Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Consumer Reports Which Brands make the best Cars Full Table

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Tesla does not qualify this year because CR only has data on one Tesla model. Next year it will have data on Model S and Model X then it will qualify for a Brand score.

crcars.gif

CR did have some things to say about Tesla, though:

"Jake Fisher, director of auto testing, said because of faltering reliability scores, the Model S is no longer the top ultraluxury car and ranks behind the BMW 750i xDrive, Lexus LS 460L and Audi A8 L. He said Tesla's quality problems including issues with hatches, door handles, electric motors and batteries have increased as the automaker has ramped up production."They are having issues and they need to work that out before they introduce new models," Fisher said."

"Jake Fisher, director of auto testing, said because of faltering reliability scores, the Model S is no longer the top ultraluxury car and ranks behind the BMW 750i xDrive, Lexus LS 460L and Audi A8 L. He said Tesla's quality problems including issues with hatches, door handles, electric motors and batteries have increased as the automaker has ramped up production."They are having issues and they need to work that out before they introduce new models," Fisher said."
Oops.

As an early owner who lived through early issues with the car, I think Jake has this backward.

Reliability of things like the drivetrain and door handles have undoubtedly gone up, not gotten worse.

As an early owner who lived through early issues with the car, I think Jake has this backward.

Reliability of things like the drivetrain and door handles have undoubtedly gone up, not gotten worse.

It seems bad in 2012-2013.

Better in 2014.

Then fallen in 2015 as Tesla went from ~31k units to ~50k units per year.

CR uses a rolling 3 year average.

I am hoping for average reliability for the brand in next year's ratings.

What is an "issue" is not determined by Consumer Reports but what owners consider an issue.

And what requires a service call.

BTW My guess is if Tesla handles "issues" well for the first 10k or so Model X owners( and these early owners are the vast majority that will be sampled for next years survey) they will under report problems to CR. People that plopped down large amounts of cash 3-4 years ago for Model X are fans and friends of Tesla and really want the company to succeed.

I owned an Audi for several years before getting my Model S.

The local Audi dealer I had to take it to for service (VERY OFTEN) practically threatened me to always give 10-out-of-10 scores when the massive, multi-page JD Power & Associates customer satisfaction surveys would be sent to me. The wording of the Audi survey was such that 10-scores meant "Exceptional service" or "Beyond exceptional" and so I never gave that. I found the service to be average to good, sometimes less than average. But never exceptional. And boy the did the service managers come down hard on me for that. Next time I'd visit the shop, they'd remind me that they saw that I did not give them 10-scores, and they let me know how DISPLEASED they were with me the customer, practically guilting me into making amends for it next time. In other words, the pressure was all on ME the customer to give THEM a superior service rating regardless of whether the service warranted it.

I finally sent emails to the CEO and President of Audi USA and told them in no uncertain terms that they did not deserve top service scores because they did not EARN them. Finally I told them I was glad to announce I had just ordered a Tesla Model S. I would get emails and physical mails (the latter of which were usually thick, glossy, 4-color brochures that must've cost a fortune) inviting me to Audi events galore, sneak previews, test drives of new models, etc. I would collect all that stuff, put it in an envelope, and send back to the CEO of Audi USA along with a photo of my new Model S. Eventually they got the message.

But when I see Audi at the top of this Consumer Reports list, it reminds me of the pressure tactics they resorted to in order to get unearned unfair high rankings. From everyone but me. They learned over time to stop pressuring me. Especially when I switched to Tesla.

It seems bad in 2012-2013.Better in 2014.

Then fallen in 2015 as Tesla went from ~31k units to ~50k units per year.

CR uses a rolling 3 year average.

I am hoping for average reliability for the brand in next year's ratings.

The CR ratings do not make a lot of sense ... what is the criteria for the overall rating ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=112606&d=1456385151.jpg

Last edited: