Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: CA AB 475 Allow ticketing of vehicles not connected to chargers

Plug In America Action Alert: Urge Gov. Brown to Veto Misguided Plug-in Parking Bill - AB475
    We need to stop California Assembly Bill 475 before it becomes law. Originally this bill was meant to help consumers by allowing all plug-in hybrids to have equal access to charging infrastructure, something our organization supports. It was amended in late June, creating negative ramifications to all plug-in drivers. For months, Plug In America and other stakeholders negotiated in good faith with the bill’s sponsors, General Motors and Assembly Member Betsy Butler, to prevent charger sharing from being outlawed and to make sure existing Chevy Volts were included. Despite those efforts, this bill was rammed through the Legislature at GM’s request, without the changes the company had promised to support.
    It's now on the Governor's desk, and we need your help to stop this poorly-constructed bill from becoming law. Click here to ask Governor Brown to veto the bill. Plug In America will collaborate with stakeholders to put a revised bill in play as soon as possible, that will protect these chargers for all plug-in vehicles, while saving the drivers and site owners from unintended consequences, and the state from wasteful use of already limited funding. It will provide for EV and plug-in hybrid parking. Please help us ask the Governor to stop this law from punishing everyone!
    Thank you,
    Jay Friedland
    Legislative Director
    Plug In America
    I emphasized the "make sure existing Chevy Volts were included"... Does the bill do something that would not permit 2011s, but would permit 2012s?
    Last edited by TEG; 2011-08-26 at 03:50 PM.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    In Redwood City today:

Thankfully the Roadster didn't seem to have a J-adapter, because the Volt & Leaf needed the 2 ChargePoints.
    So Volts seem to be having no problem using public charging....
    What was the purpose of this legislation again?

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    So Volts seem to be having no problem using public charging....
    What was the purpose of this legislation again?
    Yeah, hardly any of the public charge spots were signed and enforced for the old law, so the Volt was pulling right up unhindered.
    I heard that GM was worried that ZEV-owners might unplug the Volts, but in fact (in the case of the photo there), I used my ChargePass card to activate the ChargePoint for the Volt owner since they hadn't signed up yet.
    Last edited by TEG; 2011-08-31 at 05:43 PM.

parking_Controversy
    ...I think GM was worried that drivers of electric vehicles would unplug Volts when they needed to charge...
    ...Another consequence of this bill that hasn't been identified by anyone so far is the drag it may have on rolling out infrastructure. If I was an owner of a shopping mall or other business the last thing I would want is to have my customers cars towed just because they forgot to connect the charger, or because someone maliciously unplugged a charger. This is especially true in places were parking is in very short supply...
    ...AB 475 benefits nobody except PHEV makers and the oil companies. It is a piece of legislation that is going to hinder, not assist the sale of electric vehicles and as such it is a bad bad law. The California assembly has already passed this abomination and it is now on the governor's desk waiting his approval. I hope that Governor Brown has the sense to listen to the EV community, which is telling him this legislation is anti EV, and veto's this bill...

Last edited by TEG; 2011-08-31 at 05:42 PM.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    I hope that Governor Brown has the sense to listen to the EV community, which is telling him this legislation is anti EV, and veto's this bill...
    Any indication as to whether or not Brown is getting the message? You'd think it would be pretty cut and dried that a bill purported to help the EV community, and yet is unwanted by that same community should be killed.

Thread Information