Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Beta 1: A glimpse of the future from the passenger seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Strange, I thought the betas were already built and were just being tested on their way to RCs? Maybe I was thinking Alphas, but I DID think the betas were built already.

*edit* They're Beta 2s

The next phase, the Beta 2, will be built in Tesla's new Fremont, California factory. 50 of these cars will be built starting this month. The Beta 2 model will not only help Tesla employees further refine the car, but it will also test the new production facility.

Read more: Tesla Model S Beta 1: A glimpse of the future from the passenger seat | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

Going to cross-post this, but this article also quotes some HP numbers:

The electric motor is rated at 362 horsepower and 306 pound-feet of torque, that latter number available from 0 to 7,000 rpm.

*edit* another mistake?

Tesla has already announced it is working on a second car for its model line-up, the Model X, which will take the form of a crossover. It is expected to be more affordable than the Model S.

Last edited:
Strange, I thought the betas were already built and were just being tested on their way to RCs? Maybe I was thinking Alphas, but I DID think the betas were built already.
*edit* They're Beta 2s

Yes, the current Betas were apparently not built at the new Tesla factory.
The Beta2 units are supposed to be the first ones that roll of the production machinery in the new Fremont factory.
Part of Beta2 would be to make sure the equipment is working properly to produce cars, not just to make more tweaks to the car itself (although I assume they will make some changes.)

It was stated at the event that the crash test cars have to be produced at the factory by the production robots so they are fully representative of the regular production cars. I assume the crash test video we saw was an in-house test, not a federal certification test.

Last edited: