Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call for Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from Tesla Montréal offering a Model S test drive "in anticipation of the commencement of deliveries for the Model X" - their words.

They also ended with "while they patiently anticipate the launch of the Model X in Canada".

Will call to get some clarity. Anyone else in Canada get a similar call?

It's not all that surprising. When I emailed and asked to take a test drive of Model X, I was directed to the local showroom to drive Model S as "they are built on the same platform and dive similarly."

Uh, yeah, been driving a Model S since January 2013, I'm pretty familiar with it.

It's not all that surprising. When I emailed and asked to take a test drive of Model X, I was directed to the local showroom to drive Model S as "they are built on the same platform and dive similarly."

Uh, yeah, been driving a Model S since January 2013, I'm pretty familiar with it.
To be fair, you're probably going to find a Model X pretty familiar. So that's not off base for them to say that IMO.

To be fair, you're probably going to find a Model X pretty familiar. So that's not off base for them to say that IMO.

Actually maybe on the cars handling, but not the driving part. I have tried to sit in the MS and found the seats uncomfortable, the car hard to get in and out of and the visibility lacking. I had a few minutes in Elon's MX at the reveal and most of those issues were not there.

This was my biggest reason to go the event because I really wanted a Tesla but the ergonomics of the MS did not cut it for me. The MX looks to have handled those issues.

I heard back from Tesla today. They are reaching out to all Model X reservation holders and offering Model S test drives to familiarize customers with Tesla and electric cars in general. The assumption is that handling will be similar. I was hoping for some new information, but really wasn't able to get much new that hasn't been discussed here already.

For Canada the salesman was estimating the already established P90D and 90D Model S price plus $5000. So a 90D would likely start around $112k. No info on smaller battery options. No info on what features will be included as base and what will be offered as options.

He believes that all Signature and Production reservations should be invited by December. This would apply to Canada as well as US. Hope he is right...

I took a Model S test drive to familiarize myself with the handling, interior, etc before making my Model X reservation. In 2013. I certainly don't need to do that again and I can't imagine there are more than 5% of Model X reservation holders who have never driven a Model S.

Actually, I had made my reservation in 2012 and only recently test drove a Model S a few months ago. I test drove a P85D, but wouldn't mind trying out a 90D to get a better idea of performance. Obviously the X won't be the same, but it should give me an idea of what to expect.

I took a Model S test drive to familiarize myself with the handling, interior, etc before making my Model X reservation. In 2013. I certainly don't need to do that again and I can't imagine there are more than 5% of Model X reservation holders who have never driven a Model S.

Actually, I specifically did not take a Model S test drive because I was looking at a long wait (I placed my deposit within a month of the prototype reveal) and I didn't want to be nagged by the experience of knowing what it would be like - possibly leading me to getting a Model S instead which won't meet my needs as well as the X (also, it gave me a couple of years to worry about finances). I went in to a new dealership that opened a few miles away about a year ago and considered a test drive, but decided I'd wait for the X to ship first. I don't mind having that open-ended $5K loan on Tesla's books (even though I know that they can't actually acknowledge the money financially until I finalize, it provides some form of moral support). Now that the X is here I may consider a Model S test drive to tide me over.

However I did test drive a Roadster back before the X was even revealed, but that car was just too impractical to consider (maybe as an extra car, but I tend to have 1 car and multiple motorcycles, not the other way around) so it didn't haunt me.

Meanwhile, I got an electric motorcycle in 2013 instead to satisfy my EV needs...