something unfizzy, it will taste brackish and odd after a while. When you have drunk said drink, surely (as someone mentioned above) the cupholder is superfluous and the can/bottle will get put in a rubbish bin (sorry, trashcan)? So, what is the big deal about them? Before anyone jumps on me and says "In the US we drive 785 miles to do our weekly shopping" let me assure you that I have a job where I drive about 1000 miles a week, so if cupholders were an issue, they would certainly be an issue with me. I have a car that has two cupholders in the front. I use them rarely, but yes it's useful on occasion, if I have had an early start and need a strong coffee to kickstart me, for example. I did not base my decision to buy the car on it's capability to keep beverages in a fixed position, and as long as I have blood in my veins and a brain in my head, I never will.
    Can someone enlighten me?

The air inside the cabin dries up when A/C is running. From my little experience in U.S., if you have A/C, run it. A rather startling experience for central European climate zone dwellers (awww I see great Britain belonging to the European continent here, but don't want to start yet another discussion).
    So, taking a sip every few minutes while driving prevents your respiratory system from drying out.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Good questions; let me attempt equally good answers (to amplify @VolkerP's response):
    1. America has been overrun by drive-thru windows, with people eating and drinking in their cars regularly. We have also become "super-sized", thereby requiring beefy holders in our cars for oversized containers.
    2. The German automakers, in particular, failed to recognize this issue, fitting many premium cars with inadequate cupholders. So, this reaction on the Model S is in part a learned response.
    3. Your scenario--one cupholder per seat, toss the drink in the rubbish bin afterwards--is entirely reasonable. The Model S, however, only has one cupholder per seat for the front row, and none for the back. Nor does it provide any discreet place for a rubbish bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Good questions; let me attempt equally good answers (to amplify @VolkerP's response):
    1. America has been overrun by drive-thru windows, with people eating and drinking in their cars regularly. We have also become "super-sized", thereby requiring beefy holders in our cars for oversized containers.
    2. The German automakers, in particular, failed to recognize this issue, fitting many premium cars with inadequate cupholders. So, this reaction on the Model S is in part a learned response.
    3. Your scenario--one cupholder per seat, toss the drink in the rubbish bin afterwards--is entirely reasonable. The Model S, however, only has one cupholder per seat for the front row, and none for the back. Nor does it provide any discreet place for a rubbish bin.
    Good answers! Fair enough, I suppose... still a bit baffling for a Limey, but it makes more sense now. I have never been called "reasonable" before, I may quote you in my pub conversation this evening.....

Blog Entries
    Also please note that not ALL Americans have this issue.

Thread Information