Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First road trip in two days...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving from L.A. up to Sedona, AZ on Thursday and it'll be my first lengthy drive with multiple SC's.

I personally feel like I'll enjoy spacing out the trip with super chargers. Seems like it would break up a trip nicely. Obviously we're all completely biased and smitten with our cars, but I was curious how people feel about the consistent breaks in the route. Do you enjoy the stops? Or are you counting down the minutes until you can get the heck outta there???

I'm driving from L.A. up to Sedona, AZ on Thursday and it'll be my first lengthy drive with multiple SC's.

I personally feel like I'll enjoy spacing out the trip with super chargers. Seems like it would break up a trip nicely. Obviously we're all completely biased and smitten with our cars, but I was curious how people feel about the consistent breaks in the route. Do you enjoy the stops? Or are you counting down the minutes until you can get the heck outta there???

Depends on whether there is an appointment on he other side of the trip or if the point is the trip... I add 40-100 miles on top of the charge on a long trip to give me a 20-50 mile buffer off the beaten path...

On regular routes, much lower and get going.

I drove DC to Florida and back over the holidays and for me, you're mostly right. I drove with a wife and five-year-old kid and for most of the stops, by the time we were done finding the bathrooms and getting snacks and whatever else, the car was long past being ready to go. There were a few stops where we didn't have much to do and ended up waiting on the car, but it wasn't unpleasant to do so, and still made for a nice break.

It helps to plan your stops around your breaks. If you have lunch next to a supercharger, it's nicer than having lunch in between and then waiting around at the next one. The same is true, to a lesser extent, for pit stops.

This trip will be leisurely for sure. I'm sure that is a huge factor though in general.

I would suggest reading our trip across the country from Southern California to Maine from last May... - Here, There, and EVerywhere My ActiveE made me Accidentally Environmental

That was a leisurely trip, though I didn't take your route, it should provide some hints... I also suggest downloading the Teslarati app... Lots more content now. I was part of beta and helped add initial content, but more dynamic now, and includes destination charging info, etc.

Rule #1 - Have fun.

I would suggest reading our trip across the country from Southern California to Maine from last May... - Here, There, and EVerywhere My ActiveE made me Accidentally Environmental

That was a leisurely trip, though I didn't take your route, it should provide some hints... I also suggest downloading the Teslarati app... Lots more content now. I was part of beta and helped add initial content, but more dynamic now, and includes destination charging info, etc.

Rule #1 - Have fun.

Great stuff thanks! I'll definitely check it all out.

I definitely enjoy being able to stretch my legs out every couple of hours! Some supercharger locations don't have much to do or see around the area, but the wait isn't too bad as long as you aren't pressed for time :smile:

It's amazing how many anti-Tesla people seem to point out that I HAVE to stop every few hours. "I could never be limited like that, having to stop every 2 or 3 hours" But when I travel with my family I have to stop anyway. I could go longer if it was just me, but it gives me the excuse to go out, explore, meet people, look around, etc.

The time it saves me every week from going to the gas station more than makes up for the extra stop or two on a long tip (if you could how much time you "waste" charging).

I just got back from my first road trip with the family. We really enjoyed the breaks. We rarely "had" to wait much at all, but usually chose to give ourselves a little extra buffer charge. This is not the way I'd want to travel in a hurry, but if the journey itself is part of the trip, it's a great way to travel. Bonus: you get to see a bunch of other Teslas!

We made the trip from SW Florida to San Jose CA this last December. Wandered down the CA coast then thru Phoenix and back to Florida in 21 days. We spent 4 1/2 days on the trip west and visited 31 Superchargers with one destination charge in New Orleans. The trip back east we visited 32 and never did a destination charge. A fellow owner we met at the Baton Rouge SC reassured us we could make the trip between Baton Rouge and Mobile if we took it easy. That is exactly what we did it and arrived with 61 miles range. We put about 7500 miles on our 3 month old car. We met some interesting people along the way and enjoyed the trip. We never got out of the car complaining our backs or legs ached. We discovered lots of little out of the way places while we waited for the car to charge. Just relax and enjoy.

We made the trip from SW Florida to San Jose CA this last December. Wandered down the CA coast then thru Phoenix and back to Florida in 21 days. We spent 4 1/2 days on the trip west and visited 31 Superchargers with one destination charge in New Orleans. The trip back east we visited 32 and never did a destination charge. A fellow owner we met at the Baton Rouge SC reassured us we could make the trip between Baton Rouge and Mobile if we took it easy. That is exactly what we did it and arrived with 61 miles range. We put about 7500 miles on our 3 month old car. We met some interesting people along the way and enjoyed the trip. We never got out of the car complaining our backs or legs ached. We discovered lots of little out of the way places while we waited for the car to charge. Just relax and enjoy.

Fantastic

The stops mean you are far less fatigued both while driving later on and at the end of the day. On our 11,000 mile trip in 2014 the car was ready before we were around 98% of the time, on superchargers. The few times we went off the SpC route, the waiting was a bit of a pain (RV parks for 3-4 hours, etc). But superchargers: they change the game entirely.

I'd recommend taking an audiobook or two, for the long stretches of less scenic driving. Or if you've just had "too much scenery" and are overloaded!

We just did the Phoenix-Las Vegas round trip last weekend and never had to stop for more than 15-20 minutes at the 2 SCs we visited (Wickenburg and Kingman). Perfect for a leg stretch and bio break.

Like another poster stated, add 50 miles or so to what the nav says your distance between SCs is, don't drive like a bat out of [heck], and enjoy the ride!

You've got two decent Supercharger routes from LA to Sedona. You might enjoy taking the Barstow-Needles-Kingman-Flagstaff route in one direction and the Cordes Lake-Wickenburg-Quartzsite-Indio route the other direction; or vice versa. I mentioned Wickenburg instead of Buckeye just because it's a prettier drive; and you might spot AudubonB hanging about Wickenburg, too... :wink:

However you do it, you'll enjoy the trip. Traveling from Supercharger to Supercharger is relaxing and only a bit slower than the same route in a gas-powered car. I've done up to 800 miles in a day, solo, using Superchargers and though it's a long day of driving, you arrive remarkably fresh.

You've got two decent Supercharger routes from LA to Sedona. You might enjoy taking the Barstow-Needles-Kingman-Flagstaff route in one direction and the Cordes Lake-Wickenburg-Quartzsite-Indio route the other direction; or vice versa. I mentioned Wickenburg instead of Buckeye just because it's a prettier drive; and you might spot AudubonB hanging about Wickenburg, too... :wink:

However you do it, you'll enjoy the trip. Traveling from Supercharger to Supercharger is relaxing and only a bit slower than the same route in a gas-powered car. I've done up to 800 miles in a day, solo, using Superchargers and though it's a long day of driving, you arrive remarkably fresh.

Awesome, I did see there were a couple of different route choices that looked different. Maybe I'll try both! Great tip thanks.

I just did that trip on my way to New Mexico. We enjoyed all the stops and got there much more relaxed.

Here are some tips.

1. Make sure that you stop at Cabazon or Indo and get more charge than you need or trip planner tells you that you need. After Indio there is an elevation change that saps range. Trip planner told me I did not need to stop from Menifee to quartzite (200 miles) and did not alarm till well after Indio. I got to quartzite with 0%.

2. Take your time and explore the quartzite supercharger stop. There are several affordable stands with trinkets, cool rocks, and other things to buy. Across the street from the Carl's Jr. Is where you will find them and because this is a big RV area on the weekends there are several tents setup within walking distance for more vendors and artist to enjoy.

3. Most likely you will get routed around Pheonix. Make sure that you get a full charge ( at least 80%) at either WickenBurg or Cordes lakes. After Cordez lakes you have another major elevation change. WickenBurg has more things to do for a long stop. Cordez lakes is just a gas station with a subway and Mexican food and nothing else. Really a bad place to kill time. If you need a charge try and plan only a short stop at Cordez lakes. WickenBurg is a better stop, more to explore.

4. Lastly, enjoy the scenery. Driving thru Arizona is really nice. Your going to go thru some really nice changes in scenery. There are also plenty of places to explore along the way.

Just adding a few items:

Do not rely on the Tesla Trip Planner that is accessed on the touchscreen. It is still wonky, and generally has you raring to go to your next stop with a 5% buffer. Personally, I would never leave with only 5% reserve as too many unforeseen things can arise over your next leg. People on this site have their own personal comfort levels with the amount of buffer they desire before departing. Some will go as low as 8-10%; others generally are more conservative at 15-20%. Instead, input your next charge or your destination each time you stop to charge, and then look at the "trip" tab on the energy screen. This will display a line graph showing current capacity, and estimated capacity at your next stop. It is pretty gosh darn accurate if you drive with the flow of traffic (not exceedingly fast), as it does factor elevation gains and losses into your usage. It does NOT factor in variables like weather and heater/AC usage. Cold weather, rain or snow, headwinds or crosswinds can really chew up your usage. Once you get underway, the trip graph will extrapolate your remaining state of charge based upon your actual driving pattern. You might very well leave X with a 20% reserve to Y and see that reserve drop faster than originally anticipated because you are driving into a headwind, or it is raining hard with a lot of water on the pavement. When you are unsure, you can always start out slower than you would ordinarily drive (say 63-68 MPH instead of 74-78 MPH) and then increase your speed as you feel comfortable with the amount of range remaining vis-a-vis the distance to your next charge.

Next, scout out your charging options on PlugShare or on Tesla's web page. Some of the locations (like Needles) are not the best. Needles has four stations in the parking lot for a Dairy Queen. Two were ICEd when I was there this past May. With a decent charge at Barstow, you would only need about 10-15 minutes at Needles to make Kingman, which is slightly better than Needles. (In other words, if you want to eat, eat at Chili's in Barstow. Use Needles for a pit stop break!)

I am not sure where you will be departing in LA, but you do have some options. You likely could skip Rancho Cucamonga and stop in Barstow first if you left with a range charge from home. But Rancho Cucamonga-->Needles bypassing Barstow is nigh on impossible unless you drove 50. Similarly, I made it with a range charge from Kingman to Barstow (Needles had not been built then) with 38 miles of range remaining by driving 68 in Arizona (all downhill to the Colorado River) and 64 in California until I reached Ludlow, and then I drove 74 into Barstow. There was no wind that day.

I had a panhandler amble up to me in Quartzsite a year ago December! (I was not aware of the locals peddling their wares across the street from Carl's Jr.)

In any event, you will have a blast! Supercharging changed me. I am much more relaxed stopping every 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours to stretch, walk around, and do whatever else for that 15-50 minute time period.