Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best way to Measure energy usage on Charging circuit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X on order. Waiting like everyone else.

Has anyone found a simple way to measure energy usage in charging the car? Is there a "kill a watt" equivalent that can help me measure total energy usage?

Thanks

Mark

There are lots of options and lots of threads on this in the Model S section. Try searching for threads with "energy monitoring". "The Energy Detective" (or TED) is one. There are several others, too, too numerous to cover.

I also looked at TED and while cool, think it's overkill. some people wire in a meter to the outlet you plug into. that options also not all that cheap.

or you could just watch your electric bills.

True. You can get a GE meter base and old reconditioned utility meter with spinning wheel and dials for about $50 or so. A handy friend could probably help wire it in place.

I have the Efergy system on my grid and solar feeds.

elite engage hub system - home energy gateway

I have the Efergy Hub so I can monitor both sensors online. Works great for a "basic" system if you think TED is overkill.

You can see the solar generation below as well as when I was charging the Model S:

efergy.png

Monitoring home power distribution is very useful and something worth having for many years.

My setup take more than 5min to install of course, but it's very powerful and compatible with all the public power monitoring portal out there. I have statistics, trending, future approximations, ...

Here what I purchased: GreenEye Monitor residential | Power/Energy Monitors | Brultech Research Inc.

Here a picture of my Smart Electrical Panel: Google+

Here a picture of the result: Google+

Monitoring home power distribution is very useful and something worth having for many years.

My setup take more than 5min to install of course, but it's very powerful and compatible with all the public power monitoring portal out there. I have statistics, trending, future approximations, ...

Here what I purchased: GreenEye Monitor residential | Power/Energy Monitors | Brultech Research Inc.

Here a picture of my Smart Electrical Panel: Google+

Here a picture of the result: Google+

My google+ links were protected. Here the pictures:

IMG_20140329_152356.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 1.45.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 1.45.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 1.47.18 PM.png

and many more !