Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot subject to dirty sensors.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I washed my car on Wednesday and Autopilot worked great out of the gate. But I wonder what happens when the various sensors are dirty... Anyone have an engineering viewpoint on this?

Obstructed sensors would hurt, but I don't think a film of dirt would affect either radar or sonic sensors. Ability of the forward camera to read speed limit signs could be hampered by a very dirty windshield; think big bug (or bird) mess in front of the lens.

Thats what I'm going to tell the wife so I don't get repeated questions of, "You are washing your car AGAIN?! I need you to watch the kids!"

"Sorry Honey, dirt affects the safety of my vehicle."
Ooh.. That's good! Now come up with what to say when my wife gives me the "you need to stop talking about the car" look when we're out with friends. [emoji1]

autopilot won't work went that front radar can't read. so whenever TACC won't work, neither will autopilot. this is a very common problem. i was just at springfield SC a few days ago and a gentleman was there complaining about how the cruise control never works because it keeps flaking out in rainy and bad weather. so that problem still doesn't seem solved...

autopilot won't work went that front radar can't read. so whenever TACC won't work, neither will autopilot. this is a very common problem. i was just at springfield SC a few days ago and a gentleman was there complaining about how the cruise control never works because it keeps flaking out in rainy and bad weather. so that problem still doesn't seem solved...

It's never been an issue for me, so apparently it's limited to specific cars. I've used TACC in heavy rain (the thunderstorm variety) and it worked without issue. Now in super-heavy downpours it will go off, but with that much rain you generally need to slow down quite a bit anyway.

The autopilot doesn't work when it's raining if there is no traffic on the road. Must not be able to see the lines on the road. Driving home today I got nothing unless a car was in front of me.

Seems like the the range of the radar is about 100 meters... Picks up cars around that range.