Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Mountain Power To Offer Tesla Powerwall Starting At $37.50 Per Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Green Mountain Power To Offer Tesla Powerwall Starting At $37.50 Per Month

1. Customers who share access of the battery will pay about $37.50 a month with no upfront cost, which equals $1.25 a day.
  2. Customers can also choose to purchase the Powerwall for about $6,500, share access with GMP, and get a monthly bill credit of $31.76, which represents the value of leveraging the battery to help lower peak energy costs.
  3. And Vermonters can buy the Powerwall outright from GMP with no shared access for about $6,500

this deal looks bad for several reasons

first, you have to share access...which means at any point when power cuts out who knows what the exact state of charge it will be at.

second, even though they are using the 7kWh version (the one meant for daily usage), they are the ones using it daily to reduce their bills, not yours. you only use it when your power goes out. doesn't seem like you can use it to reduce your peak load costs...

third, they are ripping you off pretty hard core. if you want to purchase it outright they are charging you double ($6500) the actual retail sale price of $3k for the 7kWh version.

i don't know who in their right mind would sign up for this offer.

Last edited:
Agreed, that is not a compelling offer from Green Mountain, in my opinion.
I am still waiting to hear from Tesla Energy as to the status of the Powerwall I reserved the day after it launched this year. There does not seem to be anyone at Tesla to talk to or communicate with about the Powerwall.

I am still waiting to hear from Tesla Energy as to the status of the Powerwall I reserved the day after it launched this year. There does not seem to be anyone at Tesla to talk to or communicate with about the Powerwall.

lol you didn't get a call from SolarCity? it was SolarCity who called me after my Powerwall reservation at which point I immediately canceled my reservation since I don't want anything to do with SolarCity and their outrageous pricing plans either.

I did not get a call from SolarCity, likely because I had already been in touch with them in 2014 and they refused to install a PV system on my roof, saying they do not install on foam roofs, even though under questioning they admitted they did currently install on foam roofs in Arizona (I live in California).
But back on topic...it would be interesting to know if anyone in Vermont goes for the Green Mountain Powerwall offer. I don't understand why anyone would, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sounds like "Please donate us some money and allow us to install a battery in your basement so we can balance the grid! Oh, if you're lucky it's possible that you won't be affected by the next power outage. Or maybe not."

I'd only want a battery in my house if I can profit from cheap energy at night (or at noon, or whenever) and possibly sell at peak rates. Might not make a difference economically, but it feels "better" since it's not clear from the beginning (unless I do the math) that it is a finanical loss to me.

Musk had indicated that households with solar installed already have the required inverters, so no extra cost for that.
That still doesn't answer the question about the details of the Green Mountain Power price details. Musk's statement implies that the "solar installed" have to already have a PowerWall compatability inverter. As of today that would be a Fronius or SolarEdge inverter, not one of the other hundred of inverters that are also installed around the country.

From Pilot to Permanent: Green Mountain Power’s Home Battery Network Is Here to Stay

Utility pilot projects aren’t famous for being standout financial successes. Usually, the goal is to verify a technology in the field before attempting broader deployment. Sometimes nothing follows the pilot.

Vermont utility Green Mountain Power not only verified the efficacy of residential batteries for meeting grid needs, but it also saved its customers millions of dollars with them. Now, that program has been ratified by the state’s Public Utility Commission as a permanent residential storage tariff, which means battery installations — and utility savings — will continue to rise.

At a time when forward-thinking companies are excited to erect networks of distributed batteries at some point in the next few years, Green Mountain Power represents something of an anomaly. It already has not several hundred, but 2,567 utility-controlled Powerwall batteries sitting in customer homes, adding up to around 13 megawatts.

“These things are functioning exactly as or better than we hoped,” said Josh Castonguay, GMP vice president and chief innovation officer. “You’ve got an asset that’s improving reliability for the customer, paying for itself and providing a financial benefit for all of our customers.”

By discharging those batteries during hours when ISO New England grid faces monthly and annual peak demand, GMP reduces the payments it owes to the grid operator. Those savings — $3 million in the first three quarters of 2020 — pass on to the utility customer base. Households that host the batteries also benefit from backup power when the grid goes down. The network supplied 16,000 hours of backup power this year.