Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What smart watch to get to work with Tesla...and Blackberry user...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a delivery booked for March and I have been looking into getting a smart watch and have seen some videos of people controlling various options in the Tesla with them. At this point I am open to just about any model but my biggest problem may be the fact that I am a BlackBerry user, currently using a BlackBerry Passport. I don't think the app for the car will work on the Passport :( I do know the app works on my wife's BlackBerry Priv. I just don't know a lot about the watches. Any recommendations?

I have a delivery booked for March and I have been looking into getting a smart watch and have seen some videos of people controlling various options in the Tesla with them. At this point I am open to just about any model but my biggest problem may be the fact that I am a BlackBerry user, currently using a BlackBerry Passport. I don't think the app for the car will work on the Passport :( I do know the app works on my wife's BlackBerry Priv. I just don't know a lot about the watches. Any recommendations?
What happens when you try the app on your Passport? I have a different OS 10 BlackBerry myself, but not a Tesla to try it out with.

Simple, get an iPhone and Apple Watch!
Nothing wrong with Apple products plus they will still be here in five years unlike Blackberry.
Plus, Apple has the best customer service, period! Similar to Tesla's.
I'd quibble with that statement about nothing wrong with Apple. Hint. Foxconn.
[video=dailymotion;x2e1jkd]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2e1jkd_apples-broken-promises_news[/video]

Last edited:
Location map? Link to calendars? I've not seen either with a z10.

The older version of the app, pre-google play had location map. Current version that requires google play will not show location map or have notifications on BB10. But the home tab shows the approximate address of where the car is. I have not tried the calendar functionality so not sure if that works.

Apple is the best choice for Tesla owners as the Apple app seems to get functionality first and there is the excellent Remote S app by Allen Wong that allows you to use your Apple Watch to control the phone. Android may be the market share leader but not necessarily in the higher income brackets which is where Tesla owners come from.

In terms of Apple devices being made with slave labour, that is a bit of an exaggeration and many of the same companies make phones for other companies or other electronics. For example Hon Hai / Foxconn makes Blackberries as well as PS4s, Xbox Ones,

The older version of the app, pre-google play had location map. Current version that requires google play will not show location map or have notifications on BB10. But the home tab shows the approximate address of where the car is. I have not tried the calendar functionality so not sure if that works.
Thanks for the reply. I've been using the newest version of the android app and it works quite well except for the Location map and calendar link-to-vehicle. Was wondering if anyone had a fix.

I'd quibble with that statement about nothing wrong with Apple. Hint. Foxconn.
Apple is made with slave labour.

BlackBerry is secure. It also has a physical keyboard, which I prefer in a phone.
MANY other companies have Foxconn and many other contract manufacturers in China make their products, not just Apple.

If you're going to rail against Foxconn, well, Blackberry uses them too, for some of their products.
BlackBerry Z3 Designer Talks About Influence and Foxconn Partnership | Inside BlackBerry
BlackBerry Enlists Foxconn to Make Phones as Sales Plunge - Bloomberg Business

They did do business w/Celestica (Research In Motion consolidating manufacturing in the shift towards BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com) which has... drum roll... manufacturing operations in China, as well.

As for "BlackBerry is secure", it's not like they're magically immune from having security vulnerabilities. See advisories at Incident Response Team - United States and BlackBerry begins slow rollout for FREAK security flaw, most devices still at risk | ZDNet, for instance.

Last edited:
The Android version of the Tesla app works on my Blackberry Z30 on my S70D. But i don't have watch, so can't comment on that.

The Tesla app (Android version) works on my Blackberry Z10 (oldie now) in Android compatibility mode.

I used an app called "Snap" on the Blackberry store to then load Android apps.
Ref:
Install Snap on BlackBerry 10 for unlimited Android app access - CNET

- - - Updated - - -

the home tab shows the approximate address of where the car is

I find this works well on my BB10 device with Android compatibility.

Namely, I know the approximate address of the car, which is plenty good enough for what I use it for, namely, to pre-heat the car for the wife before she gets back into the car to come home. Always get bonus points for these thoughtful activities. Oh so easy, and useful. ;-)

Simple, get an iPhone and Apple Watch!
Nothing wrong with Apple products plus they will still be here in five years unlike Blackberry.
Plus, Apple has the best customer service, period! Similar to Tesla's.
You're right. There's nothing wrong with Apple products if you're fine with anyone being able to access and download everything off your phone whenever they want. Or if you don't mind that your phone ignores SSL certificates. Apple's software QA is atrocious and they don't care one lick about security. Also you must not care about 3rd parties being able to grab your location constantly even when the app is closed (EDIT: it looks like they finally fixed this with iOS 9 - thanks smorg for pointing that out). So yes, there's nothing wrong with Apple products as long as you don't value privacy and security.

Blackberry will continue to have a market in people that actually care about keeping a hold of their own data and information.

But to the OP, you can load the Android app but it uses Google maps and BB's don't have the Google layer due to licensing issues so no location map. As others said, the "home page" of the app will give the street address of the car which works pretty well when the car is parked. Everything else in the app works just fine.

Since you already have a Passport I would load the Android app and use that and see if it works for you. But if a fully functioning Tesla app is a requirement for you then you'll need to switch to iOS or Android.

- - - Updated - - -

As for "BlackBerry is secure", it's not like they're magically immune from having security vulnerabilities. See advisories at Incident Response Team - United States and BlackBerry begins slow rollout for FREAK security flaw, most devices still at risk | ZDNet, for instance.
So your sole example of BB being insecure is a vulnerability in OpenSSL that affected nearly EVERY device that connects to the Internet including iOS, OS X, Windows, Android, Linux, etc, etc? Uh, yeah. Let's look at the CVE database shall we? BB had 2 vulnerabilities in 2015 and 17 since 2008. iOS had 375 in 2015 and 802 since 2008 (that's for iOS).

Security is a process and it is expensive. Some companies invest in it while most do not. Anyone who believes that Apple products are secure is quite ignorant of reality.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with Apple products if you're fine with anyone being able to access and download everything off your phone whenever they want. Or if you don't mind that your phone ignores SSL certificates.
Those are two fairly specific accusations against Apple. If they were true, I'd expect to have read about them elsewhere. Care to provide links?

You're right. There's nothing wrong with Apple products if you're fine with anyone being able to access and download everything off your phone whenever they want. Or if you don't mind that your phone ignores SSL certificates. Apple's software QA is atrocious and they don't care one lick about security. Also you must not care about 3rd parties being able to grab your location constantly even when the app is closed. So yes, there's nothing wrong with Apple products as long as you don't value privacy and security.

Hyperbole, exaggeration, and omission of circumstances doesn't help. I'm not an expert by any means, but let's take these one at a time.

1) iPhone ignores SSL certificates
First, iOS has built-in support for SSL, including certificate handling, but it is up to each app to implement how security is handled. If you're using Apple's standard framework to develop your app (eg, NSURLConnection), then the security should be good. About 3 years ago it was reported that some iPhone apps were not properly checking SSL certs for validity. That meant they'd accept any certificate from anybody. I don't believe this was or is a problem with any Apple-provided app. Matter of fact, the problem is probably in apps not written specifically for the iPhone and so they don't take advantage of the native security tools built into iOS.

2) Apple's software QA is atrocious
I can't fight a negative without specifics, so I'll let it stand. There was, after all, this report in 2014. My own experience is that my iPhones and apps are no worse than my close friends' Android phones or the people at Blackberry with whom I work that are required to have Blackberry's if they want to use their phone for work.

3) They don't care one lick about security
Again a negative without specifics. Unlike Google, for instance, they are very careful about what data they collect on their users. In talking with engineers who work for Apple about ideas I had for them, they countered back that Apple would never collect that kind of data on their users. Here's an article on Apple's respect for their users privacy:

iOS extensions were designed to prevent them from being able to circumvent a user’s privacy settings. No keyboards sniffing keystrokes and sending them off to the Internet (as has happened on Android).
Both HealthKit and HomeKit are designed so users control their own data, and must explicitly allow it to be shared with outsiders.
With Touch ID, not only does your fingerprint never leave the device, but apps can never see anything stored in the Secure Enclave.
The privacy-minded DuckDuckGo search engine will be a default option, right next to Bing and Google.
And when you really dig into the details, you learn that Apple lets you NSA-proof your iCloud keychain, encrypts Messages and FaceTime calls end-to-end, protects an employee’s personal information from his or her employer when using Mobile Device Management, and has designed the iPhone without law-enforcement back doors.

But in the most telling recent news of all, it appears the Apple will randomize the Wi-Fi hardware address of iOS devices to frustrate location and advertising trackers who use this address to know who you are when you move around in public. This is a subtle feature that the vast majority of iOS users won’t ever realize exists, even as it protects them.

This is a company that destroys the keys to its encryption hardware after setting them up in the data center, just in case an employee decides to sneak in a back door or hand the keys off to a government agency. It designed systems like iMessages that a government could technically force them to sniff, but only with a fundamental change to the system architecture.

4) Also you must not care about 3rd parties being able to grab your location constantly even when the app is closed.

This is something that you can enable or disable either for everything, or on a per app basis. I just bought a new iPhone and part of the setup is asking you if apps can grab your location even when they're closed. So, if you care, get an iPhone for you will have control over this.

Anyway, I don't and haven't worked for Apple, I own a insignificant amount of Apple stock. I like a lot of their products. My experience with those products, and in discussions with Apple engineers is that Apple cares about security, privacy, and quality. The way that Apple checks apps that get listed in their App Store helps protect you from rogue applications that could try to access your data. Yeah, apps will slip by every now and then but it's way better in terms of security than the wild west that is Google Play.

Last edited: