Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Rumors] Spoke to an Insider Yesterday...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And he said the following:

-Model 3 looks very similar to Model S, just smaller and without luxury features like leather seats
-Cost saving is due to Gigafactory, smaller battery and economy features
-Possible release of smaller, stripped down Model X at same time (not sure if name is Model Y)

We'll see if this is true next month!

-Model 3 looks very similar to Model S, just smaller and without luxury features like leather seats.
Note that the Base S does not have leather seats. They are an option.
I am sure they will also be an option for the 3. How "similar" the 3 will look compared to the S is of course a subjective judgement. I for one will bet that the 3 front end will look very different. Rear may well be similar, and side profile will likely be similar except for a higher rear deck to give the second row passengers more headroom. That is necessary because of the shorter wheelbase and the fact that the motor/inverter is just behind the rear seats.

Reactions: Gilzo

-Model 3 looks very similar to Model S, just smaller and without luxury features like leather seats
-Cost saving is due to Gigafactory, smaller battery and economy features
-Possible release of smaller, stripped down Model X at same time (not sure if name is Model Y)

We'll see if this is true next month!

Hmm. When the media speculated there would be 2 reveals that was immediately shot down by Tesla. They reiterated only 1 car would be revealed.

Cost savings statements aren't exactly rumor- they were addressed by Elon on the earnings report call.

I would be very happy with a smaller MS (with X nose) but we'll see...

I would love it if the Model ≡ and Model Y were released at the same time. Though I don't think it would be in Tesla's best interest to do so. Also, yes, Tesla has said that the releases would separate (but, maybe they are just gearing up for a big surprise for us?).

Leather Seats not being an option is ridiculous. But I don't think that any of us expect them to be standard.

Hard to guess the appearance, I won't even speculate the overall appearance, because the options are too vast.

Model S and Model X both look very nice IMO. I'd be very happy with a "small" version of either one of them. Though, I believe that we'll see a mix of their styling, with something fresh added in.

It will be great to see what really happens!

Never thought leather to be luxury. All my friends in council houses (state owned) had them when I was growing up. With the problems of creases, sweat etc always thought it was lame and prefer cloth.

Good to hear about the Y and 3 at same time. If true.

Never thought leather to be luxury. All my friends in council houses (state owned) had them when I was growing up. With the problems of creases, sweat etc always thought it was lame and prefer cloth.

We discussed this at length on the forums in the past. The preoccupation with leather for seats seams to be a somewhat USA centric thing.
If you get a high end luxury car here (like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc.) they tend to all have leather, and cloth is only for their entry level vehicles.

I think some Americans are surprised when they travel to Europe and find cloth seats in a high end vehicle.

I once custom ordered a Lexus with cloth seats normally only available in Japan on that trim level. The dealer tried hard to talk me out of it saying it would kill the resale value...

Reactions: Luke42
I'm with ratsbew. Hoping for something a bit different, but then since Model3 is all about driving down costs and Tesla knows every issue with making the S then this makes sense.

Hope they can keep the same size battery pack and passenger cell and just shrink the frunk.

Hmm... a leak designed to spur discussion maybe... towards the all-vegan interior concept ?

I don't splurge for premium manufacturer seats (though I've considered aftermarket) but I am absolutely sure some sort of "Premium" seat will be offered in the Model 3.

As for the general love of leather I bet more than anything it is the smell of leather which lasts much longer than the "new car smell" giving the sign of wealth in the Cadlillac / New Yorker (with ahem Corinthian Leather) set :cool: